Calling All Texas CHL holders....

This is a discussion on Calling All Texas CHL holders.... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by bigdogtx But some of us are not always in Texas, which I would like to see a national program of this type. ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Calling All Texas CHL holders....

Quote Originally Posted by bigdogtx View Post
    But some of us are not always in Texas, which I would like to see a national program of this type. I currently just use my PrePaid legal.
    I'm a member of this one. CHLPP is a legal services membership organization for concealed handgun licence/permit holders. Covers you in any state. How good are they? Who knows, I've never been involved in a shooting. If I ever am, then I'll let you know if they are worth it.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by rwponline View Post
    IANAL, but the Texas Castle Doctrine includes defense against civil liability. So if it's ruled justifiable or no-billed, then you have nothing to worry about in civil court. If there is uncertainty about the nature of the incident and your (hypothetical) case goes to criminal court, I would advise you scrape every bit of cash you can get your hands on and get a really good lawyer. I would not wait on or rely on some insurance scheme, especially since you can't even get in touch with them when you are not in jail!
    So, if you were involved in a self defense shooting, you would have no problem talking to the police without a lawyer present? Might want to ask George Zimmerman how that turn on for him.

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    I have looked at their info. Haven't been swayed to purchase it, but it does look like a decent program if it is what they advertise it to be. From what I remember, TLS does cover the grand jury portion of your defense.

To play devils advocate, if the phone call on the cell phone that interupted your call, was a call because of a need for the service, that would certainly be more pressing than to finish selling you on the plan. Just a thought.
    They cover coaching you for a grand jury, but not legal representation in the grand jury. Note that you can't take an attorney with you in front of a grand jury. The only attorney present is the prosecutor.

Quote Originally Posted by 68blackbird View Post
    Sorry to hear that, I have found his site the most informative for me during the process of getting my CHL.
    Informative when his moderators aren't chastising people, or when senior members aren't acting like jerks. I've never seen attacks like those that go on there. Some good people, but many idiots. And very anti OC.

Quote Originally Posted by rwponline View Post
    IANAL, but the Texas Castle Doctrine includes defense against civil liability. So if it's ruled justifiable or no-billed, then you have nothing to worry about in civil court.
    It provides a defense, it doesn't prevent someone from suing you. You'll still have to go to court, you'll still have to have a lawyer, still have to do the process, but once you prove that it fell in the realm of self-defense, the case is decided.

I signed up for them. I'm also signed up for pre-paid legal through my work for other trivial civil things. At the very least, it gives me access to lawyers to ask questions to when I need them. $10 isn't a big deal for that type of benefit (beats doing a full retainer for much more). If something happens, I can always decide to use a different lawyer, but it doesn't hurt to have one on call at a moments notice, who can be there playing interference with the police right when it happens. (My lawyer sister isn't always available and isn't part of the Texas BAR :P )

I had to do my own searching for a felony defense lawyer last year and let me tell you, it isn't fun, it's full of emotion.

As an aside, I could have sworn I saw a couple of cases from them in the past? Maybe it was their sales guy at my CHL class (Though I didn't buy it right then, I looked around for several weeks)

Thanks!!! I have been looking into joining, but can't find any proof of performance. Sounds good but still not sold

They post their specific lawyers online... look them up, look at their reviews, awards, etc etc.

Quote Originally Posted by StripesDude View Post
    They cover coaching you for a grand jury, but not legal representation in the grand jury. Note that you can't take an attorney with you in front of a grand jury. The only attorney present is the prosecutor.
    Here is link to their OVERVIEW page - Program Overview
    The wise man looks for ways to minimize mistakes, a fool boasts it will never happened to him.

"The problem is not the availability of guns, it is the availability of morons."
    - Antonio Meloni

Quote Originally Posted by 68blackbird View Post
    Here is link to their OVERVIEW page - Program Overview
    Very misleading. Law prohibits defendant attorney representation in a grand jury room. Proceed with caution.

My CHL class was given a presentation by TLS and I joined at the time. HOWEVER, after reveiwing the CHLPP site, mentioned above, CHLPP appears to be more comprehensive, covering ALL 50 States for basically the same price as TLS. TLS ONLY covers Texas, unless you want to pay a nominal additional charge for the other states where they have representation.

Thanks for starting this thread. I wouldn't have had any other reason to research it.
    Always Carry, Never Tell
    S&W Shield 9mm
    Ruger LCP .380
    NRA Member
    Certified NRA Instructor

Very misleading. Law prohibits defendant attorney representation in a grand jury room. Proceed with caution.
    Yes, I have been reading the codes....your lawyer can advise you outside the grand jury room, they cannot be in there during grand jury hearing. I don't know, IANAL, reading these laws/penal codes is somewhat difficult, but from what I can understand, between Castle Doctrine and CHL laws, if I were to use my weapon in a legitimate self defense incident, the grand juries here in Texas seem to favor the law abiding citizen. I talked to a criminal defense lawyer today, will have a follow-up with him soon to discuss my options.
    The wise man looks for ways to minimize mistakes, a fool boasts it will never happened to him.

"The problem is not the availability of guns, it is the availability of morons."
    - Antonio Meloni

These services make a ton of money, because they are basically an insurance policy that insures some of the most law abiding citizens in the event that they are involved in a gun related situation. By definition, we as CHL holders are not trouble makers, and the likelihood that we would need representation through a grand jury, to a trial, is slim to none. George Zimmerman is a very public case for obvious reasons, but you rarely hear of these types of things happening.

Have heard in other forums that in my state, CHL holders are involved in class B misdemeanors at a lesser rate (% of CHL population) than are LEOs in Texas. We are better behaved than the cops, and are not in near the amount of troubling situations - a good bet for insurers.

I've seen these discussions on Texas Gun Talk too. They basically follow what this thread has done. Some think it's good, some think you don't need it, others find an alternative source they think is better. Since we don't read many stories about CHL holders being charged in shooting incidents, that doesn't leave much for services like that to prove their worth or establish a track record.

It's an insurance policy. One thing insurance does is offer peace of mind. Sometimes that makes it all worth while. Then again, sometimes after you deal with your insurance company in a claim, you end up being pissed that you've paid them all this money and gotten a raw deal in return.

Like most insurance, the odds of you needing this service is pretty slim, but if you do ever need it, you'll probably be glad you had it.

These services make a ton of money, because they are basically an insurance policy .....
    Most insurance policies and rates favor the insurer. That's why they're still in business. Of course every once in a while a big claim comes along and the insured is money ahead.

Sounds very fishy to me. But then I lived in Houston at one time and knew of lots of scams. And, since living here...... a guy 'giving my wife a loan" (now EX - wife) ...... was amazed to get me when they called (base in Houston) .... and would not provide me any information. When I noted I would be a responsible party, by the laws they had to give me the information. A couple of phone calls, and found they were sending mailings as well to our PO Box. So, long story short... something just didn't sit "right" , and the address they had was a "field" ..... didn't exist. Followed with the DA's office there to find .... they "were adamantly trying to locate and find these guys," as they have been scamming all types of people. Then...... when I had one more conversation with them..... they made a bigger mistake. I told them stop all calls and all mailings to our address..... so, they began sending 1-2 mailings per DAY, calling constantly, etc. So....... I filed a complaint with the US Postal General for using the mail for harrassment, gave them tons of info, and for fraud..... because they did not exist, weren't legite, etc. and perpetuating this fraud across state lines via the US Mail.

The DA in Houston contacted me and told me that the US Post Office and US DOJ had started an investigation of them. Leave it up to the US Post Office to be able to find anyone....... they did, and they were brought up on so many Federal and State charges they would never live in the free world again.

So.... if it doesn't smell right .... follow your instinct, 10-1 , it isn't.

And Houston, is known for things like this coming out of there.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

I know you asked for first-person testimonials, and thankfully I can't give you one. But a friend of mine, also a CHL holder, had occasion about a year ago to discharge his weapon with 1,000 feet of a residence. He had to kill two pit bulls that attacked him and his wife. Knowing he had committed a violation of the Texas Penal Code, he called Texas Law Shield. Then he called the Sheriff's Dept.

The attorney arrived before the deputy did. The deputy's first inclination was to confiscate my friend's gun, take him to jail, and let a judge sort it out the next day. But after talking with the attorney the deputy sent my friend home with his gun and wrote the owner of the dogs a citation for letting them run loose.

I've had car insurance for about fifty years and never needed it. I've had Texas Law Shield for about five years and never needed it, either. But I'm not going to cancel either one.
    If you would enslave a people, first you must disarm them.

~ Adolf Hitler
    ~ Mein Kampf

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links