Defensive Carry banner

Headlight out,met Mcallen Tx finest

5K views 50 replies 33 participants last post by  hayzor 
#1 ·
Okay so I knew my light was out and I actually bought a new bulb but been procrastinating on installing it,anyhow I'm driving down a 5 lane road 2 in each direction with a turning lane when I see a car stopped in the inside lane coming towards me and left turn signal on,I'm thinking that driver is too stupid or drunk to be in the turn lane and as I passed saw the "ghosted" out POLICE on the side.Car turned in behind me and lit me up,First thought "was I speeding?"Then it hit me LIGHT OUT.
As the female LEO approached I had turned on my interior lights hands on wheel.I said let me guess headlight,and she said yup.I said I have a CHL and I'm carrying,she said ON YOU?I said yes 9 o'clock,she raised my shirt and said can you take it out?
I carry a Colt 1911,I said I think it would be safer if we just left it holstered,she said okay,I said I gotta reach in my left back pocket for my license,she said do it slow,I said okey dokey.I showed her DL/CHL/Proof of Insurance,and pack of light bulbs,after she ran me for any warrants she let me go with a verbal warning.
This is the 3rd time I've been stopped and the first time I've ever been asked to disarm which I think she probably saw where my suggestion was a better idea.

#3 ·
You're braver than I am. If a leo asks me to remove my firearm I'm not gonna argue lol. FYI when you change out the headlight bulbs don't touch the glass part of the bulb. The oil on your skin may cause the bulb to break shortly after installation.(at least that's what I've heard)

#8 ·
Off topic, but yes, the oils on your skin cause halogen bulbs to burn out quicker. Wiping them down with rubbing alcohol before closing everything up will alleviate that.

But, back on topic, knock on wood, I haven't been pulled over since I've gotten my CCH permit. I've thought about how to respond if the officer asks me to remove my firearm, realizing that traffic stops are probably one of the most nerve wracking things an officer can do, I can't help but think everyone is safer keeping firearms in their holsters and just making sure I tell the officer everything that I'm doing to comply with their instructions.

#5 ·
Sounds like a good stop. I've found in my 60+ years, most LEO are easy to get along with, especially if you treat them respectfully. Just like with anything else, it's the 1% who have a chip on their shoulder that receives the public's attention.

BTW duk, was she cute? :image035:

#7 ·
Glad things went well.

One question, why didn't you get your wallet out before she got to the car? Just curious.

Reactions: Exacto
#10 ·
reaching for something inside your car as an officer is approaching may be cause for alarm, and put them on the defensive
keeping your hands on the steering wheel where they can see them is much safer for everyone

#9 ·
I think moving around to retrieve your wallet might be cause for a LEO to suspect you are hiding something or reaching for a gun. Neither of these is a good way to begin an encounter. Interior light on, window down, and hands on the wheel is a better choice. Just my opinion. Other's comments on this? dukalmighty you did good. Glad it worked out.

#13 ·
No LEO panic, no ticket, now I'd suggest you get that light changed.

You still here? Go change that light...:yup:

#16 ·
The rare time I do get pulled over its because of a light in the back that I didn't realize was out yet.

I have back problems so my wallet is usually on the console not in my pocket while in the car.

As soon as I am pulled over I roll down both the windows on the side they are approaching from due to the dark tint.

Dome light on if night time, and I put my left arm up on the door and right hand in the 10 oclock position on the wheel so they can see both hands as they approach.

No concealed carry yet but Nebraska is a must inform state. I know some cops will have you come back to their car and place it in their car while running checks or put it on your trunk.

#22 ·
A couple other things that you could do - according to a highway patrolmen I was talking to over thanksgiving:

1. Turn on your dome light. Even if it's in the day, turn it on so there's that much more light in the car.

2. Remove your keys from the ignition and put them up on the dashboard. LEO's hate the idea of someone taking off on them. If the keys are out and up on the board, it just gives them that much more of a peace of mind.

3. As someone said, roll down all the windows, or as many as you can - if there's a very dark tint on them, leave on up a little bit (far side of the approach, maybe, so it doesn't look like you're trying to hide illegal tinting.

4. Get as far as possible over to the right. If you know there's a real safe place a quarter mile down the road, acknowledge the officer with a wave or something, then pull over at the safe part of the road.

From what the guy I was talking to said, if you do these types of things, chances are they'll think you're either an LEO yourself, or somehow part of the community (family of an LEO).

Reactions: Truckinbutch
#31 ·
A couple other things that you could do - according to a highway patrolmen I was talking to over thanksgiving:

3. As someone said, roll down all the windows, or as many as you can - if there's a very dark tint on them, leave on up a little bit (far side of the approach, maybe, so it doesn't look like you're trying to hide illegal tinting.
Disagree with this one. It may make things go easier in some cases, but it is also giving the officer an advantage to visually search your car and provide the him/her probable cause to detain you and search without consent. You are afforded protection by the BOR to refuse consent to search, and keeping your windows up is part of that.

See FlexYourRights.org.

#24 ·
What Jemsaal said +1 . WV is not a must inform state . Nonetheless , if stopped , I do those things . When approached , I inform the officer that my id and ccw are in my front left trouser pocket and I must exit the vehicle to access them . Registration and proof of insurance are in the glove box on the passenger side and require me to lean across the seat or walk around the vehicle to retrieve them . Your call on how we handle this and we are both on the same side . No bad results from that approach .

#30 ·
What Jemsaal said +1 . WV is not a must inform state . Nonetheless , if stopped , I do those things . When approached , I inform the officer that my id and ccw are in my front left trouser pocket and I must exit the vehicle to access them . Registration and proof of insurance are in the glove box on the passenger side and require me to lean across the seat or walk around the vehicle to retrieve them . Your call on how we handle this and we are both on the same side . No bad results from that approach .
Yes...I'm pretty sure this is how many permit holders view it...but cops dont. It's not one big 'club' of people with guns against evil.

#26 ·
This all could have gone so much easier if you had started asking "AM I BEING DETAINED??? AM I BEING DETAINED??" followed up by reminding them who pays their salary.

It's nice to hear what a calm and non combative conversation can do on a simple traffic stop.

Good job all around. (well except for procrastinating on changing the light LOL)

#29 ·
Good job. I have been pulled over here in AZ for speeding, which I did not realize. I didn't even know the cop was behind me when I pulled into a parking lot where I was going. I got out and there they were. I said are you here for me, they said yes. They asked for my license, reg, ins. card. I said it is in the glove box where I have a gun, what do you want me to do? They said have a nice day, thanks for telling us. Maybe it helped that it had started to rain too.

I don't volunteer info, many will ask you now if you have any weapons, I always answer honestly.

Be safe!

#32 ·
I figured that I would never meet a police officer like that. Turns out yesterday I was at a friend's house and parked in the street about 2 feet away from the neighbor's driveway, since at the time that was the only room available. Where I live pretty much everyone just makes sure not to block your driveway and you're fine.

My friend's neighbor is crazy though. She threatened to kill my friend and his parents a while back, then threatened to kill the police officers that showed up after my friend's parents called the police. She found one of the officer's home phones and threatened his wife if she didn't give her the officer's cell phone number. She ended up being put in a 72 hold but no charges brought against her.

She called the sheriff's department on my car yesterday and one of them came out. He knew all about the woman and said there isn't much they can do about people like that when the DA decides not to charge them with anything. He just told me I had to be 4 feet away from the driveway and asked me to move it. He could have easily just given me a ticket and left. He was very nice and chatted for a bit.

#38 ·
Okay so I knew my light was out and I actually bought a new bulb but been procrastinating on installing it,anyhow I'm driving down a 5 lane road 2 in each direction with a turning lane when I see a car stopped in the inside lane coming towards me and left turn signal on,I'm thinking that driver is too stupid or drunk to be in the turn lane and as I passed saw the "ghosted" out POLICE on the side.Car turned in behind me and lit me up,First thought "was I speeding?"Then it hit me LIGHT OUT.
As the female LEO approached I had turned on my interior lights hands on wheel.I said let me guess headlight,and she said yup.I said I have a CHL and I'm carrying,she said ON YOU?I said yes 9 o'clock,she raised my shirt and said can you take it out?
I carry a Colt 1911,I said I think it would be safer if we just left it holstered,she said okay,I said I gotta reach in my left back pocket for my license,she said do it slow,I said okey dokey.I showed her DL/CHL/Proof of Insurance,and pack of light bulbs,after she ran me for any warrants she let me go with a verbal warning.
This is the 3rd time I've been stopped and the first time I've ever been asked to disarm which I think she probably saw where my suggestion was a better idea.
I haven't seen all the replies ....... but did "she actually raised your shirt"? ....... Were you still sitting in the car or at that time standing up outside the car?

Just curious ........ Glad it went ok for you........... Hope you got the bulb changed within the next 30 minutes......

#39 ·
I wondered what i would do,if i had to tell a LEO i am carrying.It happened to me once speeding.I just gave the LEO the the 3 things,plus the ccw and figured,i would let him decide what he wanted to do.He asked me,where on me, was mine and i showed him.I'm sure he ran my permit when he went back to his car.So far as gun,that was it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.