Finally heard from Fla about ccp...

This is a discussion on Finally heard from Fla about ccp... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Mr. Benson: We regret that you have been waiting so long for your concealed weapon license. The problem is that for the past several months ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finally heard from Fla about ccp...

Distinguished Member Array dben002's Avatar

Finally heard from Fla about ccp...

Mr. Benson:

We regret that you have been waiting so long for your concealed weapon license. The problem is that for the past several months our Division has been dealing with a significant increase in the number of incoming concealed weapon license applications. In fact, the demand for concealed weapon licenses is greater now than it has ever been in the 21-year history of the concealed weapon licensing program. For about the past year, we have been issuing an average of 2,000 concealed weapon licenses weekly.

Unfortunately, this increase in our workload comes at a time when resources are limited. Because of budget constraints, we have been unable to hire the additional people needed to handle the increased volume of work in as timely a manner as we would like. As a result, we are dealing with a significant backlog of applications. At the moment, we are approximately 6 weeks behind schedule. We would certainly like to hire staff or to add temporary employees to help with this backlog; however, authority to add personnel would have to be granted by the Legislature.

I do want to point out the law does impose a time limit on our Division. Section 790.06(6)(c), Florida Statutes, stipulates that within 90 days of receiving a complete application we shall either issue a license or deny the application based upon an applicant's ineligibility. At the moment, we are still within the 90-day window allowed by law in processing your application. I wish I could give you an estimate as to when we might issue your license; regrettably, it is impossible for me to give you such an estimate. We are working through our backlog of applications in the order in which we receive them, and I do not know precisely where your application may be in this backlog.

Please note we were in receipt of your application on Oct. 31. Again, we sincerely regret the long wait. I hope the delay does not pose too much of an inconvenience.

Thanks.

Mamie L. Johnson
    Compliance Officer
    Division of Licensing
    Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services

So...they have not added staff to handle the increase.........I wonder if they can't meet the 90 day deadline if they will return my application fee's or will they just make up some cock and bull reason to
    reject it so they can keep the money............

My response to her:

Mamie,

Thank you for the honest update. I am sure that after this amount of time all background and mental health information has been returned to you on my application as I have no criminal record or mental health issues.

However, one statement you made concerns me " I wish I could give you an estimate as to when we might issue your license; regrettably, it is impossible for me to give you such an estimate." This would indicate that within the department it is not known what is left to do on my application.

I would assume that if my application can not be completed within the 90 days as required by your statue, you will refund my application fees.

Thanks again, I appreciate your information and update.
    There are two types of people who carry concealed weapons...Responsible ones and Irresponsible ones...which are you...

2. Remove Ads

I would assume they would issue the permit if they could not meet the time limit.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Quote Originally Posted by Stevew View Post
    I would assume they would issue the permit if they could not meet the time limit.
    I really don't know what they do if they can't process in 90 days.....she said they were 6 weeks behind now, and it normally takes 6 to 8 weeks so now they are at 12 to 14 weeks...????? There law says 90 days...if not then what ????
    There are two types of people who carry concealed weapons...Responsible ones and Irresponsible ones...which are you...

Well they cashed our checks weeks ago and at $117.00 per permit and 2,000 a week sure seems they could put some people on over there.

It's not just the Dept of Ag that is understaffed (that's where the licensing for CC is in Fl). There is a general understaffing in the whole state. As a Florida resident, I am more concerned about the low staffing levels that affect our environmental and health agencies. I would hope that you can understand that. CCW licenses are not the highest of priorities, it just seems so to many of you. I'm sure you'll get your license soon. May I ask how long you have been living without a carry license?

Oh, I didn't notice that you are residing in Kentucky! Gee, that makes it even more important for the State of Fl to add staff so you can get your permit!

Quote Originally Posted by kaikane0812 View Post
    It's not just the Dept of Ag that is understaffed (that's where the licensing for CC is in Fl). There is a general understaffing in the whole state. As a Florida resident, I am more concerned about the low staffing levels that affect our environmental and health agencies. I would hope that you can understand that. CCW licenses are not the highest of priorities, it just seems so to many of you. I'm sure you'll get your license soon. May I ask how long you have been living without a carry license?
    Sorry but I received my NC CCL 14 business days after submission of paperwork. I submitted to FLA on Oct 30th... NC on Nov 5th. Was seeking a Fla license for all the time I spend there and if I were to be stopped wanted to show a fla lic rather than a NC license as a lot of LEO's don't know the laws on reciprocity.

Oh, I didn't notice that you are residing in Kentucky! Gee, that makes it even more important for the State of Fl to add staff so you can get your permit!
    What are you smoking??? where do you see Kentucky anywhere in this post?

Quote Originally Posted by dben002 View Post
    My response to her:

Mamie,

Thank you for the honest update. I am sure that after this amount of time all background and mental health information has been returned to you on my application as I have no criminal record or mental health issues.

However, one statement you made concerns me " I wish I could give you an estimate as to when we might issue your license; regrettably, it is impossible for me to give you such an estimate." This would indicate that within the department it is not known what is left to do on my application.

I would assume that if my application can not be completed within the 90 days as required by your statue, you will refund my application fees.

Thanks again, I appreciate your information and update.
    She is telling you that the department will not be able to get the permit to you in the 90 day window, she is not saying that if outside the 90 day window it won't happen. If all is OK, the permit will be issued, just NOT in that 90 day window. She is telling you that they have limited personnell and is, in a way, asking you to understand and voice concern with the state legislature .... so maybe they can hire staff.

Every state job involves screening, pay, benifits, and each is part of a budget and each has to authorized by the legislature. It does not matter how much $$$ is coming in, that has a place it has to go by law. They aren't like the guy that runs a small store and who can simply decide to add or subtract staff on short notice, they have to rely on the legislature.

Your response reads to me almost like an invitation to her to just give you your fee back and cancel the application ...
    ... so do let us know if a check shows up?
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by CrystalPistol View Post
    She is telling you that the department will not be able to get the permit to you in the 90 day window, she is not saying that if outside the 90 day window it won't happen. If all is OK, the permit will be issued, just NOT in that 90 day window. She is telling you that they have limited personnell and is, in a way, asking you to understand and voice concern with the state legislature .... so maybe they can hire staff.

Every state job involves screening, pay, benifits, and each is part of a budget and each has to authorized by the legislature.

It does not matter how much $$$ is coming in, that has a place it has to go by law. They aren't like the guy that runs a small store and who can simply decide to add or subtract staff on short notice, they have to rely on the legislature.

Your response reads to me almost like an invitation to her to just give you your fee back and cancel the application ...
    Then why do they have a state statue (law) that says the DOA must complete all ccp application within 90 days????

just asking??????

Quote Originally Posted by CrystalPistol View Post

Every state job involves screening, pay, benifits, and each is part of a budget and each has to authorized by the legislature.

It does not matter how much $$$ is coming in, that has a place it has to go by law. They aren't like the guy that runs a small store and who can simply decide to add or subtract staff on short notice, they have to rely on the legislature.

From Mrs. Johnsons email to me........"I do want to point out the law does impose a time limit on our Division. Section 790.06(6)(c), Florida Statutes, stipulates that within 90 days of receiving a complete application we shall either issue a license or deny the application based upon an applicant's ineligibility."

Then why do they have a state statue (law) that says the DOA must complete all ccp application within 90 days????

just asking??????
    At the time when that was enacted they likely had sufficient staff to do just that and do it with a cushion. In case you haven't noticed .... things are booming now and state legislatures never can move as fast as a market. The current environment is like a cattle stampede on a drive. They have been "swamped" as have other states.

And then, besides their own citizens, they now have people from other states applying as well to further swell the demand. Until the legislature acts in some way, the waiting time will grow.
    NRA Life Member

What are you smoking??? where do you see Kentucky anywhere in this post?
    Ah, my dyslexia kicking in. I apologize. You are not Kentucky you are North Carolina. That fact does not negate my comment sir.

From Mrs. Johnsons email to me........"I do want to point out the law does impose a time limit on our Division. Section 790.06(6)(c), Florida Statutes, stipulates that within 90 days of receiving a complete application we shall either issue a license or deny the application based upon an applicant's ineligibility."
    The law specifically states that a decision must be made within 90 days. Either it's approved, or it's denied based upon an applicant's ineligibility. If you're eligible, they're not going to deny it just because it has gone outside the 90 day window.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Ah, my dyslexia kicking in. I apologize. You are not Kentucky you are North Carolina. That fact does not negate my comment sir.
    Au contraire my good man...not for me...but for the Department of Agriculture and the thousands of applicants from all over the place...If the DOA puts itself in a position of not being able to abide by it's own statue (90 days processing time) then they should change that law...or they should suspend new applications and only accept new applications on a level they can abide by their statues.....

Plus it would be nice to be able to tell everyone that if going to Fla is going to require 3 4 5 or whatever amount of months to process their app's people would have choices as to where they may wish to apply....

Not to mention some of the other Florida members here who commented on how they were beefing up staffing and working overtime and weekends to try to meet the demand of the applications....(methinks they are mistaken)............................

It really is not a big deal, just letting everyone know the true nature of the current situation in Florida...as quoted from the people in charge at DOA.

Section 790.06(6)(c), Florida Statutes, stipulates that within 90 days of receiving a complete application we shall either issue a license or deny the application based upon an applicant's ineligibility."

Sounds like that is the "max" they have to issue UNLESS there is a valid reason to deny???
    I have to wonder IF any will be approved that should not be due to the demands , short staff and time constraints. We have this in Ky but I have not heard of "too many to handle" (Yet)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links