Why Concealed Carry?

This is a discussion on Why Concealed Carry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I got my CCW just before my son was born. It dawned on me that I had something on the way that I really needed ...

View Poll Results: Why did you decide to begin carrying concealed?

Voters
182. You may not vote on this poll
  • Always wanted to & finally became eligible due to change in state law, age, etc

37 20.33%
  • Feeling more and more unsafe due to crime reports, news stories, etc

104 57.14%
  • I was a victim of crime (was threatened, stalked, robbed, attacked, etc)

18 9.89%
  • A friend or family member encouraged me to do so

11 6.04%
  • Increased talk of gun control (exercising my rights while I still can)

12 6.59%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Why Concealed Carry?

I got my CCW just before my son was born. It dawned on me that I had something on the way that I really needed to be ready to take care of that could not take care of itself.

An LEO friend encouraged me after a few conversations & the rest is history.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

2. Remove Ads

I didn't see my option up there. I got my permit the week I turned 21, just because I've always wanted to

I am a husband and a father, and am responsible for the safety and security of my family.
    Aceoky and Jetfuelrm like this.
    Mike
    I will rarely post, but will read (and hopefully learn) a lot

I started because I got married and had a wife to protect - not just me I'm responsible for any more. Now we have kids so all the more reason to keep me/them safe. I am the protector and provider around here - that's how it works for us.
    So I carry because it's better than not carrying. No waiting period is a side benefit. I've got my wife carrying now, and she went for a walk the other day and she texted me "I like being armed". It's better than being unarmed, which is the only alternative.

Austin
    Aceoky likes this.

Working as a Paramedic I see things everyday that most don't that makes me realize it's just a smart choice.

Someone asked me once,had i ever been robbed or attacked?I told him no.He then asked me, why do you carry,if nothing, has had ever happened?.I told him,well no one,had ever been robbed,until they were.I figure why wait?.That's just me.I've had a ccw permit,since 2000,and,except for almost shooting a bulldog once,thankfully,that's been it.

My reasons match most of the above. Another reason is that I now work in the city rather than the burbs and this has woken me up to the daily possibilities as I travel to and from work.
    "The philosophy of gun control: Teenagers are roaring through town at 90MPH, where the speed limit is 25. Your solution is to lower the speed limit to 20."
    - Sam Cohen (inventor of the neutron bomb)

None of the options fits me.

I just started thinking about a gun for my new rural home, found out you could carry a firearm if you got a permit, took a 3 hr 'ladies gun class' and liked it and just kept going. A few casual conversations were positive and just kept reinforcing that it would be a good idea....no incident or worries really drove the decision.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

How about none of the above. It was part of my job for 30 years, now it's part of my life.

Because its my right and to protect me and family by all means necessary...

P.S. Peace is still and my Piece is made of Steel...

PM
    I can; the world is getting more evil and well I can!

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    -
    A choice that isn't on the list, and the answer's quite simple:

Because I can
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Two weeks ago I would have told you I carry because I can. I had an incident last week that taught me a different lesson. I'm proficient with my carry guns. If you can't shoot them, don't carry them. I've taken self defense classes, addtional concealed carry educations and have read books written by the great self defense gurus of the modern era. NO ONE EVER TOLD ME THE FIRST TIME I WOULD PULL MY WEAPON IN SELF DEFENSE WOULD BE AGAINST WILD DOGS WHILE VISITING FAMILY GRAVESITES IN MEMPHIS, TN. So the answer to the queston of why I carry is "because you just never know what's going to happen". Fortunately, my wife and I made it back to car before I had to shoot.

Other.

I was a federal lawman for 28 years and am now retired. I have HR 218 carry privilege and just feel 'normal' carrying. Not to mention I do note the crime levels in the nation at large.
    Anyone Worth Shooting Is Worth Shooting Well
    Please take a look at my Blog: http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/

Why Concealed Carry?

1.) to protect myself at my job ( I have to go out and work solo at any hour all over Charlotte and anywhere in that region)
    2.) to protect myself and others in my presence
    3.) I have little trust for anyone outside my doorstep.
    4.) because if someone wants to harm me, I won't bring a knife to a gun fight and ill be a formidable oponant.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links