Mental Health Question

Mental Health Question

This is a discussion on Mental Health Question within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; After the second of my wife's former boyfriends had killed himself, she was sent by her parents to in-patient therapy when she was 19. She ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Mental Health Question

Mental Health Question

After the second of my wife's former boyfriends had killed himself, she was sent by her parents to in-patient therapy when she was 19. She is now 34 and very normal :)

Does this disqualify her from getting a concealed carry license in Colorado?

You will probably have to check a local law guru, but remember, she now is certified by experts as being sane. Not a claim many can make.

Depends on the state statutes regarding disqualifying CHL elements. Generally, such statutes specify having being adjudicated mentally incompetent, or otherwise a threat to others/self via the courts. But it'll depend on the specific statute(s) in question, and on the specific nature of the commission and whether it was, legally speaking, essentially just therapy sessions or something far more than that.

I'd recommend checking the basic CHL/firearm related statutes. If it's still in question, ditto on the idea of checking with a competent person in the state who's knowledgeable about this aspect of firearms ownership/use.

Here are two places to begin your search:

By no means take these as the final word on the matter. Just use them to begin your exploration on the question. Very likely, it's not as simple as just one nicely-worded statute where you expect to find it.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Nothing I have seen would disqualify her,
    if it had been court ordered there could be an issue.
    (This is presuming she is in CO as your info indicates.)

From USA carry

Requirements:
    1. Colorado resident
    2. Age 21 or older
    3. Not precluded by state or federal law from owning or possessing a firearm (e.g. felony conviction, mentally incompetent)
    4. Does not chronically or habitually abuse alcohol
    5. Is not an unlawful user of or addicted to controlled substances
    6. Is not the subject of a civil or criminal restraining order
    7. Complete background check, including fingerprint verification by FBI/CBI
    8. Demonstrates competence with a handgun by one of the following means:
    a. evidence of experience with a firearm through participation in organized shooting competitions or current military service
    b. certified firearms instructor
    c. honorable discharge from the Armed Forces within past three yearss
    d. proof of pistol qualification in Armed Forces within past ten years, if discharged
    e. retired law enforcement with pistol qualification within past ten years
    f. proof of completion of a handgun training class within the past ten years
    Mors est libertas

MALAD JUSTED

If there's any question she should probably consult a lawyer before applying. Perhaps since it was so long ago her record could be expunged/cleared etc?? (Just thoughts...I don't know if that's an option)

Is this statement for real????????????????

Quote Originally Posted by tony1990 View Post
    Sure, why not? Many have gone through "therapy" sessions or had brief periods of needing help in earlier times. Doesn't mean they've necessarily been adjudicated as mental threats/defectives/incompetents so far as the firearms-related laws are concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by FreeTexan View Post
    After the second of my wife's former boyfriends had killed himself, she was sent by her parents to in-patient therapy when she was 19. She is now 34 and very normal :)
    Do you have a misplaced modifier, or do you mean to say that your wife actually had two former boyfriends who killed themselves?

If so, you're a brave, brave man.
    Crowman, phreddy and Grant48 like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Do you have a misplaced modifier, or do you mean to say that your wife actually had two former boyfriends who killed themselves?

If so, you're a brave, brave man.
    You gotta cut back on the coffee, man.

I'm reading it as: spouse had two former boyfriends, the second of which killed himself, after which she was sent (apparently involuntarily, but we don't know) to therapy sessions at age 19.

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    Who would not need therapy after suffering tragedies like that. Just because she needed help dealing with something she could not understand does not make her crazy or insane, and I doubt that was what she was being counseled for. God bless her, I'm glad she got thru it.
    aus71383 and Chaplain Scott like this.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

Therapy doesn't imply incompetence. What they're most likely looking for on the application is to find out if the person applying has at some point been institutionalized, put on drugs for a severe mood disorder or actually adjudicated mentally incompetent by a court.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by tony1990 View Post
    If any of my children were to suffer depression, or any form of PTSD after an event like that
    I would not hesitate to give them any tools which may be helpful in coping with the incidents that caused it.
    I do personally believe that several of the tragic incidents that have happened would not have happened if the acting individuals had better coping skills.
    In my personal opinion parental/family support is severely lacking in society today contributing too many issues with our youth.
    The breakdown of family has caused a breakdown in society.

Seeking counseling does not make one unstable; it proves they are stable enough to realize they are getting in deep.
    Being taught that it is OK to ask for help when you need it is a sign of strength, maturity, and intellect.
    It does not matter if that help is to fix a car, build a dog house, or work through an emotional time.
    Having no support growing up, coming from a dysfunctional family that has not taught you,
    and or will not help you obtain the skills needed to function in society is a sad reality today.
    This in my opinion has bred a good portion of what we read about in the news.

Growing up, going off the deep end because life is cruel, or because you live in fantasy land and don’t understand reality?
    That is what I have a problem with.
    If more people grew up ready and knowing they were human, mortal, fallible, and that life is not a stroll through the garden…..

Sorry for the hijack/rant
    Mors est libertas

MALAD JUSTED

Question # 9 on the application in Colorado pertains to your question:
    9. Have you ever been adjudicated mentally defective (which includes having been adjudicated incompetent to manage your own affairs) or have you ever been committed to a mental institution
    If she can answer no to that question, and it would seem that she can from what you've told us, she should be able to get her CHP in Colorado.
    aus71383 likes this.

you konw what I don't get though is this. If you live in a state that doesn't prosacute you for smoking dope but yet the federal government says it's still a crime. How can you legally get a CCL if the question "Is not an unlawful user of or addicted to controlled substances" is checked yes? yea CCL's are kind of a state thing but yet when ATF gets involved cause the FFL dealer is supose to call them for an instant back ground check. They say he/she answered yes to this question cause it's legal to still smoke in Colorado though. How can they have this when ATF is a federal regulator?

VIP Member

That might depend on what you mean by "sent by her parents." If her parents merely insisted that she go to a hospital
    and she agreed and went along, then no---no disqualification. If her parents had to call the cops or her shrink had to call
    the cops and she was involuntarily held, then it is a different story. Since so many years have passed she can probably
    find away around any block with an appeal and a tad of legal help, just guessing though.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links