Headlight out,met Mcallen Tx finest - Page 2

Headlight out,met Mcallen Tx finest

This is a discussion on Headlight out,met Mcallen Tx finest within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The rare time I do get pulled over its because of a light in the back that I didn't realize was out yet. I have ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Headlight out,met Mcallen Tx finest

The rare time I do get pulled over its because of a light in the back that I didn't realize was out yet.

I have back problems so my wallet is usually on the console not in my pocket while in the car.

As soon as I am pulled over I roll down both the windows on the side they are approaching from due to the dark tint.

Dome light on if night time, and I put my left arm up on the door and right hand in the 10 oclock position on the wheel so they can see both hands as they approach.

No concealed carry yet but Nebraska is a must inform state. I know some cops will have you come back to their car and place it in their car while running checks or put it on your trunk.

Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    I realize that you did not ask me but as someone who used to make car stops as a park ranger, I didnt like seeing people moving or rummaging around for things while I was preparing to approach/approaching the car. When I've been stopped (like two nites in a row for the same headlight...sorry, I find it hard to change those things)....I immediately put both hands on the wheel and 2 and 10 and just wait for further instructions. (Just warnings)

I've been stopped and not even asked for ID...but it was before I carried.
    My wallet is always in my left butt cheek pocket. There is very little movement to grab it with my left hand while pulling over to the side of the road. This can be done long before my or the LEO's vehicle ever comes to a stop or they exit to approach my vehicle.

Folks can do things any what they want, it is their call. However I don't want to have to verbally tell the LEO that I have a gun in any form or fashion. By being able to hand him my DL and CHL, CHL on top, I am following the law by informing, and doing so without gun/firearm/weapon or any of that coming from my mouth that could possibly be misunderstood. The simple presentation of the CHL will let them know I am armed. It is their call from that point on how to proceed.
    F350_6 and TVJ like this.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    The simple presentation of the CHL will let them know I am armed.
    That may work in TX, but the courts have ruled in OH, which is a must inform if carrying state, that simply giving the cop the CHL does not necessarily meet the requirements of the law.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Good lesson to be learned here on how to act if getting pulled over.
    Also a good lesson to be learned about keeping your headlights/taillights working properly at all times and watching your speed.

I'm glad it all worked in your favor OP.

Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    That may work in TX, but the courts have ruled in OH, which is a must inform if carrying state, that simply giving the cop the CHL does not necessarily meet the requirements of the law.
    As of now, OH doesn't recognize my permit so I don't have to worry about it. If I ever visit there and TX is recognized I will familiarize myself with the state requirements.

I do remember something a while back, I think it was OH were this was brought up and a guy got burned over not verbally notifying.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    Wow. I think it would be much easier on everyone's nerves if you could just hand over the plastic. Saying "I have a gun" is probably worth a shot of adrenaline to the LEO, which doesn't exactly make things go easier. Handing over the license and letting them ask "are you carrying" seems to be a much less stressful approach.

Texas recently removed the requirement to notify, but I would do it anyway. Of course my last ticket was back in 92 so I haven't exactly had the chance to practice what I preach.

A couple other things that you could do - according to a highway patrolmen I was talking to over thanksgiving:

1. Turn on your dome light. Even if it's in the day, turn it on so there's that much more light in the car.

2. Remove your keys from the ignition and put them up on the dashboard. LEO's hate the idea of someone taking off on them. If the keys are out and up on the board, it just gives them that much more of a peace of mind.

3. As someone said, roll down all the windows, or as many as you can - if there's a very dark tint on them, leave on up a little bit (far side of the approach, maybe, so it doesn't look like you're trying to hide illegal tinting.

4. Get as far as possible over to the right. If you know there's a real safe place a quarter mile down the road, acknowledge the officer with a wave or something, then pull over at the safe part of the road.

From what the guy I was talking to said, if you do these types of things, chances are they'll think you're either an LEO yourself, or somehow part of the community (family of an LEO).
    Truckinbutch likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by F350_6 View Post
    Wow. I think it would be much easier on everyone's nerves if you could just hand over the plastic. Saying "I have a gun" is probably worth a shot of adrenaline to the LEO, which doesn't exactly make things go easier. Handing over the license and letting them ask "are you carrying" seems to be a much less stressful approach.

Texas recently removed the requirement to notify, but I would do it anyway. Of course my last ticket was back in 92 so I haven't exactly had the chance to practice what I preach.
    Correction. Texas removed the penalty of suspension or the Class B midemeanor penalty if you fail to notify repeatedly effective Sept. 1, 2009. there is still the requirement to notify, or correctly to display the license.

This is the way the statute currently reads.

Sec. 411.205. REQUIREMENT TO DISPLAY LICENSE. If a license holder is carrying a handgun on or about the license holder's person when a magistrate or a peace officer demands that the license holder display identification, the license holder shall display both the license holder's driver's license or identification certificate issued by the department and the license holder's handgun license.
    Added by Acts 1997, 75th Leg., ch. 165, Sec. 10.01(a), eff. Sept. 1, 1997. Amended by Acts 1999, 76th Leg., ch. 62, Sec. 9.17(a), eff. Sept. 1, 1999.Amended by: Acts 2009, 81st Leg., R.S., Ch. 1146, Sec. 12A.02, eff. September 1, 2009.
    This is the way it used to read prior to 2009.

411.205. DISPLAYING LICENSE; PENALTY. (a) If a
    license holder is carrying a handgun on or about the license
    holder's person when a magistrate or a peace officer demands that
    the license holder display identification, the license holder shall
    display both the license holder's driver's license or
    identification certificate issued by the department and the license
    holder's handgun license. A person who fails or refuses to display
    the license and identification as required by this subsection is
    subject to suspension of the person's license as provided by
    Section 411.187.
    (b) A person commits an offense if the person fails or
    refuses to display the license and identification as required by
    Subsection (a) after previously having had the person's license
    suspended for a violation of that subsection. An offense under this
    subsection is a Class B misdemeanor.

Added by Acts 1997, 75th Leg., ch. 165, 10.01(a), eff. Sept. 1,
    1997. Amended by Acts 1999, 76th Leg., ch. 62, 9.17(a), eff.
    Sept. 1, 1999.
    F350_6 likes this.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    NRA Instructor

What Jemsaal said +1 . WV is not a must inform state . Nonetheless , if stopped , I do those things . When approached , I inform the officer that my id and ccw are in my front left trouser pocket and I must exit the vehicle to access them . Registration and proof of insurance are in the glove box on the passenger side and require me to lean across the seat or walk around the vehicle to retrieve them . Your call on how we handle this and we are both on the same side . No bad results from that approach .

OP, other than being asked to remove your pistol it sounds like a good experience. You handled it well.

This all could have gone so much easier if you had started asking "AM I BEING DETAINED??? AM I BEING DETAINED??" followed up by reminding them who pays their salary.

It's nice to hear what a calm and non combative conversation can do on a simple traffic stop.

Good job all around. (well except for procrastinating on changing the light LOL)
    thephanatik and jibbr71 like this.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    My wallet is always in my left butt cheek pocket. There is very little movement to grab it with my left hand while pulling over to the side of the road. This can be done long before my or the LEO's vehicle ever comes to a stop or they exit to approach my vehicle.

Folks can do things any what they want, it is their call. However I don't want to have to verbally tell the LEO that I have a gun in any form or fashion. By being able to hand him my DL and CHL, CHL on top, I am following the law by informing, and doing so without gun/firearm/weapon or any of that coming from my mouth that could possibly be misunderstood. The simple presentation of the CHL will let them know I am armed. It is their call from that point on how to proceed.
    Whatever works for you.

We do not have to inform and I never have and have never been asked about it...altho it comes up when they run our plates.

I never offer anything without being asked. As I said, in the past I've been stopped, given an explanation, and never even asked for ID. I open no 'doors' unnecessarily.....just opens things up to random personalities.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Headlight out,met Mcallen Tx finest

Quote Originally Posted by 91wm6 View Post
    You're braver than I am. If a leo asks me to remove my firearm I'm not gonna arguelol. FYI when you change out the headlight bulbs don't touch the glass part of the bulb. The oil on your skin may cause the bulb to break shortly after installation.(at least that's what I've heard)
    I am not putting my hand on or near my firearm while dealing with a LEO...If they ask me to unholster my weapon, I simply say "I am not touching my weapon, but if you want to remove it yourself, I will not stop you". Hands far away from your gun will prevent any confusion or misunderstandings.

Good job. I have been pulled over here in AZ for speeding, which I did not realize. I didn't even know the cop was behind me when I pulled into a parking lot where I was going. I got out and there they were. I said are you here for me, they said yes. They asked for my license, reg, ins. card. I said it is in the glove box where I have a gun, what do you want me to do? They said have a nice day, thanks for telling us. Maybe it helped that it had started to rain too.

I don't volunteer info, many will ask you now if you have any weapons, I always answer honestly.

Be safe!
    NEVER point a gun at something you are not prepared to destroy!
    AND for GODS sake, get your finger off the trigger until you are ready to squeeze the trigger!

Quote Originally Posted by Truckinbutch View Post
    What Jemsaal said +1 . WV is not a must inform state . Nonetheless , if stopped , I do those things . When approached , I inform the officer that my id and ccw are in my front left trouser pocket and I must exit the vehicle to access them . Registration and proof of insurance are in the glove box on the passenger side and require me to lean across the seat or walk around the vehicle to retrieve them . Your call on how we handle this and we are both on the same side . No bad results from that approach .
    Yes...I'm pretty sure this is how many permit holders view it...but cops dont. It's not one big 'club' of people with guns against evil.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links