Calling All Texas CHL holders.... - Page 3

Calling All Texas CHL holders....

This is a discussion on Calling All Texas CHL holders.... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm signed up with them. My CHL instructor highly recommended them for a myriad of reasons. It sounded like a good deal. I mean, if ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Calling All Texas CHL holders....

I'm signed up with them. My CHL instructor highly recommended them for a myriad of reasons. It sounded like a good deal. I mean, if you shoot somebody in self-defense, regardless of whether you actually kill them or not, YOU WILL BE SUED. Either by the assailant for "loss of income" which happens all the time, or by the family of the deceased for wrongful death/negligence/etc.

I don't think they are trying to sell you a "not-guilty" verdict. What they are selling you is that they will cover all of your legal fees in both criminal and civil courts, and even cover you if there is a retrial.....so basically they're protecting your bank account, credibility, and livelihood. It's no guarantee, by any means. Nothing is guaranteed. And while I'm sure most of us, or at least I'd hope, understand the law well enough to know when we are justified to use deadly force, people have and will go broke just paying lawyers to keep the families of the victims off their backs. There are slimy lawyers out there that seek out families of invidividuals who have been killed by CC'ers and convince them to sue, knowing full well that they probably won't win the case. But that's none of their concern. It's just a quick buck.

So is Texas Law Shield worth it? I can't really say. But I'm of the mindset that it's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

In Texas, there is a provision that would have allowed your friend to shoot and kill the attacking dogs.
    Always Carry, Never Tell
    S&W Shield 9mm
    Ruger LCP .380
    NRA Member
    Certified NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by CigarStix View Post
    In Texas, there is a provision that would have allowed your friend to shoot and kill the attacking dogs.
    That's correct. His Penal Code violation was discharging a weapon within 1,000 feet of a residence.
    If you would enslave a people, first you must disarm them.

~ Adolf Hitler
    ~ Mein Kampf

Quote Originally Posted by XD40inTX View Post
    That's correct. His Penal Code violation was discharging a weapon within 1,000 feet of a residence.
    Just curious, what if you are walikng down the neighbor sidewalk, BG confronts you, you go bang on him, are you still in violaion of discharging a weapon within 1,000 feet of a residence?
    The wise man looks for ways to minimize mistakes, a fool boasts it will never happened to him.

"The problem is not the availability of guns, it is the availability of morons."
    - Antonio Meloni

Quote Originally Posted by 68blackbird View Post
    Just curious, what if you are walikng down the neighbor sidewalk, BG confronts you, you go bang on him, are you still in violaion of discharging a weapon within 1,000 feet of a residence?
    My question also. Wouldn't defending your life trump the 1,000 ft law?
    Always Carry, Never Tell
    S&W Shield 9mm
    Ruger LCP .380
    NRA Member
    Certified NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by XD40inTX View Post
    I know you asked for first-person testimonials, and thankfully I can't give you one. But a friend of mine, also a CHL holder, had occasion about a year ago to discharge his weapon with 1,000 feet of a residence. He had to kill two pit bulls that attacked him and his wife. Knowing he had committed a violation of the Texas Penal Code, he called Texas Law Shield. Then he called the Sheriff's Dept.

The attorney arrived before the deputy did. The deputy's first inclination was to confiscate my friend's gun, take him to jail, and let a judge sort it out the next day. But after talking with the attorney the deputy sent my friend home with his gun and wrote the owner of the dogs a citation for letting them run loose.

I've had car insurance for about fifty years and never needed it. I've had Texas Law Shield for about five years and never needed it, either. But I'm not going to cancel either one.
    This is probably the closest thing I've heard to a first person testimonial. Kind of surprised the lawyer beat the deputy there though. What town did this incident occur in, and what month and year did this take place if you don't mind me asking?

Quote Originally Posted by CigarStix View Post
    But as the LEO's like to say, You might beat the rap, but you won't beat the ride.

Sounds like he was able to beat the ride this time.

As a TLS Member, I just received an email promoting an upcoming TLS Seminar March 7th in Kerville, TX. The President of TLS is one of the speakers:

Please see below for a schedule of events and registration. Questions? Please contact David Donchecz at (877) 448-6839 or davidd@texaslawshield.com
    SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
    We have a schedule of topics that always include time for questions and answers from the lawyers and other guest presenters.

6:30p.m. - 6:45p.m.:
    Registration & Welcoming Remarks
    Darren Rice, Texas Law Shield, LLP

6:45p.m. - 7:15p.m.:
    It Can Happen To You. Legal War Stories From The Streets To The Courts.
    Edwin Walker, President, Texas Law Shield, LLP

7:15p.m. - 7:30p.m.:
    Question and Answer with Edwin Walker

7:30p.m. - 8:00p.m.:
    Tips On Home, Office And Vehicle Defense, And Tactical Training
    Damon Jackson, Tactical Shooting Instructor

8:00p.m. - 8:15p.m.:
    Question and Answer with Damon Jackson

8:15p.m. - 8:30p.m.: Break
    8:30pm - 9:00p.m.:
    How A Person Should Deal With A Difficult Police Officer

9:00p.m. - 9:15p.m.:
    Question and Answer

9:15p.m. - 9:45p.m.:
    Stand Your Ground - What It Means And When Can I Legally Shoot?
    Michele Byington, Attorney, Texas Law Shield, LLP

9:45p.m. - 10:00p.m.:
    Question and Answer with Michele Byington

10:00p.m.: Adjourn
    Always Carry, Never Tell
    S&W Shield 9mm
    Ruger LCP .380
    NRA Member
    Certified NRA Instructor

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links