CCL And Churches - Page 3

CCL And Churches

This is a discussion on CCL And Churches within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Jemsaal Legally, I think it should be up to the church. Spiritually - I have a hard time using force to defend ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: CCL And Churches

Quote Originally Posted by Jemsaal View Post
    Legally, I think it should be up to the church.

Spiritually - I have a hard time using force to defend something that is "God's to defend." I feel the same way about myself. If I'm confronted by deadly force and in the course of the confrontation I find out it's about my faith, my weapon is staying holstered.
    If a person comes into a religious assembly to do harm to any of the congregants or to rob them then the attack isn't about my faith. I don't have any problem defending my blood family or my church family. If a person comes into the assembly to forcibly "convert" the members I still don't have a problem defending them.

God has given us the means to do many things, both good and bad; we have to choose correctly.
    The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.

George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Jemsaal View Post
    Legally, I think it should be up to the church.

Spiritually - I have a hard time using force to defend something that is "God's to defend." I feel the same way about myself. If I'm confronted by deadly force and in the course of the confrontation I find out it's about my faith, my weapon is staying holstered.
    Luke 22:36 Sell your cloak and buy a Glock. (Glock had not been invented yet, but it would have been the choice over a sword.)
    bigwill72 and Ransom like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

A REALLY GREAT bunch of replies on this thread. Thanks to all for your advice and input.

This is truly a topic that one must wrestle with in his own conscience.

It is obvious that no Christian would want to take another person's life for ANY reason. But if I sit by and do nothing when I have the ability in my hand to protect an innocent life... then I feel I am guilty as well.

I HATE violence of ANY kind... but by gum... If a person chooses to do violence upon an innocent, then violence he shall receive to himself... "AND THAT, REAL SOON!"

BTW, this website also has some sources on the interpretation of the laws, especially in churches in Texas.

TCHA: Civilian Carry

This website is a good source of information for carrying in churches in Texas.

TCHA: Civilian Carry

Here's information on why carry in church is a valid concern:

Ministry Violence Statistics
    CJM likes this.
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Luke 22:36 Sell your cloak and buy a Glock. (Glock had not been invented yet, but it would have been the choice over a sword.)
    my pastor actualy did a sermon on this, and the next vers which, in a nutshell, says we have 2, and jesus said thats enough. he doesn't own, but at least 3 other in my church carry, we dont talk about it we just wink wink nod nod about it.
    “But now,” he said, “take your money and a traveler’s bag. And if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one!” Luke 22:36 (NLT)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoJoGunn View Post
    Not certain about my denomination (Episcopal) but I know several who have their carry permits both WV and OH.

I don't "ask" if they carry, they don't "ask" me. We just smile and say.....oh well!
    Just FYI, in OH, it is illegal, as in a felony, to carry into a church unless you have permission from the leadership (pastor, elders or deacons depending on how the church is governed.) I strongly recommend that you get this approval in writing.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mkh View Post
    Church carry is legal in Florida.

As head of security I carry and I know of about 30 others in the church that have their permits. I don't question them about carry so some may not but I do,know of several that do carry a church.
    Dang, they must be pretty strong. Do they plan to throw the church at the BG if he shows up? :0

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Ret - remember it was pre-1934, he would have said get a M4 - it is better than the Glock and can do selective fire as well as the full auto the G18 can do. :)

CJM
    Quote Originally Posted by sdprof View Post
    Here's information on why carry in church is a valid concern:

Ministry Violence Statistics
    Thanks for that link.
    "Thank you for the advice Mr. Vice President, but I'll be keeping my AR15 for defending my home and family."

...nor is mine...all through history, God has been our protector...and He's used well-trained, well-armed men to do it with...if He needs me for that service, I'm ready, willing, and able...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Mine isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    You need to read the rest of the law. Stopping where you did, did you a disservice. Carry in churches in Texas is not prohibited.

If there is not a 30.06 sign posted, churches, ammusement parks, hospitals and governmental meetings are no longer off limits for CHL holders.
    I thought that was the case. Thanks for posting the entire teaxt.

Quote Originally Posted by KyBill View Post
    If you are unwilling to defend yourself using your own gun, does that mean you would also be unwilling to involve the police ( because they might use their guns to defend you?There is an interesting book named "Shooting Back" by Charl Van Wyk you might want to read. He is a minister and carries all the time. When armed terrorists entered the church and began shooting people, he shot back, causing those cowards to flee. Some of his scriptural references are out of context but the majority are properly referenced.
    A great book, written by Charl van Wyck after his heroic actions during the Saint James Church Massacre in 1993 in South Africa.

From a philosophical point, most western religions look at self defense as a "natural law" a right that is inherent. For my fellow Catholics, this is a topic that has been discussed in depth. Pope John Paul II, in his encyclical, Evangelium Vitae, The Gospel of Life, released in March, 1995 states: "Moreover, legitimate defence can be not only a right but a grave duty for someone responsible for another's life, the common good of the family or of the State".44 Unfortunately it happens that the need to render the aggressor incapable of causing harm sometimes involves taking his life. In this case, the fatal outcome is attributable to the aggressor whose action brought it about, even though he may not be morally responsible because of a lack of the use of reason." 45. Chapter III, God's Holy Law.

Bottom line is that philosophically and morally, there really isn't a question, however, the issue revolves around state law and what your respective state will allow.
    Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But, I repeat myself. ...Mark Twain: Manuscript note, c.1882.
    NRA Life Member & JPFO Member.
    Sig & CZ-aholic, a Ruger SP101 3" & Wiley Clapp GP100

As a Pastor I have thought this issue over very carefully. I always carry in Church. A Pastor friend of mine was counselling a lady going through a divorce, when the husband burst in and shot her. To think it would never happen in your Church is naive

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links