Notify police of CC after accident/stalled vehicle/etc.

This is a discussion on Notify police of CC after accident/stalled vehicle/etc. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm from Illinois so I don't actually have to worry about this sort of thing (yet), but I was wondering this the other day. In ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Notify police of CC after accident/stalled vehicle/etc.

Notify police of CC after accident/stalled vehicle/etc.

I'm from Illinois so I don't actually have to worry about this sort of thing (yet), but I was wondering this the other day. In states that require you to notify a police officer that your carrying during a traffic stop, does that include if they respond after you've been in an accident/stalled vehicle/etc.? Basically situations where they did not actively stop you, but responded to assist for some reason. Thanks!
    ”One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them.”
    ~Thomas Jefferson

"Carry your gun - it's a lighter burden than regret."
    ~Breda

2. Remove Ads

I thought there was less of a provision when just 'casual contact' with an LEO, in States with notification rules. Taken to the extreme what would one do when just walking down the sidewalk & you happened to go by a police officer, saying hello? Depending on details, one could leave themselves open to 'your word/their word' with specifics. In most cases I would lean towards informing, when that State law called for such. In the stalled car example, here the LEO comes to your door, if me, yes I would inform.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    In any official capacity.
    sdprof and CrystalPistol like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by wiguy View Post
    I thought there was less of a provision when just 'casual contact' with an LEO, in States with notification rules. Taken to the extreme what would one do when just walking down the sidewalk & you happened to go by a police officer, saying hello? Depending on details, one could leave themselves open to 'your word/their word' with specifics. In most cases I would lean towards informing, when that State law called for such. In the stalled car example, here the LEO comes to your door, if me, yes I would inform.
    SERIOUSLY,think about it,your in a store a Cop comes in to buy a cup of coffee,yo Officer I'm licensed and carrying a gun.Your going into a movie theatre,the theatre hired off duty LEO as Security and he is by the door you gonna inform him then?
    The law states during official interaction,Vehicle Stop/stalled vehicle he is approaching you in an official capacity,Vehicle accident official capacity,noise complaint official capacity,etc
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

The rules vary by state. In NC, you are required to notify any time you interact with LE.
    KNOWLEDGE: A tomato is a fruit.
    WISDOM: Not putting a tomato in a fruit salad.

When they ask for ID, it becomes official contact - so I present both DL and CHL together, no matter the occasion. For non-traffic stops they have handed the CHL back and said they didn't need it.

I was actually already on the side of the road one night, so not pulled over, and an officer came up on me, they were looking for someone in the area he said - and it was pretty obvious, cops were swarming the area cruising around slowly - I assume it was a male they wanted because I am obviously not and he never asked for my ID. I was carrying the whole time, but since he didn't even ask my name he obviously wasn't too interested in my identification or licensure. It was kinda unusual behavior from a cop, sticks out in my mind because of it. Pretty sure he was acting in official capasity, but he didn't ask and I'm not gonna take a slightly odd situation and make it worse by being like "so yeah, I have a gun at my 4:00...."

No harm no foul. I figure if he wanted to be informed - he should have asked.

Another time, was working around 2am at my previous job cleaning after hours with 2 general managers. We had the alarm off, we thought. But shortly after we opened the back door, an officer arrived gun drawn. He aked for the ID of both of my bosses, but not me. I knew him from another job several years ago, but I have no idea how well he remembered me or if that is why he didn't aks for my ID. He didn't even ask my name, but took DL numbers from the other guys.

Basically anytime they want identification, I offer my CHL too. If they aren't taking my name, I'm not volunteering.
    sdprof and Aceoky like this.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

Quote Originally Posted by Tala View Post
    When they ask for ID, it becomes official contact - so I present both DL and CHL together, no matter the occasion. For non-traffic stops they have handed the CHL back and said they didn't need it.

I was actually already on the side of the road one night, so not pulled over, and an officer came up on me, they were looking for someone in the area he said - and it was pretty obvious, cops were swarming the area cruising around slowly - I assume it was a male they wanted because I am obviously not and he never asked for my ID. I was carrying the whole time, but since he didn't even ask my name he obviously wasn't too interested in my identification or licensure. It was kinda unusual behavior from a cop, sticks out in my mind because of it. Pretty sure he was acting in official capasity, but he didn't ask and I'm not gonna take a slightly odd situation and make it worse by being like "so yeah, I have a gun at my 4:00...."

No harm no foul. I figure if he wanted to be informed - he should have asked.

Another time, was working around 2am at my previous job cleaning after hours with 2 general managers. We had the alarm off, we thought. But shortly after we opened the back door, an officer arrived gun drawn. He aked for the ID of both of my bosses, but not me. I knew him from another job several years ago, but I have no idea how well he remembered me or if that is why he didn't aks for my ID. He didn't even ask my name, but took DL numbers from the other guys.

Basically anytime they want identification, I offer my CHL too. If they aren't taking my name, I'm not volunteering.
    Our laws seem to be the same. If LE does not ask for ID i do not inform them of my CCL.

PAPADALE1 is correct in TN you do not have to inform but must show on demand.
    Mors est libertas

MALAD JUSTED

I don't have to notify ever. But if I am in a direct contact situation (accident, traffic stop, stalled vehicle, etc) I will let them know as common courtesy. If I am in a coffee shop and they come in and we strike up a conversation, then I'm not bringing up the subject.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

VIP Member
    State laws vary on it, but general rule of thumb: If in a state that requires notification, any contact that would be considered "official" duty, you need to inform.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by DaGunny View Post
    The rules vary by state. In NC, you are required to notify any time you interact with LE.
    The criminals don't let the LEO know he is carrying if the casually pass by each other at a restaurant or store, so neither would I.

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    In any official capacity.
    what he said plus,upon initial contact.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

Depends on the specific state's statutes. Some require notification to an LEO in cases of any contact out on the street. While others only require notification to an LEO if asked if one is carrying/armed. In many states, there's no legal requirement to notify at all, of course.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I would if interacting with LE on most occasions. If I was walking down the street and was casually speaking with LE I may not if just a quick chat. If LE approached me I would more times then not offer the information. Guess it just depends on the interaction. If I was in a vehicle I would always advise I am carrying. If for some reason you did not inform and the LE notices a gun you will probably get one pointed in your face or worse. A lot of people give LE a hard time when confronted, I personally think this is ignorant. People just need to use their best judgement and read up on local laws to protect themselves. Ignorance is no exception to the law. If you take the responsibility to carry a firearm you need to do your part to follow the laws. It is our right to bear arms, but it is not a right to carry, this is a privilege provided on a state by state basis why chance it and put it at risk from being taken away? Guess point being know your rights, the laws and expectations of being a responsible citizen and stay out of jail!

Quote Originally Posted by DaGunny View Post
    Only when you are when approached or addressed by the officer. Not just for casual interaction in passing.
    CrystalPistol likes this.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links