Headlight out,met Mcallen Tx finest

This is a discussion on Headlight out,met Mcallen Tx finest within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Okay so I knew my light was out and I actually bought a new bulb but been procrastinating on installing it,anyhow I'm driving down a ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Headlight out,met Mcallen Tx finest

Okay so I knew my light was out and I actually bought a new bulb but been procrastinating on installing it,anyhow I'm driving down a 5 lane road 2 in each direction with a turning lane when I see a car stopped in the inside lane coming towards me and left turn signal on,I'm thinking that driver is too stupid or drunk to be in the turn lane and as I passed saw the "ghosted" out POLICE on the side.Car turned in behind me and lit me up,First thought "was I speeding?"Then it hit me LIGHT OUT.
    As the female LEO approached I had turned on my interior lights hands on wheel.I said let me guess headlight,and she said yup.I said I have a CHL and I'm carrying,she said ON YOU?I said yes 9 o'clock,she raised my shirt and said can you take it out?
    I carry a Colt 1911,I said I think it would be safer if we just left it holstered,she said okay,I said I gotta reach in my left back pocket for my license,she said do it slow,I said okey dokey.I showed her DL/CHL/Proof of Insurance,and pack of light bulbs,after she ran me for any warrants she let me go with a verbal warning.
    This is the 3rd time I've been stopped and the first time I've ever been asked to disarm which I think she probably saw where my suggestion was a better idea.
    Jaybm, Hopyard, Aceoky and 6 others like this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

2. Remove Ads

Dunno if it's policy or not to disarm a legal 'carriers' but disgression, common sense, and your demeanor probley helped her come to the 'leave it where it is' decision. Glad it was a non-event.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

You're braver than I am. If a leo asks me to remove my firearm I'm not gonna argue lol. FYI when you change out the headlight bulbs don't touch the glass part of the bulb. The oil on your skin may cause the bulb to break shortly after installation.(at least that's what I've heard)

Glad to hear things went well. I have never been stopped since I got my CHL.

Truthfully its not something I look forward to. It makes me a safer driver, I don't speed and fix anything in my car that would warrant a stop as soon as I can.
    RichB70, sixgun and Anubis like this.

VIP Member
    Sounds like a good stop. I've found in my 60+ years, most LEO are easy to get along with, especially if you treat them respectfully. Just like with anything else, it's the 1% who have a chip on their shoulder that receives the public's attention.

BTW duk, was she cute?
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    An ounce of prevention...
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Glad things went well.

One question, why didn't you get your wallet out before she got to the car? Just curious.
    Exacto likes this.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by 91wm6 View Post
    You're braver than I am. If a leo asks me to remove my firearm I'm not gonna argue lol. FYI when you change out the headlight bulbs don't touch the glass part of the bulb. The oil on your skin may cause the bulb to break shortly after installation.(at least that's what I've heard)
    Off topic, but yes, the oils on your skin cause halogen bulbs to burn out quicker. Wiping them down with rubbing alcohol before closing everything up will alleviate that.

But, back on topic, knock on wood, I haven't been pulled over since I've gotten my CCH permit. I've thought about how to respond if the officer asks me to remove my firearm, realizing that traffic stops are probably one of the most nerve wracking things an officer can do, I can't help but think everyone is safer keeping firearms in their holsters and just making sure I tell the officer everything that I'm doing to comply with their instructions.
    Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But, I repeat myself. ...Mark Twain: Manuscript note, c.1882.
    NRA Life Member & JPFO Member.
    Sig & CZ-aholic, a Ruger SP101 3" & Wiley Clapp GP100

Distinguished Member
    I think moving around to retrieve your wallet might be cause for a LEO to suspect you are hiding something or reaching for a gun. Neither of these is a good way to begin an encounter. Interior light on, window down, and hands on the wheel is a better choice. Just my opinion. Other's comments on this? dukalmighty you did good. Glad it worked out.
    I shoot with a pistol and a Canon. We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately. NRA life member.

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    Glad things went well.

One question, why didn't you get your wallet out before she got to the car? Just curious.
    reaching for something inside your car as an officer is approaching may be cause for alarm, and put them on the defensive
    keeping your hands on the steering wheel where they can see them is much safer for everyone
    "I plan ahead. That way, I don't have to do anything right now!"

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Glad things went well.

It gives them cause to claim "reasonable suspicion." You may have been hiding something, or so they can claim.

There's not enough LEOs in FL to stop all the vehicles with lights burnt out. I'm not a big believer in state vehicle inspection after living in GA where you dould go directly thru six inspections and everyone of them would find something that "requires" repair, even on a perfectly good vehicle--headlight aiming was the favorite. But really, what happens when that last brake light goes out? I only wish the local PDs would stop more for safety violations.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by kukla View Post
    reaching for something inside your car as an officer is approaching may be cause for alarm, and put them on the defensive
    keeping your hands on the steering wheel where they can see them is much safer for everyone
    I can pull my wallet out while I am pulling over, and still get my windows down, interior light on, and hands on the wheel before they get up to the car.

I have never seen an officer run up to the car during a stop.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    NRA Instructor

No LEO panic, no ticket, now I'd suggest you get that light changed.

You still here? Go change that light...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    It gives them cause to claim "reasonable suspicion." You may have been hiding something, or so they can claim.

Not trying to argue that they would use it for reasonable suspicion or not, but if my wallet is laying on the dash in front of my steering wheel, and they ask what I was hiding, I can simply point out I was pulling my wallet out so I could give you my ID, it is right here on the dash.

Of course I haven't been pulled over in 20 years or so, so I may be a little rusty at it.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Glad things went well.

I realize that you did not ask me but as someone who used to make car stops as a park ranger, I didnt like seeing people moving or rummaging around for things while I was preparing to approach/approaching the car. When I've been stopped (like two nites in a row for the same headlight...sorry, I find it hard to change those things)....I immediately put both hands on the wheel and 2 and 10 and just wait for further instructions. (Just warnings)

I've been stopped and not even asked for ID...but it was before I carried.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links