Winchester PDX .45 elite failed to fire

This is a discussion on Winchester PDX .45 elite failed to fire within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I carry a 1911. For six months I had my carry gun loaded with winchester pdx elite .45 acp. I decided to run through what ...

Thread: Winchester PDX .45 elite failed to fire

I carry a 1911. For six months I had my carry gun loaded with winchester pdx elite .45 acp. I decided to run through what I had of it and buy new ammo. The round I had in the pipe did not fire. That's ammo that cost about $1.25 a round, and it did not fire. The hammer came down 2 times. I have never had that happen with any good ammo I have used and I'm 64 and shot all my life. The reason for this is just to let you know. Granted it's probably a one in a million, but it happened to me, the first round in the barrel, the one that if I had to defend my family or self, would not fire. I contacted Winchester and all they wanted was the bullet to see what happened. I wouldn't send it, knowing that the primer was not primed. I carry it all the time, in my pocket of course, just to show shooters what happened. I will try to post a picture of it but I'm not very computer savvy.

Quote Originally Posted by bookie View Post
    I carry a 1911. For six months I had my carry gun loaded with winchester pdx elite .45 acp. I decided to run through what I had of it and buy new ammo. The round I had in the pipe did not fire. That's ammo that cost about $1.25 a round, and it did not fire. The hammer came down 2 times. I have never had that happen with any good ammo I have used and I'm 64 and shot all my life. The reason for this is just to let you know. Granted it's probably a one in a million, but it happened to me, the first round in the barrel, the one that if I had to defend my family or self, would not fire. I contacted Winchester and all they wanted was the bullet to see what happened. I wouldn't send it, knowing that the primer was not primed. I carry it all the time, in my pocket of course, just to show shooters what happened. I will try to post a picture of it but I'm not very computer savvy.
    Thanks for sharing and welcome aboard!

I personally have put 80 rounds on that through my M&P 45c without incident. I have attempted to shoot just about everything I can get through it just to see if there is anything it doesn't feed reliably... 1,800 plus rounds of a variety of types and no malfunctions of any kind thus far.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Not sure what you're implying with your post, other than a round can fail to fire. If I were to quit using every brand of ammo or primer that had a dud, there'd be a very short list of items available. It happens. The fault may not be the ammo's. It could have been something as simple as oil penetration. Since ammo makers don't oil their product . . .

I look at ammo the same way I do light bulbs. New or old, you never know if it's gonna work the next time you flip the switch. Odds are it will.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Distinguished Member
    Did you fire the rest of the box? Were there any more fail to fires? I load this same ammo too. No problems yet.
    I shoot with a pistol and a Canon. We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately. NRA life member.

how did the rest of your magazine fire? any other FTF ?
    EDC: M&P 9*2
    PHIL.4:13

NRA

When I first started carrying in 2003 a LEO friend pointed out that JHP ammo has a relatively square profile and the feed ramp of most semiautos is fairly steep. That's a bad combination. Any little tool mark on the feed ramp can hang up a JHP and cause a FTF. He suggested I do three things.

First, he told me to polish the feed ramp on my XD40sc. (If you don't know how, it's very easy. There are several good videos on YouTube.) Second, he told me to buy forty or fifty rounds of whatever ammo I was thinking of carrying, and fire them all. If I had a FTF, scrap that brand and try something else. When I found something that would fire every time, that was my SD ammo.

Finally, he told me to change the ammo out once a year. Fire the old ammo and reload with new. And the same rules apply. If any of the old ammo fails to fire, find something else.

I've followed his advice and only had one FTF when I fired the old ammo. That was four or five years ago, and it was a bullet in my spare mag. I'm confident my ammo will fire if I ever need it to.

Good luck.
    If you would enslave a people, first you must disarm them.

~ Adolf Hitler
    ~ Mein Kampf

How many times have you chambered THAT ROUND? There was an LEO that unloaded his gun every day at home and rechambered the same round every day over several months,he needed his gun one day and the round failed to fire.The ammo Company determined that frequent chamberings caused the primer material to fall out and therefore caused a dead primer.

Finally, he told me to change the ammo out once a year. Fire the old ammo and reload with new. And the same rules apply. If any of the old ammo fails to fire, find something else.
    I never carry the same ammo for a year,once a month I shoot the ammo in my 1911,and then rotate the mags in my spare mag pouch so my carry ammo never exceeds 3 months,I only unload my gun for cleaning,or shooting and chamber a fresh round from the mag each time,so no round in my mag ever gets chambered more than once.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Pretty sure I read a study on this once. Bottom-line was that the fail-to-fire failure rates of firearms was higher than that of commercial ammo. Wish I could site the source. I think it was an old Gun Digest article. I remember it because I found it counter intuitive.
    “The goal of modern propaganda is no longer to transform opinion but to arouse an active and mythical belief”- Jacques Ellul

“Think of the press as a great keyboard on which the government can play.”- Joseph Goebbels

VIP Member
    First off, welcome to the forum.

Anything made by man can fail to operate. You didn't say if the rest of the magazine functioned properly. If it did, I'd suggest a faulty round. If not, I'd suspect a problem with the gun.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

First off I'm not implying anything. I'm just throwing it out there for your information. Although I do believe a defensive round that costs so much should never fail. My opinion. The ammo was six months old, bought at Bass Pro in Branson Mo. No I don't believe the oil penetration theory. As I said, I'm 64 and shot and reloaded all my life. I have fired thousands of rounds of different calibers. Yes, I did fire the rest without a problem. I leave my weapon loaded all the time. And no I don't load and reload my gun every day. All I can say is what happened. I wish I knew how to put a picture of it on here cause you could see the good hit. I carry a Wilson ultralight compact. It's not the gun. No doubt in my mind the primer was just not primed. I feel that to be totally unacceptable for that type of round. Even though I still think it's a one in a million.

Sounds like the round may have been chambered several times resulting in a bad primer malfunction. Just my guess, but it does happen...
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Stuff happens, even with pricey ammo. This is why we practice clearing malfunctions. If my pistol doesn't fire when I pull the trigger it's the old "tap-rack-bang" drill and I'm back in the game.

As an aside, you've got two posts, both in this thread. Did you really join this forum just to complain about one round of ammunition?
    “Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never—in nothing, great or small, large or petty—never give in, except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.”

Sponsored Links