For the LEOs on the board... - Page 3

For the LEOs on the board...

This is a discussion on For the LEOs on the board... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; From an LEO point of view, it is a moot point. Law or no law, bad guys will always have guns anyway. Good guys with ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: For the LEOs on the board...

From an LEO point of view, it is a moot point. Law or no law, bad guys will always have guns anyway. Good guys with guns, when they are in mentally stressful situations, can do as much harm as bad guys with guns. Net effect: anyone a LEO encounters can have a gun and can harm/kill with that gun. LEO's should spend their time not worrying about who is allowed to get a gun and instead practice to survive their next encounter with a person carrying a gun!

Quote Originally Posted by KBSR View Post
    I'm a retired law enforcement officer, and I can offer this perspective.

I think you'll find that most rank and file officers are in favor of law abiding citizens having the option of protecting themselves with firearms. I know that an individual that has gone through the process to legally carry concealed isn't the problem, and never has been. I've always considered them to be on the good guys side.

Many of your police executives, and their organizations like IACP support gun control, but that is pure politics. Their troops don't overwhelming support these positions. Unfortunately, the Police Chiefs and their organizations usually have the microphone, not the cop on the street.

I know lots of cops, after over 27 years on the job, and don't know any that would support the legislation that is being threatened today. It's not the gun, it's the person behind the gun we should be focused on. Enforce the laws that already on the books. Stop letting the criminals off, when they are caught. Stop letting them out of prison early. Those things would have an impact on gun violence, not bans on rifles or high capacity magazines.
    +1. I bolded what I feel is the key here. When we let criminals off with just a slap on the wrist, we have a problem. When someone tries to buy a firearm and lies on the 4473 as to having been convicted of a felony, and they are simply denied rather than being prosecuted, we have a problem. When criminals are allowed to plea out and avoid a gun charge, we have a problem. We need to enforce our laws much more strongly, rather than adding even more laws which will do no more than infringe on the rights of law abiding citizens.

I doubt a cop worries about the conceal carry permit holder ...... How many car thiefs, hit-men, band robbers, have CC permits. It's the drug mule, with a trunk full of cocaine, who has the gun in his hand, that would bother a cop. There are approx 7 million CC holders, and maybe 2 cops a yr are shot

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr...niously-killed

Record numbers now licensed to pack heat - US news - Life | NBC News ......... Total CCW stats

http://www.vpc.org/fact_sht/ccwlawenforcement.pdf

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links