CCW Child Support Texas

This is a discussion on CCW Child Support Texas within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello Everybody, Have a question about CCW permit in Texas. I currently live in God Awful CA. Will be moving to Texas May 1st. and ...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 4 Post By OldVet
  • 2 Post By Curt58

Thread: CCW Child Support Texas

CCW Child Support Texas

Hello Everybody,

Have a question about CCW permit in Texas.

I currently live in God Awful CA. Will be moving to Texas May 1st. and have a child support issue.

I have always paid support - never missed a payment in 15 years. However, in 2002 I sold a start up business for 500K. The ex found out about it in 2005 and filed a suit.

The judge ordered 170K to go to her which I know longer had. So 170K was added to my credit and was to be paid by adding an additional 500 per month on top of my normal payments.

Im going to guess this is an issue but hoping I'm wrong???

Thank you in advance

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    The problems with "EXs" is they just don't understand the meaning of "EX." But in your case I don't see this as a non-qualifying issue, as it's a civil suit.

My wife and I have been together for 40+ years. We made a deal that whoever wanted out had to take the kids--with no child support or alimony--and neither of us tested that agreement.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Oh cool, hope you're right. Thank you for the response.

VIP Member
    First off, welcome to the forum.

As long as you are not delinquent in your child support payments it should not be an issue. Reading your first post, I take it, you are meeting the court ordered requirements. As long as you are, and continue to do so it shouldn't matter.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    I don't know if it will factor in or not, but I would be surprised if it did. The usual suspects are the typical things they will deny a permit for; violent offenses, documented mental problems, repeat felony offenses for substances.

Obviously the only way to find out for sure is to ask an attorney or someone official with the state.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Thank You Archer,

Yes always have, always will. It was just that one time sell put an instant "back dated" additional order which I couldnt afford. But the set payments have always been made.

This is the relevant section of the statute.

(10) has not been finally determined to be delinquent in making a child support payment administered or collected by the attorney general;
    So if the Texas AG's office isn't part of the equation, you are good to go. If however she transfers collection from CA to Texas and you are delinquent, it may very well be an issue.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Thanks Farronwolf,

Well Im hoping if her payments are always on time, she wont even know I moved and get on with her life.

Ad mentioned, Texas law says you can't be delinquent on child support. If you're current, things should be fine.

Seems odd that they only added $500/month for a $170k settlement. Are you supposed to pay child support until the kid is in his 40's? Or if they charge interest, he'd be eligible for social security by the time you paid it off.

My thinking is that due to CA's crazy laws, the 170k isn't actually child support, since according to the IRS, child maintenance has to stop at a pre defined time, and it isn't based on what I would call extra ordinary income. The judge probably just added it to the regular child support payment.

If I were the OP, I would make two separate checks out, one specified as child support and one specified as payment for the civil suit. That way if he makes the required child support payments, but was to get behind on the civil suit payment it wouldn't/shouldn't make him deliquent on the support portion. But that is me, and I ain't no lawyer.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Don't be surprised after you move to Texas if someone suggest you learn this Country Song,
    "If I'd have killed her when I met her, I'd be out of prison by now!"

It's a popular tune here!
    JK!
    Superhouse 15 and Foo909 like this.
    What have you done to prepare for the end of civilization as we know it?

Quote Originally Posted by F350_6 View Post
    Are you supposed to pay child support until the kid is in his 40's? Or if they charge interest, he'd be eligible for social security by the time you paid it off.
    LOL I Said to the judge "I'll be dead and he'll be very old when its paid off". Judge said probably!

How judge ordered it was an "adjustment" to child support, backdated for the year I sold Biz.

Quote Originally Posted by chase1 View Post
    Hello Everybody,Have a question about CCW permit in Texas.I currently live in God Awful CA. Will be moving to Texas May 1st. and have a child support issue.I have always paid support - never missed a payment in 15 years. However, in 2002 I sold a start up business for 500K. The ex found out about it in 2005 and filed a suit.The judge ordered 170K to go to her which I know longer had. So 170K was added to my credit and was to be paid by adding an additional 500 per month on top of my normal payments.Im going to guess this is an issue but hoping I'm wrong???Thank you in advance
    Not an issue as long as you have not been found to be delinquent on your child support.

GC 411.172. ELIGIBILITY. (a) A person is eligible for a license to carry a concealed handgun if the person:
    (10) has not been finally determined to be delinquent in making a child support payment administered or collected by the attorney general

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    The problems with "EXs" is they just don't understand the meaning of "EX." But in your case I don't see this as a non-qualifying issue, as it's a civil suit.

My wife and I have been together for 40+ years. We made a deal that whoever wanted out had to take the kids--with no child support or alimony--and neither of us tested that agreement.
    Interesting. Never heard of that agreement.

Basically, one could cheat, rightfully get kicked to the curb...and then just walk away...no kids and no payments. Not sure how that is 'fair' but if both parties agree up front.....
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by chase1 View Post
    Thanks Farronwolf,

Well Im hoping if her payments are always on time, she wont even know I moved and get on with her life.
    What state are your kids in? Wont they notice?
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Links