Most deadly weapon...guns or baseball bats?

This is a discussion on Most deadly weapon...guns or baseball bats? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Yo Joe, Outlaw baseball bats...!...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Most deadly weapon...guns or baseball bats?

Most deadly weapon...guns or baseball bats?

Yo Joe,

Outlaw baseball bats...!
    Attached Images

2. Remove Ads

aus71383 likes this.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

This graphic doesn't mesh with the spreadsheets and statistics I've seen on the actual FBI website. Who made this?

Austin

aus71383 likes this.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

VIP Member
    We all look stupid when we try to use statistics and interesting little facts to change the truth. What's the most deadly weapon? Well I've been hit by baseball bats a few times in my life and I'm still around. If you give me a choice of getting hit by a bat again or getting shot I'll get in the line for the bat. Clearly a baseball bat isn't as dangerous as a gun when used against you. Yes, both can kill you. One can do it much easier than the other.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

VIP Member
    Statistics mean nothing. They are too easily manipulated to fit an agenda. Doesn't matter if it is for or against a point, you can twist the numbers to give you the results you want.
    Echo_Four, msgt/ret and aus71383 like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

We should outlaw unintentional falls. Make it a felony, then it's sure to go down.

MAFDU: Mothers Against Falling Down Unintentionally, coming to a bastion of progressive thinking near you, by the folks who brought you the income tax laws and the ketchup grading board.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

If you share this as an "argument" and someone checks your facts - you're going to fail.

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/dvs/dea...10_release.pdf

FBI 2011
    Homicides in general: 12,664
    Homicides with Firearms: 8,583
    Cutting instruments: 1,694
    Personal weapons (hands feet etc..): 726
    Blunt objects: 496
    Asphyxiation: 89
    Strangulation: 85
    etc.....

CDC 2010
    Suicide (in general): 38,364
    Suicide with firearm: 19,392
    Assault/Homicide (in general): 16,259
    Assault/Homicide with firearms: 11,078
    Legal Intervention: 412
    Accidental discharge of firearms: 606

Injury by firearms: 31,672

It could be argued that the person that made the graphic was just too stupid to notice the offset columns on the CDC chart. In reality - it's just a lie.

Austin
    Lotus222 and Bmoliv66 like this.

The Fine Print

Quote Originally Posted by aus71383 View Post
    This graphic doesn't mesh with the spreadsheets and statistics I've seen on the actual FBI website. Who made this?

Austin
    It is correct. There's a technicality. It's specific to rifles.

VIP Member
    In the wrong hands either are equally deadly.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Oh, it's definitely baseball bats. You can get Robert De Niro to verify that for you.

"The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    Hit placement with a baseball bat is just the same as shot placement with a handgun. A hit to the head with a 32 oz baseball bat would be the same as COM shot with a handgun and quite sure both would be deadly.
    msgt/ret and USM1976 like this.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

While in Canada, I kept getting asked about "guns" in America. Now , while there ... I was also warned numerous times not to go down by the River Mall & Markets in the evenings..... because "gangs" controlled the area. They would carry sawed off baseball bats under their coats, etc. and then gang up on someone to rob them, and then either beat them or kill them with the bats. Each morning .... there were at least 2-3 different articles about someone or people being killed the previous night / day. Many times being beaten to death or stabbed to death. I started telling them, sorry..... but I would rather be shot than beat to death with a sawed off baseball bat or stabbed to death. There were a lot of murders going on there.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four View Post
    We all look stupid when we try to use statistics and interesting little facts to change the truth. What's the most deadly weapon? Well I've been hit by baseball bats a few times in my life and I'm still around. If you give me a choice of getting hit by a bat again or getting shot I'll get in the line for the bat. Clearly a baseball bat isn't as dangerous as a gun when used against you. Yes, both can kill you. One can do it much easier than the other.
    I think you miss the point of the OP's argument. It is not just baseball bats. The fact (from FBI statistics) is simply that more people are killesd each year in violent crimes by result of blunt trama.

This can be a basball bat, hammer, ax or a lead pipe. It is also a fact that most violent crimes involving guns are not by AR-15's or rifles. Further, I know of no statistic from the FBI or any other source that tracks the magazine capacity of any firearm. A possible exception might be states the already have laws restricting magazine capacity that are not reported.

Enforce the laws already on the books and get lazy procssecutors to do their jobs and get convictions. That would is a good first step in proventing violent crime.

Proposed gun bans of any sort is just politics as usual.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

98% of all statistics are made up
    USM1976 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links