non-resident concealed carry permits showing up during a traffic stop

non-resident concealed carry permits showing up during a traffic stop

This is a discussion on non-resident concealed carry permits showing up during a traffic stop within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have seen discussions about concealed carry permits showing up during a traffic stop for instance when your driver's license is run by a LEO. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: non-resident concealed carry permits showing up during a traffic stop

Question non-resident concealed carry permits showing up during a traffic stop

I have seen discussions about concealed carry permits showing up during a traffic stop for instance when your driver's license is run by a LEO. Does anyone know whether this happens if you have non-resident concealed carry permits? For example, I have a non-resident CCW for Nevada and if I get stopped in California (that where I'm from) does the NV non-resident CCW show up if the CA LEO runs my driver's license? A second question would be if I am driving in Nevada and get pulled over my a NV LEO, does my NV non-resident CCW license show up when a LEO runs my CA driver's license?
    Last edited by surferbum; January 14th, 2013 at 02:33 PM. Reason: added "non-resident" where appropriate

It all depends on what your state attaches to the info and also what the specific department gets when they run a license. There is no one answer for this. Each state is different.
    OldVet, msgt/ret, DaveH and 1 others like this.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

In Iowa your drivers license and your permit are completely seperate. Unless you tell them, they wont know.

In Florida I believe they don't know by running my plate. As stated each state is different.
    "As a strong supporter of our 2nd Amendment rights, I believe tougher enforcement of our nation's existing gun laws must be done before any more laws are enacted and put on the books."
    Jeff Miller

Not sure about other states but here in colorado there is a question on it being released for law enforcement on the permit application.... I answered no so if my license gets ran nothing pops up.

Reason... I listened to the police radio via internet and can get address and name and if they have a ccw during traffic stops... criminal can too and it would be safe to assume if you have a ccw permit you have a handgun that could be stolen.

I would make sure I'm familiar with the laws of any state that recognizes my permit and comply with the laws when stopped. In Texas, I'm required to notify the LEO that I have a permit and that I'm carrying. It probably can't hurt to do that in any situation, especially if for some reason, you're not sure. The best way to inform is to say to the LEO: "Officer, I have a permit to carry a concealed handgun, and the weapon is currently [indicate the location]. Please tell me how you want me to proceed."
    msgt/ret likes this.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

A for the most part answer: No, it usually will not.
    The same questions for an out of state permit: I can't believe it ever would show up in another state's computer.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I don't have an answer for the op's question, but in Virginia, I know from experience that it will show up when the LEO runs your drivers license.

I would think it quite unlikely your out of state permit will show up attached to your DL.

Now when in the state of your non-resident permit, it's possible that their lookup with access the DL database and their own, based on your name. Maybe.

As noted above, just be sure you know and follow the notification requirements of wherever you come into contact with LEO.
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

VIP Member
    To the best of my knowledge, a non-resident permit will not show up on a license check. Even states who link a resident permit to a resident drivers license have no way of linking the info to another states drivers license.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Its not linked here in GA
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

Quote Originally Posted by 383 View Post
    I don't have an answer for the op's question, but in Virginia, I know from experience that it will show up when the LEO runs your drivers license.
    Yep.

And no matter where it is .... if you are armed, it's not a bad idea to tell him while keeping hands on the wheel. If he's smart, he's assuming everyone is armed and watching hands (no body get's shot by a face held weapon) and if yours go for a wallett and it's near a weapon and he catches sight of it .... things could go south fast.
    NRA Life Member

Senior Moderator
    Here in Arkansas, it only shows an AR. resident.

If you are out of state, it will not show up.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 383 View Post
    To some degree it varies from PD to PD and the equipment / software they use.

In the vast majority (including the SP) Virginia issued will come up on both the owner of the vehicle when the plate is run and the operator's driver license when it is run.

OTOH, out-of-state issued do not normally.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

In Kentucky, don't tell, don't ask. Kinda' the reverse of gays in the military.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links