Ccw vs wife - Page 4

Ccw vs wife

This is a discussion on Ccw vs wife within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by smolck My wife told me when I bought my first gun that she was 100% against it and was not happy. I ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: Ccw vs wife

Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    My wife told me when I bought my first gun that she was 100% against it and was not happy. I just went about my business as normal. Soon, she began to talk about it with me. Then, she got her CCW. Now when I go out of town or leave she always asks "where is your gun in case I need it". Just go slow, she'll come around. And if she doesn't, I am of the opinion what she doesn't know what hurt her. Concealed means concealed, even from the wife.
    Love your Avater Pic!
    Always Carry, Never Tell
    S&W Shield 9mm
    Ruger LCP .380
    NRA Member
    Certified NRA Instructor

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    Time for a new wife!
    lowercase likes this.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Falia Freedom Channel - YouTube here is another woman's point of view.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Time to upgrade to Wife version 2.0.
    oldnfat likes this.

Been there and done that. Its a slippery slope for sure. I'd say table your discussions until after the baby comes along. Once he/she arrives, her motherly instincts may kick in and she may be more in a protective mode where the idea of a gun in the house may seem more logical. Explain how a gun safe and proper training for both of you will possibly put the odds in your favor in a situation. Without scaring her to death, explain the cold facts of reality to her. Have her take a firearms safety course with you. Then you both take a class in something that interests her, like a cooking for couples class. I know, painful but do whatever you need to do. Then buy her a small "lady" gun so she feels like part of the process. Seeing the big 45 may be too much for her to deal with. Dont be one of the guys bullied into not having a gun by their spouse then needing it one night as your door gets kicked in at 3am.
    (4) Springfield Armory XD-40 Sub Compact
    (1) Ruger LC9
    NRA Member

"Molon labe" "From my cold dead hands"

[QUOTE=Glock36carry;2550625]I'm just a dumb Yankee who was smart enough to marry a southern gal. Guns are just no big thing to her.

You cannot beat southern women.

Firearms are a way of life in the south. When your wife mentioned divorce over carrying a concealed weapon there are more problems with the marriage than a firearm. Do not let her to take away your manhood, that is happening way too often in our American society today. Marriage is a two way street but you do have the right to protect yourself and your family.

I'm not going to touch this one with a ten-foot pole! I know my wife was none too happy when she learned a .357 SIG round took part of my upper leg off. And she didn't like guns before that!
    BigRay

Springfield TRP Armory Kote, Springfield Trophy Match, Sig Sauer P220R SAO, Glock 35 with Heinie Slant Pro sights, Springfield Armory XDs 45, S&W Model 29 Mountain Gun, PTR-91F in 7.62mm NATO, Springfield M1A1, Sig 556 Patrol Rifle and Benelli M2 with 10-round magazine

I got me a goodun. She has no problem with all my firearms. Says it makes her feel safer. She is from Illinois. Imagine that.
    ep1953 likes this.

This whole thing just pisses me off! I can't believe she's making you choose between your gun or your family.....typical female bull*$%@. I just hate women sometimes.
    I don't always carry two concealed S&W 500's.........JUST KIDDING!

Distinguished Member
    Can you say "child support" ? Jump now before it's too late. You have my sympathies.
    lowercase likes this.
    I shoot with a pistol and a Canon. We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately. NRA life member.

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    She threatens divorce? Over this? If you carry around the child? You might be able to work this out,all I see,from my vast experience with divorce,marriage,girlfriends,etc.,are red flags. You seem like a decent man from your post,I wish you the best.
    Pain is the best teacher,but nobody wants to go to his class.

When the past smothers the present, there is only desperation. When the future absorbs the present, life stands still. In either case a decision must be made because you only live now and you are only what you are now.

One option is to call her bluff on the divorce thing and you file for divorce against her for alienation of affection, and an untreated mental disorder, take full custody of the new baby, and make her pay child support. (I'm only 1/2 kidding when I say that. The other 1/2 is very serious).

At some point, if she wants to continue to try and have a family with you, she's going to have to sit down like a grown up and discuss her irrational fear like a grown up. We all know it doesn't take any mental maturity to make a baby, but it does take a certain level of maturity to create a family and to be a responsible parent.

How you decide to have the discussion is a touchy situation. One good way would be to enroll her in a firearms safety class to start with. In that class she will be properly educated on firearms and how to shoot.

If she absolutely refuses to participate in something as prudent, and responsible and really pretty benign as that, then not only is she harboring an completely irrational fear of guns, but she is also trying to exert control over your life by being a control freak. As you stated she has not had any personal bad or tragic experience in her life regarding guns which could reasonably be expected to create an irrational fear. So at this point, it at least appears to be a control issue she wants to have over your life.

None of those are normal healthy psychiatric behavior. Now if you don't mind being led around by your nose for the rest of your life, you have no worries. She'll be more than happy to control your life forever.

However, it will not be a satisfying, nor will it be a healthy relationship.

Again, the first step is to have a rational discussion with her. If she refuses, you have problems. After that, she is going to have to be exposed to guns in order to learn the truth. And again, the best way is to let a professional instructor handle that aspect of her education.

Good luck.
    mr.stuart and Spirit51 like this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    At some point, if she wants to continue to try and have a family with you, she's going to have to sit down like a grown up and discuss her irrational fear like a grown up. We all know it doesn't take any mental maturity to make a baby, but it does take a certain level of maturity to create a family and to be a responsible parent.

How you decide to have the discussion is a touchy situation. One good way would be to enroll her in a firearms safety class to start with. In that class she will be properly educated on firearms and how to shoot.
    Bark'n has an excellent suggestion here. If she were irrationally afraid of drowning, wouldn't it still be a good idea for her safety and that of her babies to learn how to swim?
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

This may sound corny but I would suggest you share your feelings. I explained that just as she has instincts that drive her to nest and nurture I have instincts to protect. I had never even considered concealed carry until we had little ones. Something about being a dad wakes up the inner being that says "These people are my family and you will not hurt them." It's not wrong, it's just the way we are wired.

If my wife threatened me with divorce over ANYTHING, she'd be gone.

I don't put up with that BS.

BTW, if you want to keep her, treat her actions as a big, childish bluff and do exactly as you wish.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links