My First Revolver - Ruger SP101 2/14 in barrel. (My choice for concealed carry)

This is a discussion on My First Revolver - Ruger SP101 2/14 in barrel. (My choice for concealed carry) within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Purchased my first revolver today, a Ruger SP101 .357 with 2/14 in barrel. I was impressed with the double action trigger pull on it, and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: My First Revolver - Ruger SP101 2/14 in barrel. (My choice for concealed carry)

Purchased my first revolver today, a Ruger SP101 .357 with 2/14 in barrel.

I was impressed with the double action trigger pull on it, and it's a great looking piece too.

I've always been hesitant to carry a semi auto with a round in the chamber. This solves that problem.

I bought two great holsters, a leather belt holster and an IWB nylon holster. Depending on what kind of clothing I'm wearing.

Nice he? Any SP101 owners out there? How do you like it as a concealed carry piece?

sp101_2.jpg
    sp101_3.jpg
    RichB70 likes this.
    Everyday, amateur gun enthusiast. Active duty, Army.
    Read my gun blog!
    MyGunDiary.com

I had a SP101 and loved it. I let myself be talked out of it and regretted it ever since. I CC it ED and though it was a little heavy it was no heavier than a 45 or 40. Was easy to conceal also. They are built like a tank. It will serve you well for a lifetime.

Lots of Sp 101 owners out here, Excellent gun, I don't leave home without mine!
    US Navy Veteren
    Ruger SP101 357 3" Barrel
    Taurus 65 357 Mag
    Glock 19 Gen3
    Walther PK 380
    www.guntoters.com

VIP Member
    Congrats on the new SP. I don't have one, but have 2 of the older Ruger Six Series guns. They've never failed to do their job.

Found it interesting, your hesitant to carry a semi auto with a round in the chamber, but have no problem carrying a revolver with all 6 chambers loaded? No difference really, unless you pull the trigger, the gun will not fire.
    sioux565 likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Re: My First Revolver - Ruger SP101 2/14 in barrel. (My choice for concealed carry)

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Found it interesting, your hesitant to carry a semi auto with a round in the chamber, but have no problem carrying a revolver with all 6 chambers loaded? No difference really, unless you pull the trigger, the gun will not fire.
    I was going to say the same thing. It is no different carrying a revolver fully loaded versus a semi auto with one in the chamber. You pull the trigger on both and it'll fire.

I carried semi autos exclusively, still do actually, haven't gotten to the range yet with work and other conflicts to put the SP 101 through the wringer--that and I'm expecting my Simply Rugged holster any day now. Having said that, all indications are, this is going to to the top of the list as a daily carry firearm.

If I may ask, what makes you nervous about carrying a semi automatic with a round in the chamber? If you're carrying DA/SA or DAO, it's pretty much the same as carrying a revolver. If you're carrying a SA, almost the same thing, except cocked and safety on... One thing that I've suggested to friends that have the same trepidation, carry your semi with a round chambered around the house, after a while, you lessen your nervousness and you begin to realize that as long as your finger is off the trigger, "ain't nothin' gonna happen--at all!" Please don't take this as preaching, but just friendly, albeit unsolicited advice!

By the way, your choice of an SP 101 is an excellent one!

Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But, I repeat myself. ...Mark Twain: Manuscript note, c.1882.
    NRA Life Member & JPFO Member.
    Sig & CZ-aholic, a Ruger SP101 3" & Wiley Clapp GP100

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    I have one. Like it. Compared to my semi-autos its a little more powerfull & almost impossible to jam.

"five for sure". Always a good choice.

Re: My First Revolver - Ruger SP101 2/14 in barrel. (My choice for concealed carry)

Congratulations on the new revolver. The SP101 357 and a Glock 29 Gen 4 are on top of my gun wish list this year. The only issue is I refuse to pay inflated prices and Texas is crazy right now. Even the wait to go to the range is double or more what is normal... but I will wait.

Enjoy!

yep.. have the three inch.. its my edc but i do switch to the LCP or p95 at times..

Anyone wise enough to EDC an SP101 is...wise enough. Yet I'm still a bit befuddled about your chambered semi-auto comment. Can you expound and/or clarify?
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Congrats! Very nice looking gun.
    "...people who carry a gun understand that they are arming themselves against a very unlikely event... People who arm themselves are not confused about the odds. They are concerned about the stakes. -Kathy Jackson
    NRA Life Member

Congrats! A solid reliable choice IMHO. (said the man who carrys one)
    "The only thing I'm an expert about is my experience."

Distinguished Member
    You all are going to "force" me to get one of these. Too many good things being said about them. And they look great! Let us know how it carries and give us a range report when you can there.
    I shoot with a pistol and a Canon. We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately. NRA life member.

I have the SP101 in both the two and three incher ... and I do ccw with them on occasion. Most ofter I carry a G27 or a G23. But I do love my SP101's. They are great handguns.......

Be Alert and Stay Safe

FastDraw

love it and carry it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links