For the LEOs on the board...

This is a discussion on For the LEOs on the board... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I realize that opinions will vary, but I'm curious from an LEO perspective , are there any LEO's that would rather have citizens not be ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 33
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: For the LEOs on the board...

  1. #1
    Member Array lnferno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    91

    For the LEOs on the board...

    I realize that opinions will vary, but I'm curious from an LEO perspective, are there any LEO's that would rather have citizens not be able to conceal carry legally?

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #2
    VIP Member
    Array OldVet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Posts
    15,858
    That's a rhetorical question, right?
    Gabriel02 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

  4. #3
    VIP Member
    Array Mike1956's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Marion County, Ohio
    Posts
    10,132
    Here is one of the few whose opinion is one of actual consequence:
    Police Superintendent: Concealed Carry Could Lead To More Shootings - NewsInBlack
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

  5. #4
    GH
    GH is offline
    VIP Member Array GH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    4,201
    The Chief of Police of Milwaukee is not happy about the concealed carry law in WI but the Sheriff of Milwaukee County is all for it.

    I know about a dozen LEO, my son included. They are unanimously agreed that the CC law is a good thing.
    rugergunner and DaveH like this.
    Glenn

    USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Operations Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

  6. #5
    Senior Member Array KBSR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Gulf Coast, MS
    Posts
    653
    I'm a retired law enforcement officer, and I can offer this perspective.

    I think you'll find that most rank and file officers are in favor of law abiding citizens having the option of protecting themselves with firearms. I know that an individual that has gone through the process to legally carry concealed isn't the problem, and never has been. I've always considered them to be on the good guys side.

    Many of your police executives, and their organizations like IACP support gun control, but that is pure politics. Their troops don't overwhelming support these positions. Unfortunately, the Police Chiefs and their organizations usually have the microphone, not the cop on the street.

    I know lots of cops, after over 27 years on the job, and don't know any that would support the legislation that is being threatened today. It's not the gun, it's the person behind the gun we should be focused on. Enforce the laws that already on the books. Stop letting the criminals off, when they are caught. Stop letting them out of prison early. Those things would have an impact on gun violence, not bans on rifles or high capacity magazines.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

  7. #6
    VIP Member Array Jetfuelrm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Cape Coral Florida
    Posts
    2,167
    I was an LEO for eleven years. Currently where I live now I do not know any LEO's but from all that I have talked to and asked the question, "What is your opinion on concealed carry, all of them said they think everyone should conceal carry if they qualify for such permit.
    "As a strong supporter of our 2nd Amendment rights, I believe tougher enforcement of our nation's existing gun laws must be done before any more laws are enacted and put on the books."
    Jeff Miller

  8. #7
    Senior Member Array DaveJay's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Northern VA
    Posts
    536

    For the LEOs on the board...

    I recently had an opportunity to have lunch with a couple from California. During lunch, when we discussed our jobs, I discovered he is a Sheriffs Deputy in California. So the topic of concealed carry came up, and she jumped in and proudly told me she has her CC permit. He explained that his county (in the north, it shall remain unnamed to protect the innocent) is very gun-friendly, and that most deputies in his county are very supportive of CC.

    We discussed the problems with other parts of California vis-a-vie guns...chuckled some, and enjoyed our meal. It was pleasantly eye-opening for me.
    VCDL Member
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Theodore Roosevelt

  9. #8
    Senior Moderator
    Array HotGuns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    14,837
    I think that most people would be pleasantly suprised to know how most LEO's really feel about the subject.

    The rabid anti-gunners in the LEO world are mostly the higher ranking ones that run departments and are little more than politicians or the dumb ones that are new enough to have not figured it out yet.
    PatAz and CrystalPistol like this.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

    AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

  10. #9
    VIP Member
    Array archer51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    21,135
    While not a LEO myself, I have many family members who are. Basically rank and file LEO on the street are in favor of it. The Chiefs/Commissioners who are political appointees will normally swing which ever way their political boss goes.
    PatAz and DaveH like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

    USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

  11. #10
    VIP Member Array Secret Spuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    2,604
    I'm a retired Police officer... and here's my opinion.

    The police work for the people. What ever an officers individual opinion should only hold water in their mind. All Officers are sworn to uphold, and defend the Constitution of the United States, including the second amendment. To give some credence to an Officers individual opinion is giving the police more power than they are entitled to.

    Individual Officers are entitled to their opinions... but thats all they are, opinions. People should understand there are basically three types of policemen. The first being politicians... usually chiefs and those appointed to their positions. Second is pogey police. These Officers have very little interest in actual police work, and rarely to into harms way. They tend to work at office, inside, and low risk assignments. The third is those I'd consider "Cops". These are the usually 10% of any police department who do 75% of all real police work.

    So having or hearing a police officers opinion is probably tainted by the kind of a policeman they are. The politicians I think mostly go with what ever way the wind happens to blowing or will be issued an opinion by the mayor or town counsul. Th pogey cop may see an armed citizen as the potential for more work, and a possible danger to his cushey job. Unless of course he can get off the street by working in the permit section, then he's probably be for all citizens being armed.
    The "COP" is that guy on the street you see stopping suspicious persons, making arrests, chasing stolen, and felony cars.. you the fun part of policing. I think most guys in that position see armed citizens as potential allies. These are the guys that know when the fecal matter hits the spinning blades... it really dont matter who comes to their aid. Also if an armed citizen is sucessfull in defending themself... IMO That kind of an Officer will respond with real understanding... They themselves understand how reality actually works.

    All the above is based on my experience, and my interaction with many hundreds of other officers during my career.

  12. #11
    VIP Member
    Array oneshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    +42.893612,-082.710236 , Mi.
    Posts
    7,903
    Just a coincidence; whats with the new members posting question salong the same lines as far as something pertaining to gun control??
    Heres another post , posted by another "new" member.

    leo's on here would you confiscate weapons?

    Someone from the anti gun sector of the government "fishing"?

    Just sayin!
    gregnsc likes this.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

    Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

  13. #12
    Member Array StripesDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    DFW Texas
    Posts
    406
    Quote Originally Posted by Secret Spuk View Post
    I'm a retired Police officer... and here's my opinion.

    The police work for the people. What ever an officers individual opinion should only hold water in their mind. All Officers are sworn to uphold, and defend the Constitution of the United States, including the second amendment. To give some credence to an Officers individual opinion is giving the police more power than they are entitled to.

    Individual Officers are entitled to their opinions... but thats all they are, opinions. People should understand there are basically three types of policemen. The first being politicians... usually chiefs and those appointed to their positions. Second is pogey police. These Officers have very little interest in actual police work, and rarely to into harms way. They tend to work at office, inside, and low risk assignments. The third is those I'd consider "Cops". These are the usually 10% of any police department who do 75% of all real police work.

    So having or hearing a police officers opinion is probably tainted by the kind of a policeman they are. The politicians I think mostly go with what ever way the wind happens to blowing or will be issued an opinion by the mayor or town counsul. Th pogey cop may see an armed citizen as the potential for more work, and a possible danger to his cushey job. Unless of course he can get off the street by working in the permit section, then he's probably be for all citizens being armed.
    The "COP" is that guy on the street you see stopping suspicious persons, making arrests, chasing stolen, and felony cars.. you the fun part of policing. I think most guys in that position see armed citizens as potential allies. These are the guys that know when the fecal matter hits the spinning blades... it really dont matter who comes to their aid. Also if an armed citizen is sucessfull in defending themself... IMO That kind of an Officer will respond with real understanding... They themselves understand how reality actually works.

    All the above is based on my experience, and my interaction with many hundreds of other officers during my career.
    I'm not a LEO, but have family who are, from local deputy to federal level, and you are 100% correct given what I've heard from them. Not to hijack this thread, but what do our LEO friends think about the recent events in relation to how we put a stop to the insane getting access to firearms? Close the background check loopholes? Creates database of patients who have been diagnosed with x, y or z and restrict their ownership? Restrict ownership of households where patients with x, y or z live?

    Some of these are way out there, and infringe on our rights. But no one but psychiatrists come in contact with more crazies than cops do.

    Food for thought - In TX, to get my CHL, I had to sign an affidavit that allowed our Department of Public Safety to look at my medical history. I have heard that bipolar disorder can prevent you from getting a CHL in Texas.

  14. #13
    Senior Member Array royal barnes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Wendell, N.C.
    Posts
    545
    Quote Originally Posted by Secret Spuk View Post
    I'm a retired Police officer... and here's my opinion.

    The police work for the people. What ever an officers individual opinion should only hold water in their mind. All Officers are sworn to uphold, and defend the Constitution of the United States, including the second amendment. To give some credence to an Officers individual opinion is giving the police more power than they are entitled to.

    Individual Officers are entitled to their opinions... but thats all they are, opinions. People should understand there are basically three types of policemen. The first being politicians... usually chiefs and those appointed to their positions. Second is pogey police. These Officers have very little interest in actual police work, and rarely to into harms way. They tend to work at office, inside, and low risk assignments. The third is those I'd consider "Cops". These are the usually 10% of any police department who do 75% of all real police work.

    So having or hearing a police officers opinion is probably tainted by the kind of a policeman they are. The politicians I think mostly go with what ever way the wind happens to blowing or will be issued an opinion by the mayor or town counsul. Th pogey cop may see an armed citizen as the potential for more work, and a possible danger to his cushey job. Unless of course he can get off the street by working in the permit section, then he's probably be for all citizens being armed.
    The "COP" is that guy on the street you see stopping suspicious persons, making arrests, chasing stolen, and felony cars.. you the fun part of policing. I think most guys in that position see armed citizens as potential allies. These are the guys that know when the fecal matter hits the spinning blades... it really dont matter who comes to their aid. Also if an armed citizen is sucessfull in defending themself... IMO That kind of an Officer will respond with real understanding... They themselves understand how reality actually works.

    All the above is based on my experience, and my interaction with many hundreds of other officers during my career.
    You have some good points but I have to disagree with your figures. The department I retired from has 770 sworn officers. By your numbers only 77 of them are doing "real police work". Puleeeeze! I don't suspect those figure are correct for the department where you worked either.
    I had no issues with individuals carrying as long as it was lawful. My chief felt the same way.
    CrystalPistol likes this.

  15. #14
    VIP Member Array Secret Spuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    2,604
    Quote Originally Posted by royal barnes View Post
    You have some good points but I have to disagree with your figures. The department I retired from has 770 sworn officers. By your numbers only 77 of them are doing "real police work". Puleeeeze! I don't suspect those figure are correct for the department where you worked either.
    I had no issues with individuals carrying as long as it was lawful. My chief felt the same way.
    Well My department had quite a few more sworn members. I do stand by my opinions. As I said... what issues I have is moot in the face of the law. The constitution says that people have a right to own firearms, and carry them. If a person is illegally carrying one... thats a matter for the law.. I'd arrest that person... but not based on my opinion, or personal issues. But based in the law.

  16. #15
    Member Array lnferno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    91
    Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    Just a coincidence; whats with the new members posting question salong the same lines as far as something pertaining to gun control??
    Heres another post , posted by another "new" member.

    leo's on here would you confiscate weapons?

    Someone from the anti gun sector of the government "fishing"?

    Just sayin!
    Put away the tin foil hat -- I am an NRA card carrying member and the furthest thing away from anyone from the government fishing. I am in the process of getting my CCW permit and was simply curious what the general consensus is from LEOs on this subject. I'm glad to see that the majority seem to favor it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

hr218 law michigan corrections

Click on a term to search for related topics.