Hot summer, Hot car, are mags safe.

This is a discussion on Hot summer, Hot car, are mags safe. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Blue Thunder Years ago it was my Colt Python and .357Mag ammo in Florida Summers while working on the Dade Metro Rail ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Hot summer, Hot car, are mags safe.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
    Years ago it was my Colt Python and .357Mag ammo in Florida Summers while working on the Dade Metro Rail and never had an issue. In a hot car 5 days a week and off to Cool Atlanta for the weekend. Lots of RED Tags at Delta for the Checked Baggage. BTW, the ammo was kept in Dade Speed Loaders out of the movie Magnum Force made by the Dade Screw Machine Products Company! I have never had an issue with ammo stored in a vehicle.
    That you know of. I'd be interested to see what happens if ammo that's kept in a hot car for a long time, say all summer, is chrono'd and compared with ammo that's maintained in cooler temps.
    aus71383 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

2. Remove Ads

I've heard Glock Mags will melt into puddles of black plastic if left outside in 95 degree temps
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    Not an issue. I lived in SW OK for years. Summertime temp reaching 100+ was common. Never had a problem with ammo. Even with the car closed where inside temp could easily reach 120+ I never had a round cook off. Now I will admit I've burned the Hades out of myself with a hot frame when I laid my arm against it!
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I've heard Glock Mags will melt into puddles of black plastic if left outside in 95 degree temps
    LOL ....

Just another reason to carry a 1911. In all seriousness, I keep one or two extra mags in my truck. Sumertime in Utah can reach well over 100* and inside a vehicle can be well over 120*. Never had an issue in 15 yrs of CCW. YMMV
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Do a Google search of Youtube and look for Mythbusters exploding ammo. They had fun trying to get ammo to explode in an oven.
    GCO Member
    NRA Member
    NRA RSO & Certified Basic Pistol Instructor

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    I've had mags & ammo in my GHB for years. I wouldn't leave ammo or a charged mag laying on the dash in the HOT South Carolina sun. But, it shouldn't be any problem in a range bag or GHB.

-

Is there any Kydex in this story?
    “Owning a handgun doesn’t make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.” Jeff Cooper

http://carniakcustom.com/

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap

SAAMI Reccommendations for ammo storage.

Let's put this discussion to bed. Here is the SAAMI recommendation on ammunition storage, but please read the entire item as it lists many different storage conditions from wharehouses to auto trunks. It should also dispell some internet myths we all have heard. Also note the address at the bottom of page one Ironic?

http://www.saami.org/specifications_...ammunition.pdf

After reading, make your own decision as to how best store/secure you ammo.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links