Police Shoot Suspect in Theater

This is a discussion on Police Shoot Suspect in Theater within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anyone else see this? Police shoot armed suspect in San Diego movie theater, moviegoers duck for cover | Fox News I hope there is more ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By archer51

Thread: Police Shoot Suspect in Theater

Senior Member Array RightsEroding's Avatar

Police Shoot Suspect in Theater

Anyone else see this?

Police shoot armed suspect in San Diego movie theater, moviegoers duck for cover | Fox News

I hope there is more to this story. Based on only this report from FOX news, something seems a little fishy to me.

As a side note, I wondered if I had a weapon that day and confronted the gunman as the police burst in?
    "When those who are governed do too little, those who govern can, and will, do too much." Ronald Reagan

Do what you can; then do what you must

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Not sure what seems fishy.

McManus said the man initially complied with officers' order to put his hands up, but then he put them back in his lap and brandished a handgun. He said one of the officers opened fire.

Read more: Police shoot armed suspect in San Diego movie theater, moviegoers duck for cover | Fox News
    You disobey an order and produce a gun, expect to get shot. Since he apparently left a suicide note at his apartment, it sounds like he decided to commit suicide by COP.

As to your second question. Why would you have confronted him? Nothing in the story said anything about him threatening other patrons of the theater.

McManus said the gunman never made any threats to others in the theater

Read more: Police shoot armed suspect in San Diego movie theater, moviegoers duck for cover | Fox News
    Just a guess, but as long as you followed the polices order to drop your gun, nothing probably would have happened. If you didn't follow their directions, you probably would have been shot.
    Aceoky likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

From what I gathered. It looks like he and his girl were fighting in the movie and the police were called. Where the gun came into play is beyond me. One thing I'll say is this... I've kinda changed m position on entering a situation involving me using my firearm to assist anyone other than my direct party or loved one.. With all this mess going on, I'm looking at it like, it's up to each and everyone to take some responsibility for his or her safety. If I come across an obvious bad situation for some poor soul I'll evaluate it to the best of my ability, but chances are high that my view's gonna be, better you than me, or mine. I know it sounds terrible, but it is what it is and with all the anti gun sentiment out there, I refuse to put my life and that of my loved ones on the line for a individual that possibly objects to self defense and my right to use it.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    ... I've kinda changed m position on entering a situation involving me using my firearm to assist anyone other than my direct party or loved one.. With all this mess going on, I'm looking at it like, it's up to each and everyone to take some responsibility for his or her safety. If I come across an obvious bad situation for some poor soul I'll evaluate it to the best of my ability, but chances are high that my view's gonna be, better you than me, or mine...
    Sounds kind of cold, but wise. I've often thought that if I were in a situation with someone with a gun threatening a crowd in general, I'd wait until I saw him actually shoot someone before I'd pull my gun and engage him, unless he was threatening me or someone I know. It's too easy to make an error in judgement about what's happening in a sudden explosive situation like many of the shootings you read about. This would include a scenario like the theater shooting. Obviously in a situation like Sandy Hook I don't think I'd wait for the first shot before I reacted.

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by RightsEroding View Post
    Anyone else see this?

Police shoot armed suspect in San Diego movie theater, moviegoers duck for cover | Fox News

I hope there is more to this story. Based on only this report from FOX news, something seems a little fishy to me.

As a side note, I wondered if I had a weapon that day and confronted the gunman as the police burst in?
    Could be bad or good

Senior Member Array RightsEroding's Avatar
    As I said in my OP and only based in the FOX news report...

1) officers stormed in during a film screening

2) Billodeaux became the target of an intense police search

3) Witnesses tried to intervene, but he threatened them with a gun and ran to the shopping plaza.

4) Officers with dogs checked each store

5) Herbert said police turned their attention to the Cineplex after learning that an armed man had ducked into the Cineplex

6) Capt. Terry McManus told U-T San Diego that police searched theater by theater

7) the man initially complied with officers' order to put his hands up, .

8) A moviegoer told KGTV the lights suddenly went on during the film and two officers came into the theater with their guns.
    Ya..It still smells fishy.

How did the cops ID this guy?
    It appears they were looking for a unknown person with a gun (somewhere) in the mall? Was he wearing a big bird costume?
    The cops checked each store and finally magically locate the guy in a theater with 15 other people?
    Point (5) above. Sounds like the gun was in plain sight; maybe in his hand? Seems threatening to me if I was in the theater and saw a guy enter holding a pistol!

Point (8) Did the lights "suddenly" come on in all the other theaters?

Ya; the story stinks if this is how it actually went down.

..and my what if goes to point (5) and (8) "after learning that an armed man had ducked into the Cineplex" and that he had the gun ON his lap; it didn't sound like it was holstered.

So, WHAT IF I had seen a guy enter a theater that apparently had a gun in his hand and quietly takes a seat?

I could ease out to the back entrance and maybe; just maybe he won't cut loose on innocent people.....or, move in, take action, position myself to the advantage...draw my weapon and ask "Why do you have a hand gun out?"

I see a couple outcomes:

1) he tells me to buzz off in which case I draw down on him and tell him to get on the floor.

2) He turns with weapon in hand towards me in which case it's game over for him.

3) As I hold him at bay, the police burst in and shoot me!

The scenario really sucks!
    "When those who are governed do too little, those who govern can, and will, do too much." Ronald Reagan

Do what you can; then do what you must

Links