CCW question all Nashvillians and frequent visitors!

This is a discussion on CCW question all Nashvillians and frequent visitors! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; (For the anti crowd, it might as well be Nash-villains) I'm going to spend a weekend in the music city, and I was wondering if ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Betty
  • 1 Post By RETSUPT99

Thread: CCW question all Nashvillians and frequent visitors!

(For the anti crowd, it might as well be Nash-villains)

I'm going to spend a weekend in the music city, and I was wondering if I could get a heads up about nashville CCW. I looked at handgunlaws so I know the basics. Basically, no carry in schools, govt building, city parks, etc. However, the few key things I noticed is that the no gun signs carry the rule of law, and apparently it's actually a criminal offense to carry in a place that puts their own no carry sign. Also, it seems there is some language about no carry in places that serve alcohol.

My question is

1. If I want to go to a place that has live music that surely serves alcohol, do I have to leave gun in hotel?
    2. What about rhymen/grand ole opry
    3. Do they have lots of no gun signs in generic restaurants and stores.
    4. Any other advice.

Thanks all.

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    Tennessee allows for licensed pemittees to carry while eating in dinning areas of establishments that serve alcohol. Private entities posting "no carry" signs may prohibit gun carry on any portion of their properties. You cannot consume alcohol in the dinning area if you are carrying concealed.Tennessee prevents localities from enacting new laws regulating the possession or transportation of firearms
    But local ordinances passed before 1986 are grandfathered. So make sure you check local ordinances in effect.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

I am not sure about Opryland but I am watching this closely as I travel to Vandy and Centennial often... and do a good bit of time in Nashville.

VIP Member
    Signs on businesses must be posted:

PURSUANT TO § 39-17-1359, THE OWNER/OPERATOR OF THIS PROPERTY HAS BANNED WEAPONS ON THIS PROPERTY, OR WITHIN THIS BUILDING OR THIS PORTION OF THIS BUILDING. FAILURE TO COMPLY WITH THIS PROHIBITION IS PUNISHABLE AS A CRIMINAL ACT UNDER STATE LAW AND MAY SUBJECT THE VIOLATOR TO A FINE OF NOT MORE THAN FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARS ($500).

full text of this law here

The generic gun-in-ban-sign by itself isn't covered by this law, and I believe all they can do is boot you out... or make you miserable with the cops for a few hours if they choose.

Nashville cops are mostly gun friendly.

I have not been into the Ryman that I can remember, and never in the Grand Ol' Opry.

Guns in establishments that serve alcohol are fine, just don't drink.

Enjoy Nashville! Stay away from 8th Avenue South/Lafayette, especially after dark. And Nolensville Road.
    Mecread likes this.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

8th and lafayette? That seems to be right next to the downtown nightspots with the music and such.

VIP Member
    Gun rights group,TFA (a model for state gun rights advocacy) says Opryland (The Grand Ol' Opry) is posted according to the law that Betty cites. The Ryman is not listed and may not be legally posted. But a check of their site says, "Prohibited items include: weapons..." (under the Code of Conduct heading). So I would say no to both.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Quote Originally Posted by KSP View Post
    (For the anti crowd, it might as well be Nash-villains)

I'm going to spend a weekend in the music city, and I was wondering if I could get a heads up about nashville CCW. I looked at handgunlaws so I know the basics. Basically, no carry in schools, govt building, city parks, etc. However, the few key things I noticed is that the no gun signs carry the rule of law, and apparently it's actually a criminal offense to carry in a place that puts their own no carry sign. Also, it seems there is some language about no carry in places that serve alcohol.

My question is

1. If I want to go to a place that has live music that surely serves alcohol, do I have to leave gun in hotel?
    2. What about rhymen/grand ole opry
    3. Do they have lots of no gun signs in generic restaurants and stores.
    4. Any other advice.

Thanks all.
    1. You can can carry where alcohol is served unless posted as long as you don't imbibe.
    2. If you are talking fast food most likely no signs.
    3. I "hear" most major entertainment establishments are posted but do not know this from personal experience as I do not frequent Nashville.
    4. "BE AWARE", the state AG has issued an opinion stating any sign that clearly indicates no weapons in plain language is valid and does not need to follow the state code word for word.
    5. The international ban sign depicting a handgun is valid by law.
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

I was in Nashville just last weekend and I had my little buddy with me the whole time. I just don't enter a business that has a no firearms sign posted. I just didn't see any while I was there.

Thanks for the tips all.

Btw, anybody know about pocket knives?

Blade cannot exceed 4"

Nashville is very firearm friendly. Tgi Fridays is the only restaurant downtown I have seen posted. The mall is posted of course. Not sure about the hotel. If you call they will tell you.

Quote Originally Posted by daffyduc View Post
    Blade cannot exceed 4"

Nashville is very firearm friendly. Tgi Fridays is the only restaurant downtown I have seen posted. The mall is posted of course. Not sure about the hotel. If you call they will tell you.
    the malls scare me! I was at the MILLS one night and there was a shooting and then before then I was at Rivergate.... yep I am a on line shopper now

Nashville, I go a lot, but...

Ok I'm there a lot and I have the 380 with me. I pack and it has not been an issue. I have to state that if I'm out drinking with a group it's at the hotel or in the car. Bridgestone searched the wifes purse but not me and even if it's posted on their webpage it's not on the doors.

The Door issue I have question with...At the Mall there is no sign on the door but inside one door I found this posted small on the wall inside almost out of sight; number 6.

Now when it comes to the Grand Ol Opry it's posted at the street in every place you can walk into it.

Now I don't understand some places since criminals will pack theirs no matter what and honest people like me will walk back to the car. But I'm in KY and under the impression that I can pack just about anywhere and if it's posted, like the local store they can ask me to go, ask me to not come back, or ask me to take the firearm out and then come back.

The Grand Ole Opry sign is a bummer... it wasn't there a couple of years ago.
    If you stay in a local hotel/motel, the hotel bus will take you down to the Opry, pick you up, and get you back to the hotel.

If I'm not at a local hotel...I guess I'll be listening to that country music on the radio rather than 'in person'.
    msgt/ret likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

The Ryman is not posted, and we do a lot of walking, and sometimes parking is away from the venues we go to so a walk is ahead of us. We do travel in groups.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Sponsored Links