Stowing your firearm in your car while at work

This is a discussion on Stowing your firearm in your car while at work within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I carry iwb at all times possible and have a backup that is easily accessible from the drivers seat. My question is how to secure ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Stowing your firearm in your car while at work

I carry iwb at all times possible and have a backup that is easily accessible from the drivers seat. My question is how to secure the weapons while at work. My workplace has zero tolerance for weapons inside the building. It is a small company so I don't have much fear of someone breaking into my car, my bigger fear is for my wife's work situation. She works for a large hospital complex and cannot carry her firearm into work, so she usually locks it in the glove box and takes out the magazine and puts it in here purse.

Do you take the magazine out and carry with you while the firearm stays in the glove box? Do you have a car safe and store the weapon there? or perform some other action to secure the weapon?

Thanks
    John

Distinguished Member Array dben002's Avatar
    car safe..gun stored..no mag..mag with me...
    There are two types of people who carry concealed weapons...Responsible ones and Irresponsible ones...which are you...

Distinguished Member Array RightsEroding's Avatar
    Apologies if this is not what you want to hear.

I don't allow policy w/o force of law to deter me from carrying.
    I've heard all the debates about losing one's job etc...

I wonder how YOU or anyone who accepts the risks of not carrying would feel (IF) some idiot came in blasting away?

I'll risk my job before I risk my life or those around me.
    "When those who are governed do too little, those who govern can, and will, do too much." Ronald Reagan

Do what you can; then do what you must

RightsEroding,

I understand and respect your opinion, but with the economy that way it is today I don't want to risk my employment or spend days on end in court attempting to overturn what I believed to be an unsubstantiated termination. Luckily I work in a secure room where only a certain few have access, so my safety is greater than that of others.

I'm a noob to CCW, but at the moment I have my weapon fully loaded (full magazine & one in the chamber) and on safety locked in my vehicle. I do not lock it in my glove box or even put it in a closed cubby. However, it is out of plain sight. I do not take the magazine out or the one in the chamber for 2 reasons: 1) I'm very forgetful & would likely either forget to take the magazine out or replace it once I got back in the car, 2) my whole purpose for having a weapon is to be ready to use it... Having to reload in addition to running to my vehicle would slow my response time immensely. I drive with my weapon in the same location. It is not as easily accessible to me as I'd prefer (its in the lowest open cubby hole below my radio/control panel), but much more accessible than a glove box, console, or carry-case/safe. I have considered either partially ejecting the magazine and/or tipping up my tip-up barrel when I'm not actively carrying on my person or driving. However, since I confessed earlier that I am entirely too forgetful, I hesitate to do so. The safety and my safety-training/caution is adequate for me at this time.

To my knowledge the location of my weapon is legal in my state whether I'm in the vehicle or not. If someone were to break into my vehicle and steal my weapon I would be very upset and file a police report & insurance claim. Since I keep my vehicle locked, the law is on my side (I think). Even if said person did break into my vehicle, steal my weapon, and use it in the commission of a crime, I would not be culpable for their actions simply because I carried a weapon in my vehicle.

I cannot carry while at work because I do have force of law since I work for the law (in a non-sworn position). Hopefully no one will enter our facility without a show of force from our sworn protector.

GunVault -- Some sort of "Mini 300" or something. Three-wheel combination, steel cable, etc.
    NRA Life / Endowment UT, FL, IL

I used a gunvault, when I had guns.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Distinguished Member Array Haywood's Avatar
    I have a Secure-It in both vehicles. I also have a push button Combination Lock Safe that I can install with a cable. It depends how many guns I am taking.

GunVault Nano NV300 with steel cable wrapped around rear seat bracket in my truck. The vault then slips under the seat out of sight.

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    I don't know, I couldn't get passed your profile picture............
    tony1990 likes this.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

Get one of these they aren't very expensive and are better than just 'Leaving A Loaded Gun In Your Vehicle "Unsecured,that's a great way to arm a criminal.
    In Car Gun Lockers
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

nano vault works fine for me.

I installed a Console Vault in my Tundra. They can make one to fit most any car, if you contact them. Reasonable price and harder for the average thief to steal your gun.
    It is not impregnable, but more convenient than hiding a gun vault under your seat.
    Kimber Solo 9mm, Walther PPS 9mm
    Kel Tec PF9 9mm, Ruger LCR .38
    Maverick 88 Tactical 12 ga shotgun at bedside
    Lifetime NRA member

Quote Originally Posted by Exacto View Post
    I don't know, I couldn't get passed your profile picture............
    Me neither...
    "...people who carry a gun understand that they are arming themselves against a very unlikely event... People who arm themselves are not confused about the odds. They are concerned about the stakes. -Kathy Jackson
    NRA Life Member

I have James Bond type of hiding space in my car(s) so I don't have to take anything with me into my job, etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links