NEW Carriers - A Little Nervous????

This is a discussion on NEW Carriers - A Little Nervous???? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Not only is becoming a legal carrier a big responsibility, but we are putting loaded GUNS in our pants! Handling my beautiful new guns is ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: NEW Carriers - A Little Nervous????

Not only is becoming a legal carrier a big responsibility, but we are putting loaded GUNS in our pants! Handling my beautiful new guns is one thing, but loading them up and holding a loaded weapon is a whole 'nother thang!I'm interested in hearing from other new carriers or veteran carriers regarding initial experiences and thoughts about putting a loaded weapon on your side, in your pants, purse or on your ankle. (I'm NOT interested in hearing, "If you're nervous about carrying, maybe it's not for you." Just had to say that because I know there's some yahoo out there who's going to feel compelled to say it.)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CigarStix View Post
    Not only is becoming a legal carrier a big responsibility, but we are putting loaded GUNS in our pants! Handling my beautiful new guns is one thing, but loading them up and holding a loaded weapon is a whole 'nother thang!I'm interested in hearing from other new carriers or veteran carriers regarding initial experiences and thoughts about putting a loaded weapon on your side, in your pants, purse or on your ankle. (I'm NOT interested in hearing, "If you're nervous about carrying, maybe it's not for you." Just had to say that because I know there's some yahoo out there who's going to feel compelled to say it.)
    Good gear and the right cover garments will make it something you soon give little thought to.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Never get too comfortable with a loaded gun. It does get easier. BTW, the sheeple can't tell you're carrying and most CCW people can't either. Don't cheap out on your belt.

Spinner
    RichB70 likes this.

Yes, it is a whole new experience, and you should feel a little nervous. But, use that nervousness to remind you to always apply the safe handling rules of your firearm(s). As time goes by, you will condition yourself to be safe and carry with confidence.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

I was a little nervous at first, but now I carry all the time and don't even think about it.

Remember, guns just don't go off.
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

http://www.appleseedinfo.org/

Good holster and a gun belt. Trust your equipment, if you don't then change it. You will hesitate out of nature to grab your gun if you feel uneasy. A loaded gun should be the last of your concern, the first should be to remember your training and again, trust your gun. Second should be if your printing, if an emergency is about to unravel then you don't want to be a point of interest for a BG. I would practice with it more, draw, shooting, reloading etc. If you don't want one in the pipe then practice on racking it back. Either way the main key is more practice lol

Sure when I started a few months ago I thought "Whats the big deal?" But that was when I only had the LCP in a pocket. I took my XDM9C out today for its maiden voyage, and I had a bit of a different feeling. A little more on edge than normal when I first stepped into the store, but after I started the shopping I became pretty lax about it all. My carry setup has almost no printing even when bending at the waste so that helped a lot with putting me at ease.

I was nervous the first few times carrying but the more I carry the more my gun becomes an extension of my body. I also practice drawing my loaded pistol with my carry clothes on. To me it gives me more confidence and practice in handling a loaded weapon.

There will be a little 'new awkward feeling' about putting a gun on your person, that's fairly normal.
    Soon you will just put on your watch, grab your wallet, phone, and put the gun inside the belt. You'll always be cognizant of the gun being there as that's part of being alert.
    You will, however, soon forget that awkward feeling, especially if you get into a SD pistol class and practice what you learn.
    It's a great journey of always learning. This site is a great place to learn and share.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Moderator
    Hey...if it makes you nervous...

After you carry awhile and get used to it, it'll make you nervous when you're NOT carrying it...
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    After you carry awhile and get used to it, it'll make you nervous when you're NOT carrying it...
    You got that right.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post

That is how I am now LOL

Never thought that would happen but it did

We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is responsible for his actions....Ronald Reagan

I think we were all a little nervous at the beginning. I know I was at first. I always thought people were looking at me and knowing I was carrying, but as time went on I soon realized no one had a clue. It does get easier and easier, and as stated by HotGuns I am nervous when I cant carry. I think being nervous in my case at times keeps the senses more keen, just my opinion though.
    "As a strong supporter of our 2nd Amendment rights, I believe tougher enforcement of our nation's existing gun laws must be done before any more laws are enacted and put on the books."
    Jeff Miller

I felt uneasy at first while carrying; now I feel uneasy when I don't/can't, which is rare.

I had to go to Atlanta this week on business, and I did not enjoy being unarmed. (No reciprocity with Georgia)

Re: NEW Carriers - A Little Nervous????

Good holster and good belt!

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2
    mano3 likes this.
    S&W M&P 9c
    Ruger LCR + P (.38)
    Kahr PM9
    Taurus M851 (.38)

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links