NC Turn Around Dilemma

This is a discussion on NC Turn Around Dilemma within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I submitted my CCW application on November 1st of 2012. NC state law is shall issue within 45 days, here we are on day 84 ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: NC Turn Around Dilemma

NC Turn Around Dilemma

I submitted my CCW application on November 1st of 2012. NC state law is shall issue within 45 days, here we are on day 84 and I still do not have my permit.

I couldn't get through on the phone previously so today I was finally able to get down to the SO and they tell me they just started processing my application. They refused to listen to me when I pointed out that NC is shall issue in 45 days.

Options?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    First, do you have any proof of when you submitted it? return mailing receipt, canceled check...

Next present them with the proof.

If they won't accept it. Call your state representative/senator or a lawyer.

VIP Member
    Contact your state legislator and have him see why the SO is in violation of the law.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    From what I have been hearing permit requests have tripled in the last few months and most counties have a backlog.
    Jetfuelrm and IBGoodToGo like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    From what I have been hearing permit requests have tripled in the last few months and most counties have a backlog.
    Yes they are backlogged here in Fla also. I am glad I already have mine. I probably would do what Phreddy suggested other than that I am not sure what else to do.
    "As a strong supporter of our 2nd Amendment rights, I believe tougher enforcement of our nation's existing gun laws must be done before any more laws are enacted and put on the books."
    Jeff Miller

You have to remember, it's not 45 days from when you submit your application, it's 45 days from when the SO receives ALL of the requested responses for your med/mental health requests to surrounding medical providers.

If you call the sheriffs office, ask them if all of the health checks have been received and if yes, when they last was received. If not, ask who has not responded and call that provider yourself and ask what the hold up is.

Some of the record providers are getting swamped too with the CHP records checks and are lagging behind too.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

Proof of submission is my signed/dated application itself which also has a Notary stamp on it.

I'm trying to get the information on when they received the last document but they're not exactly being forthcoming (and they just closed for today to boot).

As for the other matter brought up, I don't believe a backlog is any reason/excuse to go beyond required deadlines. This will, of course, be dependent on when they go in the last of the paperwork.

TT, Which county did you submit in, if you don't mind me asking. I submitted mine in Moore on Dec. 5th, sure hope it does not take that long.

I seem to remember someone else in NC recently posted that they got there CCP in like 10 days. Forgot what county.

Guilford County. Aside from Durham it's the most anti-gun county in the state.

The the west, places like Yadkin county I hear have about a 30 day turn around at most.

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar

NC Turn Around Dilemma

I agree Guilford is nasty in that regard (I live there too) as he takes advantage of every delay allowed. The good news is that when it comes to renewal, if you renew within 90 days of expiration your permit remains valid until it is renewed or your officially denied. Since it is a must issue state, unless you've committed an offense, this should never be a problem for you again.

New Member Array Chrischandler71's Avatar

NC Turn Around Dilemma

I submitted mine the Friday before Christmas here in Jackson County, GA. Was told 2 weeks... I called today, and they told me mine went out in the mail yesterday. So it took about 3 weeks for mine. When I went into the probate court to fill out the application, they were covered up in people requesting CCL. I knew there would be a delay in mine. Happy that it only took 3 weeks.. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VIP Member
    This was reported on WRAL in reference to permits in Wake County but they did not say if it was in reference to purchase or carry permits.

Applications for gun permits skyrocket in Wake County

Raleigh, N.C. — Applications for gun permits in Wake County nearly tripled in the last six weeks over the same time period last year, according to the Wake County Sheriff's Office.

From Dec. 1, 2012, to Jan. 11, 2013, 3,628 people applied for and were granted permits. In the same time period a year earlier, 1,372 applied for permits and were granted.

The sheriff's office, which administers applications for the county, could not say how the Dec. 14 mass shootings at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn., affected the number of permits.
    Applications for gun permits skyrocket in Wake County :: WRAL.com
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Don't worry. I'm sure you're fine. It took just over 2 1/2 monthe to get mine. And that is about normal, at least in my county.
    Donnie D
    "When the people fear government, there is tyranny, when government fears the people, there is liberty"

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Yet another "I waited until the election to apply for my permit and don't know why it's taking so long" thread. I suppose you're going out tomorrow to find a gun and ammo?
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Yet another "I waited until the election to apply for my permit and don't know why it's taking so long" thread. I suppose you're going out tomorrow to find a gun and ammo?
    Dang OV, cut the guy a little slack, if ya notice he submitted the week before the election. Some counties were running behind before the election. It's not always the sheriffs offices' fault.Many times it is but not always.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links