Headlight out,met Mcallen Tx finest - Page 3

Headlight out,met Mcallen Tx finest

This is a discussion on Headlight out,met Mcallen Tx finest within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Jemsaal A couple other things that you could do - according to a highway patrolmen I was talking to over thanksgiving: 3. ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Headlight out,met Mcallen Tx finest

Quote Originally Posted by Jemsaal View Post
    A couple other things that you could do - according to a highway patrolmen I was talking to over thanksgiving:

3. As someone said, roll down all the windows, or as many as you can - if there's a very dark tint on them, leave on up a little bit (far side of the approach, maybe, so it doesn't look like you're trying to hide illegal tinting.
    Disagree with this one. It may make things go easier in some cases, but it is also giving the officer an advantage to visually search your car and provide the him/her probable cause to detain you and search without consent. You are afforded protection by the BOR to refuse consent to search, and keeping your windows up is part of that.

See FlexYourRights.org.

I figured that I would never meet a police officer like that. Turns out yesterday I was at a friend's house and parked in the street about 2 feet away from the neighbor's driveway, since at the time that was the only room available. Where I live pretty much everyone just makes sure not to block your driveway and you're fine.

My friend's neighbor is crazy though. She threatened to kill my friend and his parents a while back, then threatened to kill the police officers that showed up after my friend's parents called the police. She found one of the officer's home phones and threatened his wife if she didn't give her the officer's cell phone number. She ended up being put in a 72 hold but no charges brought against her.

She called the sheriff's department on my car yesterday and one of them came out. He knew all about the woman and said there isn't much they can do about people like that when the DA decides not to charge them with anything. He just told me I had to be 4 feet away from the driveway and asked me to move it. He could have easily just given me a ticket and left. He was very nice and chatted for a bit.
    Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation. - Rule #23 in the USMC rules for gunfighting.

Quote Originally Posted by MNewkirk View Post
    Disagree with this one. It may make things go easier in some cases, but it is also giving the officer an advantage to visually search your car and provide the him/her probable cause to detain you and search without consent. You are afforded protection by the BOR to refuse consent to search, and keeping your windows up is part of that.

See FlexYourRights.org.
    I also feel like they might think you are trying to air out the car or something.
    Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation. - Rule #23 in the USMC rules for gunfighting.

Glad it all turned out good.

See FlexYourRights.org.
    Yes, I disagree with most of it actually. Trying too hard. Acting like, once again, there is something inherently wrong with legally carrying a firearm.

Would probably make me more suspiscious.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

See FlexYourRights.org.
    The thing is . . . I don't care. They can search all they want, they're not going to find anything as I have nothing to hide. Moreover, see answer below.

Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    Yes, I disagree with most of it actually. Trying too hard. Acting like, once again, there is something inherently wrong with legally carrying a firearm.

Would probably make me more suspiscious.
    Actually, it makes the LEO's (according to this one) much LESS suspicious, because they can approach the car without having to worry about what's going on in the backseat, or what they're going to find when they approach the passenger's side window. They don't see your hands fumbling away and think, "he may or may not be reaching for a gun or hiding something." The light on helps them see, which again, helps set them at ease.

This has nothing to do with having a weapon. It's what a person should do EVERY TIME they get pulled over if they want a safe, easy stop. It also gets you out of a ticket a lot more than any other method.

I mean, when most LEO's pull someone over, they're not thinking "I wonder if he has a kilo of Coke under the seat." There's a much better chance that person's thinking "Am I going to be shot at this time?" A LEO put at ease makes everything work so much more smoothly.

Headlight out,met Mcallen Tx finest

The thing is . . . I don't care. They can search all they want, they're not going to find anything as I have nothing to hide. Moreover, see answer below.

Actually, it makes the LEO's (according to this one) much LESS suspicious, because they can approach the car without having to worry about what's going on in the backseat, or what they're going to find when they approach the passenger's side window. They don't see your hands fumbling away and think, "he may or may not be reaching for a gun or hiding something." The light on helps them see, which again, helps set them at ease.

This has nothing to do with having a weapon. It's what a person should do EVERY TIME they get pulled over if they want a safe, easy stop. It also gets you out of a ticket a lot more than any other method.

I mean, when most LEO's pull someone over, they're not thinking "I wonder if he has a kilo of Coke under the seat." There's a much better chance that person's thinking "Am I going to be shot at this time?" A LEO put at ease makes everything work so much more smoothly.
    I hear what you're saying, but I will not waive my 4th amendment. The windows stay up. The can be suspicious all they want, but unless they have probable cause, it ain't happening. All a LEO has to say with the windows down is, "I smell an odor" and its game over. I'm not on the side of the road to be the officer's buddy although I will be cordial, but my privacy tied to the blessed 4th Amend are mine. :)
    9MMare likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Okay so I knew my light was out and I actually bought a new bulb but been procrastinating on installing it,anyhow I'm driving down a 5 lane road 2 in each direction with a turning lane when I see a car stopped in the inside lane coming towards me and left turn signal on,I'm thinking that driver is too stupid or drunk to be in the turn lane and as I passed saw the "ghosted" out POLICE on the side.Car turned in behind me and lit me up,First thought "was I speeding?"Then it hit me LIGHT OUT.
    As the female LEO approached I had turned on my interior lights hands on wheel.I said let me guess headlight,and she said yup.I said I have a CHL and I'm carrying,she said ON YOU?I said yes 9 o'clock,she raised my shirt and said can you take it out?
    I carry a Colt 1911,I said I think it would be safer if we just left it holstered,she said okay,I said I gotta reach in my left back pocket for my license,she said do it slow,I said okey dokey.I showed her DL/CHL/Proof of Insurance,and pack of light bulbs,after she ran me for any warrants she let me go with a verbal warning.
    This is the 3rd time I've been stopped and the first time I've ever been asked to disarm which I think she probably saw where my suggestion was a better idea.
    I haven't seen all the replies ....... but did "she actually raised your shirt"? ....... Were you still sitting in the car or at that time standing up outside the car?

Just curious ........ Glad it went ok for you........... Hope you got the bulb changed within the next 30 minutes......

Be Alert and Stay Safe

FastDraw

I wondered what i would do,if i had to tell a LEO i am carrying.It happened to me once speeding.I just gave the LEO the the 3 things,plus the ccw and figured,i would let him decide what he wanted to do.He asked me,where on me, was mine and i showed him.I'm sure he ran my permit when he went back to his car.So far as gun,that was it.

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    Glad things went well.

One question, why didn't you get your wallet out before she got to the car? Just curious.
    Furtive movements are not always wise movements .

Digging for wallet and registration before I got to the window wasn't always seen as same so clearly in my "officer safety educated" mindset. I wanted their hands and bodies still, hands in view. If they needed a wallet I was more than happy to watch them get it.
    9MMare likes this.
    NRA Life Member

I hear what you're saying, but I will not waive my 4th amendment. The windows stay up. The can be suspicious all they want, but unless they have probable cause, it ain't happening. All a LEO has to say with the windows down is, "I smell an odor" and its game over. I'm not on the side of the road to be the officer's buddy although I will be cordial, but my privacy tied to the blessed 4th Amend are mine. :)
    Exactly how is that done?

And as to that 4th amendmkent reference:
    Amendment IV
    The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.
    All those words have meanings. You get stopped by a uniformed LEO in the performance of his duties and sit in your car and refuse to roll a window down even is gonna end "not well" one day. In that vehicle you have chosen to operate along with the rest of the motoring (and walking) public on a public roadway you have given up some degree of privacy already, you are not at home in your living room behind closed door and window on your 34 acre ranch now. Looking at your license and registration and having conversation on a traffic stop is a temporary seizure of minimal intrusion already settled by SCOTUS.
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by CrystalPistol View Post
    Furtive movements are not always wise movements .

Digging for wallet and registration before I got to the window wasn't always seen as same so clearly in my "officer safety educated" mindset. I wanted their hands and bodies still, hands in view. If they needed a wallet I was more than happy to watch them get it.
    I don't really want to rehash this, but I can easily get my wallet out before my vehicle even comes to a stop and you get out of your vehicle and start to approach.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Hey Duk, I hate those "ghost" McAllen P.D. cruisers they do have a way of sneaking up on you!!! Just a heads up Edinburg is also running a couple of those units.
    Spade115 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by CrystalPistol View Post
    Exactly how is that done?

And as to that 4th amendmkent reference:

All those words have meanings. You get stopped by a uniformed LEO in the performance of his duties and sit in your car and refuse to roll a window down even is gonna end "not well" one day. In that vehicle you have chosen to operate along with the rest of the motoring (and walking) public on a public roadway you have given up some degree of privacy already, you are not at home in your living room behind closed door and window on your 34 acre ranch now. Looking at your license and registration and having conversation on a traffic stop is a temporary seizure of minimal intrusion already settled by SCOTUS.
    I should clarify - driver's window would of course come down - it has too in order to have the conversation. I was referring to "all windows down".
    Cordial is obvious. I won't be rude, but I will not consent to search, nor will I incriminate myself.
    CrystalPistol likes this.

They don't see your hands fumbling away and think, "he may or may not be reaching for a gun or hiding something." The light on helps them see, which again, helps set them at ease.

Yes, that's why I specifically made that point myself in my post,hands at 2 and 10 on the wheel, (Not pushing buttons and looking around fixing windows) from the ex-LEO point of view. And again...the rest would strike me as suspicious.

And I completely agree with the last sentiment I quoted above.
    CrystalPistol likes this.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links