Calling All Texas CHL holders....

This is a discussion on Calling All Texas CHL holders.... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; , I have been on a crusade to find any credible information about Texas Law Shield. Most anyone who has taken their CHL class in ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Calling All Texas CHL holders....

, I have been on a crusade to find any credible information about Texas Law Shield. Most anyone who has taken their CHL class in the past year or so will probably know what I am speaking of. For the past 6 weeks, I have been searching for 1, just 1 person who can confirm they have used this firm in any type of case. I have scoured the net, gone thru many forums to no avail. I sent TLS 2 emails about a week apart with no reply, so I called them today, here is thre jest of the converstaion, talked to John, who told me he is not a lawyer, that he is actually in Dallas(TLS office is in Houston), he is basically a salesman. I told him that I had been thru the CHL calls, listened to th TLS spokesman during class, but had not signed up because 1, I knew it would a month or 2 before I got my CHL, 2, I wanted to research their firm before I commited. I explained to John about my research, and that I did not find any confirmed cases handled by TLS and John told me this, they have been in business since 2005(their website states they started in 2009), they have 31,000 clients, and have handled 135 cases in that time, with only 2 that he knew of that were still open. After exchanging dialog, for about 10 minutes, I heard a cell phone ring, some funky ring tone, John says, I have another call, I have to go, and that pretty much ended the conversation. All during this call, I was not swayed to either sign up or not, but the way the call ended put a really bad taste in my mouth, kinda hard to explain here. I will make a trip up to Houston soon to see if I may speak with one of the lawyers in person and ask them some of the questions I have listed. If you are a TLS member or are thinking about signing up with them and have any thing to add or questions for me to add to me list please do so. I hope they are what they say and appear they are, it would bring great comfort to me god forbid I need to use my firearm, Kel
    The wise man looks for ways to minimize mistakes, a fool boasts it will never happened to him.

"The problem is not the availability of guns, it is the availability of morons."
    - Antonio Meloni

Distinguished Member
    I have not heard of that firm before now. Sounds a little bit hokey to me. Try the Houston BBB.
    I shoot with a pistol and a Canon. We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately. NRA life member.

I have not heard of them either.
    No trees were harmed in the construction of this post. However a large number of electrons were indiscriminately aroused.

They are at most gun shows. I would like to find something like them, nationally as I travel for business and this would be beneficial. Keep us updated.

Check out Texas CHL Forum
    TexasCHLforum.com ? Index page
    I never let schooling interfere with my education. Mark Twain

IANAL, but the Texas Castle Doctrine includes defense against civil liability. So if it's ruled justifiable or no-billed, then you have nothing to worry about in civil court.

If there is uncertainty about the nature of the incident and your (hypothetical) case goes to criminal court, I would advise you scrape every bit of cash you can get your hands on and get a really good lawyer. I would not wait on or rely on some insurance scheme, especially since you can't even get in touch with them when you are not in jail!

Quote Originally Posted by Maxwell47 View Post
    Check out Texas CHL Forum
    TexasCHLforum.com ? Index page
    I am in that forum, check it daily, as I do here. I have read all the threads on that site pertaining to TLS. The owner of the Texas CHL site has disallowed any more threads about that subject. He is a lawyer and prefers not to have that discussed there.
    The wise man looks for ways to minimize mistakes, a fool boasts it will never happened to him.

"The problem is not the availability of guns, it is the availability of morons."
    - Antonio Meloni

I have looked at their info. Haven't been swayed to purchase it, but it does look like a decent program if it is what they advertise it to be. From what I remember, TLS does cover the grand jury portion of your defense.

To play devils advocate, if the phone call on the cell phone that interupted your call, was a call because of a need for the service, that would certainly be more pressing than to finish selling you on the plan. Just a thought.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 68blackbird View Post
    I am in that forum, check it daily, as I do here. I have read all the threads on that site pertaining to TLS. The owner of the Texas's CHL site has disallowed any more threads about thoat subject. He is a lawyer and prefers not to have that discussed there.
    His name is charles cotton an he is an isufferable turd when it comes to open carry for Texans. I am a former member of that forum!

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    I have looked at their info. Haven't been swayed to purchase it, but it does look like a decent program if it is what they advertise it to be. From what I remember, TLS does cover the grand jury portion of your defense.

To play devils advocate, if the phone call on the cell phone that interupted your call, was a call because of a need for the service, that would certainly be more pressing than to finish selling you on the plan. Just a thought.
    The number I called was the non-emergency number. When you sign up with them, they give you a card with a different number that is said to be directly to a lawyer. The guy I talked to today was a sales rep.

- Antonio Meloni

I've not needed their services - thank goodness - but I have been a member for a couple of years. They seem to be legit. I've gotten good information from them and they have put on a couple of seminars in Dallas and San Antonio. Their emergency number that is given to members to call if you are involved in a shooting is guaranteed to be answered by an attorney 24/7. It is basically pre-paid legal that covers all attorney fees for both criminal and civil litigation. They have affiliated attorneys around the state and now has extended coverage to several other states.

IMHO they try to sell you something you don't need ,and to be honest Charles Cotton probably doesn't want it discussed because they are like snake oil salesmen.In most cases of these types of cases if you are arrested after a shooting they will represent you as far as the arraignment or Grand Jury,if you are indited then that's where the limits end and it's up to you to get a trial attorney.
    Under Texas SD and Castle Doctrine the laws are very specific and if you have a legitimate SD case the Grand Jury isn't going to indite you.
    I haven't heard of more than a handful of CHL holders being involved in SD shootings in the last 6 years and not even close to 135 so IOW they imply that they would have represented more or less any CHL shooting and I seriously doubt there have even been close to that many.
    Tell them to send documents to prove they handled 135 chl SD shootings by name etc so you can look up the cases and I will bet they can't do it.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by rwponline View Post
    IANAL, but the Texas Castle Doctrine includes defense against civil liability. So if it's ruled justifiable or no-billed, then you have nothing to worry about in civil court.

If there is uncertainty about the nature of the incident and your (hypothetical) case goes to criminal court, I would advise you scrape every bit of cash you can get your hands on and get a really good lawyer. I would not wait on or rely on some insurance scheme, especially since you can't even get in touch with them when you are not in jail!
    Agreed.

His name is charles cotton an he is an isufferable turd when it comes to open carry for Texans. I am a former member of that forum
    Sorry to hear that, I have found his site the most informative for me during the process of getting my CHL.

They have affiliated attorneys around the state and now has extended coverage to several other states.

The guy I talked to today told me the lawyers were all in Houston. He also said they are working on retaining one for Fort Worth.

Tell them to send documents to prove they handled 135 chl SD shootings by name etc so you can look up the cases and I will bet they can't do it.
    That got my attention as well, this is on my list to ask when/if I get to meet with them.

- Antonio Meloni

Quote Originally Posted by rwponline View Post

Quote Originally Posted by R040607 View Post
    Agreed.
    But some of us are not always in Texas, which I would like to see a national program of this type. I currently just use my PrePaid legal.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links