NC Turn Around Dilemma

This is a discussion on NC Turn Around Dilemma within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Maybe I've missed the red tape, but I submitted in Durham Co. in early November and the issue date was 11/24. I didn't get it ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: NC Turn Around Dilemma

Maybe I've missed the red tape, but I submitted in Durham Co. in early November and the issue date was 11/24. I didn't get it until early December because no one called to tell me it was in. I followed up on it myself. The main issue I had was with the medical records company spelling my last name wrong and that delayed my medical record release. I found Durham's application process to be pretty relaxed. I think Orange Co. is a lot worse..heck a friend of mine applied in Chatham Co and it was more involved than mine was at Durham.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array dben002's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DmaxSurveyor View Post
    TT, Which county did you submit in, if you don't mind me asking. I submitted mine in Moore on Dec. 5th, sure hope it does not take that long.

I seem to remember someone else in NC recently posted that they got there CCP in like 10 days. Forgot what county.
    That may have been me.....14 business days from submission and I had mine in hand...Forsyth County....I submitted on Nov 5th I believe...(it was the first Monday in November)...

Don't know why his is taking so long or why they will not give him straight answers to his questions...Here they are very friendly and helpful with any type questions......
    There are two types of people who carry concealed weapons...Responsible ones and Irresponsible ones...which are you...

NC Bullseye is correct. It's 45 days from when the SO receives ALL of the requested responses for your med/mental health requests to surrounding medical providers. It took 85 days for my wife and I to ours.

We live in Caldwell County.

I think the 10 day turnaround was from a poster in Granville County if my memory serves me.

Delay Columbus County NC

I'm well over 100 days, and not a word. All I get is "We'll Call You When It's Ready."
    Anyone have any idea as to what is going on?????

02/07/13

Quote Originally Posted by spsko View Post
    I'm well over 100 days, and not a word. All I get is "We'll Call You When It's Ready."
    Anyone have any idea as to what is going on?????

02/07/13
    What you need to do is contact the sheriffs office and ask them when they received the mental/medical health responses they sent out. By law they have 45 days from the time they receive all of the paperwork back from the requested checks. If they have not received all of the checks back, ask when they where sent and which ones are late. Then call the ones that are late yourself and ask what the hold up is.

Sometimes you have to light a fire under some of the health info providers.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

Senior Member Array palmcoaster's Avatar
    times are lengthy most everywhere these days as the fear has spread

Distinguished Member Array dben002's Avatar
    Yes, they will call when ready....if you're not there to answer the phone they don't leave messages...(at least here they don't)...and I don't know that they will call back if you don't answer...I was lucky..I was not home when they called but saw the incoming call on the caller ID list and called them back....Don't know about where you live, but here once they call you have only 30 days to pick-up...after 30 days you have to do it all over again......so call them...quickly......
    There are two types of people who carry concealed weapons...Responsible ones and Irresponsible ones...which are you...

Quote Originally Posted by TurboTurtle View Post
    Guilford County. Aside from Durham it's the most anti-gun county in the state.

The the west, places like Yadkin county I hear have about a 30 day turn around at most.
    There's your answer. Mecklenburg is just as bad.

Quote Originally Posted by mikey3861 View Post
    NC Bullseye is correct. It's 45 days from when the SO receives ALL of the requested responses for your med/mental health requests to surrounding medical providers. It took 85 days for my wife and I to ours.

We live in Caldwell County.
    Our sheriff issues in 45 days regardless of whether he's gotten responses. The FBI is the real holdup and he suspects that a lot of their delay is politically motivated.

Arrow Delay Columbus County NC

I have contacted them.
    They say they are having problems getting ANY information back from Mental Health.
    They said they haven't received anything form them in weeks.
    Don't know how true that is.........

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    What you need to do is contact the sheriffs office and ask them when they received the mental/medical health responses they sent out. By law they have 45 days from the time they receive all of the paperwork back from the requested checks. If they have not received all of the checks back, ask when they where sent and which ones are late. Then call the ones that are late yourself and ask what the hold up is.

Sometimes you have to light a fire under some of the health info providers.

Quote Originally Posted by spsko View Post
    I have contacted them.
    They say they are having problems getting ANY information back from Mental Health.
    They said they haven't received anything form them in weeks.
    Don't know how true that is.........
    Then as I said, YOU need to find out exactly what service they are waiting on and call them yourself. Tell them they are causing a delay and you would like to know WHEN the sheriffs office can expect a response from them. Tell them the SO submitted a request on X date and are waiting for them.

You may be surprised to find they have already responded and it got lost in the shuffle. Don't rely on the person at the sheriffs office who undoubtedly has been swamped for a while to fight your specific battle.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    From what I have been hearing permit requests have tripled in the last few months and most counties have a backlog.
    Bingo!

Quote Originally Posted by DmaxSurveyor View Post
    TT, Which county did you submit in, if you don't mind me asking. I submitted mine in Moore on Dec. 5th, sure hope it does not take that long.
    Forgot to post, but I finally got mine on Jan. 24, a little over 45 days. Must have been a bunch passed out that day, as I headed to Staples after I picked it up to get it laminated & the lady said I was the 3rd person that day to get their CCP laminated.

I wouldn't make an enemy out of the Sheriff's Office

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links