Texas Concealment Definition and Precautions - Page 2

Texas Concealment Definition and Precautions

This is a discussion on Texas Concealment Definition and Precautions within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by calpoly12000 I would really like to get a Fobus concealed holster. As some of you know, Fobus does not really make very ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Texas Concealment Definition and Precautions

Quote Originally Posted by calpoly12000 View Post
    I would really like to get a Fobus concealed holster. As some of you know, Fobus does not really make very many IWB holsters. I have seen their OWB holsters conceal fairly nicely for New Mexico standards, but I'm more concerned with Texas standards since I visit there at least 1-2 times a month.
    I've got a couple Fobus OWB holsters and honestly there are much better options for CC available for not much more money. You can find good quality leather or kydex holsters for $50 or so if you search out a lesser known brand. I recently bought a leather IWB and a belt slide (OWB) holster from JBP Holsters recently for less than $100 total.

Quote Originally Posted by DFuller View Post
    OK sorry but you've got me really curious what this means.
    Under TX statute for a "no guns" sign to carry the weight of law it must follow guidelines for size, text, etc which is specified in section 30.06 of the state law.

Also in TX you are prohibited from carrying in an establishment that derives more than 51% of its profits from the sale of alcohol for consumption on the premises.

Those are two aspects of CC you need to be aware of if you are visiting TX. ;)
    Mike

“Arms in the hands of citizens may be used at individual discretion... in private self-defense.”
    John Adams (Americas 2nd US President)

Thanks! :)

We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is responsible for his actions....Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    Basically what the others have said is good advice.

I have never found a good use for Fobus holsters when it comes to concealed carry but that is me. What type of gun do you usually carry?
    I typically carry a Glock 23. I do like the Fobus holsters though mainly because it relieves me having to conceal inside my waist. Particularly during the winter months, having an OWB holster that's tight to the body is much more liberating and I've found that my draw and presentation is faster. Before I had my CCW, i just practiced with my 1911 at an outdoor range with an OWB holster and wore this under my sweatshirt (only at the range) to practice drawing and presenting. I just feel more confident with a holster LIKE Fobus or similar OWB holsters that are tight to the body that can conceal fairly easily. I will concede however that a Fobus holster probably isn't the best choice during the hotter months due to possible printing issues with an OWB holster. In this case, I may have to get used to just working with an IWB holster all year 'round. In which case, I will probably end up with a Crossbreed Supertuck or something similar.

. I just feel more confident with a holster LIKE Fobus or similar OWB holsters that are tight to the body that can conceal fairly easily. I will concede however that a Fobus holster probably isn't the best choice during the hotter months due to possible printing issues with an OWB holster.
    Just to be clear I was saying that I don't care for Fobus brand holsters, not OWB in general. The Fobus holsters I've tried where bulky and did not carry as close to the body as other holsters I've tried. If the work for you there's no reason not to use them, though. ;)

If you are wearing a long jacket, sweatshirt, etc. an OWB can be concealed without too much trouble. I've got a nice belt slide OWB for my Glock 17 and a pancake OWB for my S&W 686 that I sometimes wear in winter when heavier cloths are the norm. :)
    Mike

“Arms in the hands of citizens may be used at individual discretion... in private self-defense.”
    John Adams (Americas 2nd US President)

Quote Originally Posted by DFuller View Post
    OK sorry but you've got me really curious what this means.

We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is responsible for his actions....Ronald Reagan
    30.06 is where a private business can prohibit you with your firearm on the premises. There are requirements on the signage, check the links on handgunlaw.us for more info,,,,,,51% is an establishment that obtains more than 51% of their revenue from alcohol sales.

If you find someone that does not have correct signage,,,,,,just keep it to your self, govern yourself accordingly and do NOT inform the management how to put up the correct signage.

Welcome to Texas.

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Well my main concern with citing this law is this fact: what may be reasonable to me may not be reasonable to a peace officer. My main concern is with law enforcement. I don't want law enforcement having an issue with how I'm printing or what sort of holster I'm using. This questions stems from the fact that I would really like to get a Fobus concealed holster. As some of you know, Fobus does not really make very many IWB holsters. I have seen their OWB holsters conceal fairly nicely for New Mexico standards, but I'm more concerned with Texas standards since I visit there at least 1-2 times a month.
    Then do not conceal carry if it bothers you so much to the point of LEO paranoia. Why not worry about something really important.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdogtx View Post
    ......51% is an establishment that obtains more than 51% of their revenue from alcohol sales.
    That would be 51% or more of their revenue from alcohol sales for on site consumption. You can carry into a liquor store (unless 30.06 posted) since you can't consume any alcohol there.

Printing unless its totally done to a absurd level is a non issue. With cell phone holsters mpg players etc etc who doesnt have a bulge under their shirt???? A 6 inch full grip 44 mag poking up out of your shirt might get some mention but anything in reason even if it is printing a bit isnt likely to recongnized for what it is.
    Intentional is also a key word there.
    I ride motorcycle into Texas twice a year on a KY ccw. Carry full size pistols for the most part and never worried about it or had any problems with LEO over it.

"...or to intentionally fail to conceal the weapon."
    This is the pertinent sentence. What it means is that you must be careful not to let your shirt or jacket ride up and expose the gun. Be careful about reaching to get something off a high shelf at the store. If you want something off a low shelf, bend at the knees instead of the waist. But a lump under your shirt could be anything--a gun, a cell phone, or a colostomy bag. I know a lot of CHL holders and I don't know anyone who has ever been asked, "What's that bulge under your shirt?"
    If you would enslave a people, first you must disarm them.

~ Adolf Hitler
    ~ Mein Kampf

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links