Hot summer, Hot car, are mags safe.

This is a discussion on Hot summer, Hot car, are mags safe. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If you have to leave your weapon in a car during the summer do you need to worry about heat and the mag for the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Hot summer, Hot car, are mags safe.

Distinguished Member Array dben002's Avatar

If you have to leave your weapon in a car during the summer do you need to worry about heat and the mag for the gun...any safety problems here ??
    There are two types of people who carry concealed weapons...Responsible ones and Irresponsible ones...which are you...

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I prefer to not leave ammo in a hot car for extended times on repeated occasions.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I've been out in the wilds in 110ºF with guns/mags in the range bag that's stuffed in the trunk for a couple days, without any ill effects.

I've carried in 118ºF for a couple of days. No ill effects (beyond the obvious).

I wouldn't do it daily in Yuma in the summertime, but in NC you're probably not going experience any problems. YMMV.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I have some ammo that's been outside in a black metal container all through last summer here in FL, and all through this winter. I have identical ammo inside in the safe. If I can find a chronograph locally I'll compare the two batches to see how consistant they are. FWIW the container didn't explode even in the middle of summer.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

If nothing else in the car is spontaneously combusting your ammo won't either.
    “Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never—in nothing, great or small, large or petty—never give in, except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.”

Ammo isn't meant to be stored that way long term - but if if happens once in a while, that's just life. A cool dry place will help ammo last a hundred years. If it's your carry ammo and you shoot it every 3-12 months anyways....I wouldn't spend too much time thinking about it. If you wanted to do an experiment on the effects of exposure to heat on ammo, it would be hard to test the chamber pressure, so I'd just chronograph it. I bet it would still shoot though...

Austin

In that environment it will pop like popcorn! LOL! I'm joking. I left my gun in the car before on a hot Summer day and it was fine.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dben002 View Post
    If you have to leave your weapon in a car during the summer do you need to worry about heat and the mag for the gun...any safety problems here ??
    Rust where sweat has gathered is a greater concern, from my experience.
    Last edited by Mike1956; January 12th, 2013 at 09:48 PM.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

I keep some extra mags in my truck, even in during the summer in Texas. A long time ago, in a place far away, I carried ammo through the desert. Nothing is going to go boom unless you park in a volcano or your car catches fire.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I don't think it's so much a matter of the ammo cooking off as much as the possible deterioration of the powder in the long term. Most manufacturers recommend a cool, dry place for "storage," but obviously we don't always operate in cool, dry places. While ammunition is for purposes sealed against moisture/humidity, it should not be subjected to high temps for long durations.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Probably not something I would do, but I don't see any ammo difficulties being invented by the heat.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Years ago it was my Colt Python and .357Mag ammo in Florida Summers while working on the Dade Metro Rail and never had an issue. In a hot car 5 days a week and off to Cool Atlanta for the weekend. Lots of RED Tags at Delta for the Checked Baggage. BTW, the ammo was kept in Dade Speed Loaders out of the movie Magnum Force made by the Dade Screw Machine Products Company! I have never had an issue with ammo stored in a vehicle.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder, I smell Victory in the Morning!

Senior Member Array Maverickx50's Avatar
    I had the mags stolen off my car in front of the house years ago.....Oh you meant the magazines for your pistol?? LOL
    I carry to protect myself and my loved ones from the BG's. Not to solve societies problems. That said: if more carried the deterrent would only have a positive overall effect on those problems.

My company ran tests on small propane cylinders (the kind used in our nail guns) left in the sun, in and out of its packaging, inside and outside an automobile.

We discovered the temperatures inside a parked vehicle with the outside temperature at 97 degrees reached 140 degrees F. We also determined that the temperature inside the clear plastic package laying on the dashboard reached 195 degrees F. At 180 degrees F we began to see container failure and had several gas cannisters burst inside the retail packaging.

Since the combustion level of gunpowder is higher than 180 degrees, it is unlikely you would encounter spontaneous combustion of your ammunition. That being said, I think you stand a real chance of your kydex holsters possibly deforming if left in the sun inside a closed vehicle. I have no idea what the temperature effect would be on polymer pistol frames.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

This thread reminds me of that episode of American Hoggers where the dad's truck catches fire and he runs towards until he remembers he had ammo in it. LOL

Doesn't really apply to this thread except cars are more likely to overheat and catch fire in the summer. Be safe.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links