I have an idea for an EDC setup

This is a discussion on I have an idea for an EDC setup within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have an idea for an EDC setup. Note that I can't do any of this any time soon. This is just preparing for the ...

Thread: I have an idea for an EDC setup

I have an idea for an EDC setup. Note that I can't do any of this any time soon. This is just preparing for the future. I'm only comfortable with revolvers for concealed carry, so I want to carry 2 for a "New York reload". One to pocket carry, like a S&W 442 or a Ruger LCR, and another for ankle carry, one with a full size extractor rod. I choose pocket carry as my primary because I'm not really a belt wearer, plus when I'm home I almost always wear either shorts or sweats above shorts. With my secondary on my ankle, I don't have to worry about drawing while seated, and carrying a revolver with a full extractor rod means much easier reloading if necessary. I'm quite a small person, 5 feet half an inch to be exact, with child hands, so small grips aren't a problem for me. Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Nothing wrong with revolver carry. Lots of people do it.

I have been carrying my SP101, albeit on the belt lately, but see no reason you can't get by with pocket and ankle carry if that works for you.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

AOK
    Both pocket carry and ankle carry have their places. However, neither of those methods of carry are ideal for quick access to your gun.

I'd strongly recommend to carry on the waist somewhere. Unless you have unique circumstances adjust your attire around the gun, not the other way around.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by circa81 View Post
    I have an idea for an EDC setup. Note that I can't do any of this any time soon. This is just preparing for the future. I'm only comfortable with revolvers for concealed carry, so I want to carry 2 for a "New York reload". One to pocket carry, like a S&W 442 or a Ruger LCR, and another for ankle carry, one with a full size extractor rod. I choose pocket carry as my primary because I'm not really a belt wearer, plus when I'm home I almost always wear either shorts or sweats above shorts. With my secondary on my ankle, I don't have to worry about drawing while seated, and carrying a revolver with a full extractor rod means much easier reloading if necessary. I'm quite a small person, 5 feet half an inch to be exact, with child hands, so small grips aren't a problem for me. Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    Have you been carrying very long?
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

If you plan to carry the weight of a revolver in your pocket, you may forced to become a belt-wearer before you're done. Have you considered a belly band?
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

You could always go fanny pack... At least you'd have room for all the other stuff that probably won't fit in sweat pants (knife, multi-tool, flashlight, band-aids, second flashlight, etc...).

While I'm on the topic, we all know that a fanny pack screams "I'm carrying a gun", but so does a Hawaiian shirt. Soooo, if you wear a fanny pack AND a Hawaiian shirt, do the two amplify or cancel each other out?

I'd volunteer to try it out, but I have, uh, a bad back or something.

A couple of people make abdominal deep concealment holsters. Smartcarry being one of them.

I carry a pocket 9mm these days because I have two extra mags that are so easy to carry along with it everywhere I go. That's a lot of pocket power. But I love revolvers and honestly dry firing and working with them for so long is the main reason I can shoot at the skill level I've been able to achieve at this point. Revolver shooting has improved my shooting with ALL guns. And the tiny barrels don't even remotely bother me any more. I can hit plates and targets you would never dream possible with such regularity and they are remarkably simple, reliable and lightning fast. I can draw from concealment and hit 3 head targets in about 1.1 seconds at my very best. On average less that 2 seconds. And also draw at 20 feet and hit a 5" target 5 times in 3-4 seconds and repeat that 5 times without missing. I own and carry LCRs and J frame 442. I hate the stock grip with the LCR so my practice LCR22 has the grip carved down with a dremel sander to make it more smooth and compact. My carry LCR has the only thing I would use which is a Crimson compact version of the laser grip.

I hate their larger CT laser version (extended) which you can buy for the 442 SW. On the SW I just went back to the stock grip which feels amazingly comfortable to my hand and against my side when carrying in waist band and it just VANISHES into my side and shirt. The smith is SO comfortable and compact. The edges and shape is a dream for carry and I like the stiff stock trigger because it's so safe. Granted I can shoot the hell out of the LCR357 with either magnum or just 38P ammo but nothing feels like that little smith on tucked into your body.

One thing on lasers. They are great for the first year or so until you can simply hit everything you aim at without even using the sights. Then the laser begins to compete with your brain and where you naturally point. Almost causing a micro second of confusion in aiming. And I can now hit closer and more accurate without the laser in all conditions. So while I love the feel of the CT compact grip the dot is often just along for the ride. Your skill eventually surpasses the laser.

The LCR with the CT grip is almost identical feeling to the J frame but the LCRs are more prone to short stroking the trigger when in a rush or panic. The Smith is a finely tuned swiss watch though and you couldn't short stoke it if you tried. So at bad breath distances they are equal. At longer range I shoot a little more accurate with the LCRs. I would have a hard time deciding which to sell if I had to. I love them equally. Ankle holster honestly is very close to worthless in a real battle and easy for someone to tackle your leg and render you unarmed. I weak side knife might be a better option and they never run out of ammo.

So I have a couple types of speed loaders and I work to be good with them. I would recommend tons of practice with snap caps and dry fire both in building trigger control and holster, reloading skills. I'm probably repeating mostly what you know already but the SL Variant (German) speed loader *30 dollars" is lightening fast. The 5 Star Firearms speed loader is the best traditional speedloader I've ever bought and USA made.

Be aware the Galco IWB holster that says Jframe/LCR is also sold by Ruger and regular stores but does not fit the LCR correctly. It is however a cheap 30 dollar super comfortable solution that carries a Jframe like a dream, wont even know you have it on. I also have a Jframe belt holster from Safari Land with retention thumb lever I use when going to parks or around kids since it's remarkably secure and solid. I also use for all my small guns an elastic holster that snaps around you and designed for joggers and sports called the PT-2 by Pistol Wear that I even use to carry around the home and property, even wearing sweats etc. I have a leather holster that sits high on my belt for the LCR. I want one like it with a thumb break eventually. Thats my revolver holster experiences, there are many great ones.

Frankly you cant make revolvers fail to feed the mag, they dont get stove pipes, they dont have slides to be knocked out of battery or interfered with, they dont have ejection ports that bite sheets, curtains, clothing and they can be fired from your coat pocket without jamming. And anyone with any brain can instantly use them, but in my opinion require a very precise deliberate frame of mind to use them without just running dry instantly. You're whole way of shooting needs to be finely tuned. One reason I carry 357 gold dots in the city. I want to be capable of a high chest shot that will completely take one man down, or a head shot and I practice that way all the time. Under 10 feet I literally cannot miss. I think they require MUCH more skill to get very good with, but have enormous advantages. And should get you out of a jam in 99 percent of cases. If you practice a lot with pistols or shoot competition it's a leap to get your skills and mind tuned back to great snubbie shooting. Remember it's not about carefully staging and creeping the trigger. You build hand strength to a point you can make a swift and brisk smooth pullwhile driving the shots into a tiny space. Dry fire, dry fire, dry fire about an hour a week. Dry fire video practice http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ec4v47eZoYg

Sorry for the long post.

My LCR videos
    http://www.youtube.com/user/GeorgiaS...deos?query=LCR

My J frame vids
    http://www.youtube.com/user/GeorgiaS...?query=J+frame

I generally enjoyed the content of your above post, except the part that says - "Under 10 feet I literally cannot miss.". I've had the privilege of shooting with & against some of the best in the world. I can tell you, without fear of contradiction, that ANYBODY...can miss. Be safe!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Just an expression but lets say it's very hard for me to miss at 10 feet. You wouldn't want to be the bad guy :) Thanks though and agreed.

Sponsored Links