witness

This is a discussion on witness within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am new to CCW, but I been thinking, when it comes the time that you need to draw your weapon to protect you or ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: witness

witness

I am new to CCW, but I been thinking, when it comes the time that you need to draw your weapon to protect you or the love ones in public, there might be a times there is no witness to prove you that you fired for your self defense, don't you guys think, it's best for us to have some sort of surveillance camera that we can easy to carry and record the whole situations that proves that we draw the gun at last result? what you guys think?

2. Remove Ads

IMO, if it comes down to the protection of yourself or your family you have to make the best decision in that situation. In what you are saying it really comes down to a judgement call. If I was in the situation and drawing my weapon was the last result I would and not hesitaie to do it, but ultimately you want to try and stay away from those types of situations as best as possible.
    "Dont be afraid to go after what you want to do, and what you want to be. But don't be afraid to be willing to pay the price." - Lane Frost

BTW, welcome to the forum.......
    "Dont be afraid to go after what you want to do, and what you want to be. But don't be afraid to be willing to pay the price." - Lane Frost

Quote Originally Posted by markchao View Post
    don't you guys think, it's best for us to have some sort of surveillance camera that we can easy to carry and record the whole situations that proves that we draw the gun at last result?
    Depends on your point of view, I suppose.

If it were a "black box" type of thing that recorded as we walked along during our daily lives, perhaps it could cover enough of a situation to prove something was as you say. But such things can cut both ways. "Proof" often is in the eyes of the beholder. Witness juried trials, for example. The full and complete "truth" doesn't always get out there.

Wouldn't surprise me that something like this is nearly ready for prime time. If it required any form of active consideration on my part to run it, I'd absolutely not want to deal with it, as I'd be too busy dealing with the exploding situation. However, the more our public lives exist in community spaces (shopping areas, restaurants, gatherings), the more likely such places will be filmed by surveillance cameras. I'd say: not worth worrying about, as it's coming to a street corner near you. For me, I'll just continue to adhere to the basic principles of justifiable self-defense.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Assistant Administrator
    From me too -

We have discussed this in a thread some while ago - and benefits would seem debatable. We have seen dashcam footage sometimes which makes things appear other than what they were.

From a practical POV I cannot see it being feasable. If we carry and are permanently ''at the ready'' for that one in million time we have to defend ourselves - I am not sure how I would reliably have some vid gear also ''at the ready'' in the instant needed when something might go down.

Priority would be me trying to save my butt - and no time for assembling any witness material, human or electronic
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Just seems a little like 'big brother' watching all the time to me. I have got enough government scrutiny already. I guess that the likely hood of me ever needing to defend myself is really low. I am careful afterall. But if I need to I need to, and if I survive than I will worry about the aftermath, after.
    The world is a dangerous place to live... not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. - Albert Einstein

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    I saw an episode of "Law and Order" that featured this idea. A denizen of the streets wore a bandanna around his head with a tiny video camera pointed toward his field of view, connected via a cable to a video recorder in his backpack or fannypack. He kept it running all the time just because he was a techno-geek. As you probably guessed by now, its practical use in L&O was a videotape of his murderer.

I think the technology exists in the real world, so it could be done---perhaps with a continuously updated digital record of the most recent hour. A CCWer would have to commit to running it all the time he was outside his house, however. Seems like far too big a pain for me to consider it, but it could help. Those of us who think a cell phone is absolutely mandatory for CCW might think such a video record would be equally valuable.

The downside is that such a record would be editable. It might convince an investigating officer; however, if a shooter were tried, probably any prosecutor could get this record excluded from evidence.
    Last edited by Anubis; October 21st, 2006 at 09:23 AM.

VIP Member
    That sure sounds like a lot of gear to leave the house to feel safe. I myself carry a gun, 2 extra mags, a knife, a cell phone and do not think I have the room for a surveillance camera. When I have to draw my weapon I'll know I did the right thing and hopefully others there who may need to judge me will also know I did the right thing.

I agree. It seems a bit much for everyday carry.

By the way, welcome to the forum.

First off........... Welcome aboard! This is a very informative forum, and I find myself getting stuck reading and reading more than posting, but......

I find it very sad that we, the American people, actually have to think about this type of thing just to protect ourselves. Everyone wants their freedom here, but when someone protects themselves from a BG wanting to take the freedom away basically, we are to blame???

When are we going to hold the BG responsible for all actions and NOT allow the family and friends of the BG to have a say so about it?
    Sean
    XD 9SC | XD 45ACP Service | XD 45ACP Compact |Borealis
    "You may know where you are. God may know where you are. If you don't tell your dispatcher where you are, you'd better be on speaking terms with God!"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    From me too -

We have discussed this in a thread some while ago - and benefits would seem debatable. We have seen dashcam footage sometimes which makes things appear other than what they were.

From a practical POV I cannot see it being feasable. If we carry and are permanently ''at the ready'' for that one in million time we have to defend ourselves - I am not sure how I would reliably have some vid gear also ''at the ready'' in the instant needed when something might go down.

Priority would be me trying to save my butt - and no time for assembling any witness material, human or electronic
    He is right then you'd be accused of staging for the camera even if you could do both actions. You'd need a video gun, otherwise.

Truth of the matter is that there is usually always a witness, whether they come forward or not. The only time I could see that there weren't would be in a very remote place away from all civilization. If you're someone near civilization I would suggest the same thing that LEOs are trained for... Make your witnesses.

When giving your commands, give them loud. Even if someone doesn't see what you guys are doing, they can easily recall that they heard someone saying "stop or I'll shoot", "drop your weapon", etc. repeatedly and very loudly. There's your witness, on your side whether they know it or not. Curious people will hear your commands and also come to "see what's going on". Even better witnesses. ;O)

Cheers & welcome to the board.

First of all, thank you everyone for warm welcome to this wonderful place :)

You guys made me feel like part of your group already..... Thank you.....

I think everyone's suggestions have a lot of truth to it one way or other, yes I think it is a hassle too, but what I think same time these type of gadget will also save a lot of time in court or in Police department, or save money if you need to hire a lawyer....

What if this gadget is some what look like pen or badge, and it has some sort of activation, maybe like voice demand or just one touch to activate........

Or I should stop watching Law&Orders......and not to worry too much...... :)

All I am try to say is, We are carrying it for ONE reason....Protection for you and your love one.... and same time I don't want my love ones to go through the pain or headaches of law system later on when or if any thing happens.....

Again, thank you for your guys warm welcome.....

:)

Lew
    The premiss made me think of combat air craft gun cams. If you made a small digital camera and mounted it like a lazer and set it to record on the grip switch, it is feasible. I am not sure I would want it, even if it could clear me. I could see it instead being used to damn me. Could easily be done though.
    There are 2 types of people, victims and the prepared. I choose to be prepared....

"Bless thee, O Lord, This handgrenade, that it may blow thine enemies to bits. Amen" ~Monty Python's Holy Grail

My Blazer Website

My new, Unofficial Cam and Company Fan site.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links