Texas Concealment Definition and Precautions

This is a discussion on Texas Concealment Definition and Precautions within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just got my New Mexico CCW and because of where I live, I often visit El Paso, Texas. My CCW is recognized in Texas ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Texas Concealment Definition and Precautions

I just got my New Mexico CCW and because of where I live, I often visit El Paso, Texas. My CCW is recognized in Texas but reading some of the Texas laws, I found that:

"'Concealed' means that the weapon cannot be visible, and that its presence cannot be discernible through ordinary observation. It is a criminal offense for a license holder to carry a handgun in plain view, or to intentionally fail to conceal the weapon."

So my question for those who live in Texas is: "how do you reduce your printing so that you don't have this issue of 'failing to conceal the weapon?'"

Also, realize that its pretty cold right now so most of the time, I'll be wearing a hoodie AT A MINIMUM. It's during the summer months with less clothes that I worry about this specific clause for Texas.

2. Remove Ads

?? How do you 'conceal' your firearm in NM?

While printing penalties are different from state to state (or may not even exist)....are you not concealing your weapon in NM?
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Well you can open carry in NM so printing or concealing for him is not a problem. As far as concealing in general a good iwb holster, gun belt and just looser fitting t shirts. Be mindful when bending over or picking stuff up. Other than that go about your business and most people won't be able to tell what it is under your shirt.

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Aw, c'mon guys. Don't make more of this than it is. A reasonable assumption by you when you look in the mirror and cannot see a firearm is what concealed is all about. Sounds like you want a list of clothes, or a measure of opaqueness, or some other physical attribute for "not seeing". Heck-- if the assumption by a reasonable person of imminent danger is good enough to discharge your firearm to defend yourself, does it not seem that such an assumption on what you are wearing is also "reasonable". You put your clothes on and if you cannot see your firearm, you are CC--period/end of story. Do you need a list of unacceptable clothes? How about a tank top, a mesh tee shirt, a half tee shirt--what do you really need to know to reinforce your own common sense and intelligence on this matter?
    bigdogtx likes this.

Skinny jeans are deff no
    BeefyG and Spade115 like this.

It is going to be on a case by case basis and what each person considers "reasonable". Normally simply wearing it "covered" (wearing a cover garment) will be OK but you will always have a few knuckleheads that will want to push the envelope. We typically don't push the "printing" issue unless there is another reason. Common sense and good judgement are always in good taste but these days not so common.
    Hopyard and Rock and Glock like this.
    A Wise Man Changes His Mind, but a Fool Never Does

Quote Originally Posted by ballfroguy View Post
    Well you can open carry in NM so printing or concealing for him is not a problem. As far as concealing in general a good iwb holster, gun belt and just looser fitting t shirts. Be mindful when bending over or picking stuff up. Other than that go about your business and most people won't be able to tell what it is under your shirt.
    What he said.

PRINTING is not a crime in Texas,if your shirt is over the gun your concealed,if you reach for something and you show your unmentionables it's not a crime,When I get out of my car I just make sure my shirt didn't ride up over my gun or mag pouches and I'm good
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I use a CB supertuck IWB tucked with shorts and a T-shirt for my XD 9 service model. I live in Houston so I am in shorts 9 out of 12 months. Never had a problem, but I do have to aware how I bend over so I don't print too badly. I have not had a issue.
    No trees were harmed in the construction of this post. However a large number of electrons were indiscriminately aroused.

Well my main concern with citing this law is this fact: what may be reasonable to me may not be reasonable to a peace officer. My main concern is with law enforcement. I don't want law enforcement having an issue with how I'm printing or what sort of holster I'm using. This questions stems from the fact that I would really like to get a Fobus concealed holster. As some of you know, Fobus does not really make very many IWB holsters. I have seen their OWB holsters conceal fairly nicely for New Mexico standards, but I'm more concerned with Texas standards since I visit there at least 1-2 times a month.

Quote Originally Posted by calpoly12000 View Post
    ...to intentionally fail to conceal the weapon."
    This is the key. Don't make it obvious. If the typical customer walking through walmart wouldn't notice, or if you can't tell with just a casual glance, then you'll be safe. There are some LEO types around that will notice. The stories I've heard about the ones that do have all gone the same way. LEO walks up and asks, "what are you carrying?" Partly to show off their skill, and partly to just stand around and talk about guns for a bit.

Just make sure you're familiar with, and comply with 30.06 & 51% signs when you carry here.

Distinguished Member
    Staying concealed is not a big prob. at all. Even if you are printing, no one will notice. People generally do not notice or scan for concealed weapons. How many "concealed weapons" have you seen?
    ballfroguy likes this.
    I shoot with a pistol and a Canon. We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately. NRA life member.

Quote Originally Posted by F350_6 View Post

Just make sure you're familiar with, and comply with 30.06 & 51% signs when you carry here.

OK sorry but you've got me really curious what this means.

We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is responsible for his actions....Ronald Reagan

Basically what the others have said is good advice.

I have never found a good use for Fobus holsters when it comes to concealed carry but that is me. What type of gun do you usually carry?

I carry anything from service sized guns to compact and have found that a good belt slide from Fist for OWB, or Crossbreed Super Tuck, and even Remora for IWB hold the guns tight against the body where a loose fitting button up shirt will work for all types of carry, or the IWB works for wearing t-shirts.

Pay attention when you get out of car, or bend/reach for something and you are fine. Most people are pretty clueless when it comes to noticing folks carrying.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Solid color shirts tend to "print" more, shirts that are printed designs or plaids help.

plaid shirt.jpgshirt.jpg
    The wise man looks for ways to minimize mistakes, a fool boasts it will never happened to him.

"The problem is not the availability of guns, it is the availability of morons."
    - Antonio Meloni

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links