Question of the day. . .

This is a discussion on Question of the day. . . within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was walking through the mall with my family and as I was walking out to go to my car I noticed a group of ...

Thread: Question of the day. . .

Question of the day. . .

I was walking through the mall with my family and as I was walking out to go to my car I noticed a group of guys looking kinda mean and eyeing us all the way to the car. My wife was a couple steps from me and I was carrying my 9 month old daughter in my weak hand. (She is my world!)
    The question that I have is if something was to happen where I have to pull and fire how should I do it. My daughter is not old enough to cover her own ears and I don't want to fire right next to her fearing that something might happen to her hearing.

It has been bothering me for about a week or so. I just wanted to know if you guys had any ideas beside tell my wife to hold my daughter or push her in a stroller I would love to hear it becasue I don't know what to do.
    “Do you have any idea how hard it would be to live with yourself if your loved ones were attacked and killed, and you had to stand there helplessly because you were unprepared for that day?”

Ricardo

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    sound suppressor?

Hearing damage is certainly a danger to kids, if they're close to a shooter and have no protection. But there's really not much that I can see that would solve the problem. I guess if you're in a situation that forces you to fire, it comes down to maybe having a deaf kid or maybe having a dead or orphaned kid. Crappy situation, either way, but I know which I would choose.

Senior Moderator
    If it comes down to it, you'll have to play the cards you are dealt. If she is in your arms when you are forced to respond to a deadly threat, do what you have to do.

I would think the instinctual tendency is going to be to turn the side holding her away from the threat, so she would be farther from the gun than you are.

The hard, ugly truth if that if the balloon goes up while you are carrying her, your choice might be between risking her hearing and risking her life.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    If the situation is so bad that you have to shoot, your daughter's hearing is irrelevant. In that situation, if you DON'T shoot, she will likely be dead... or kidnapped, and killed later. Also, there is the rest of the family to think about: if the situation requires that you shoot, and you fail to do so, what will happen to your wife?

Lastly, having said all that, most civilian confrontation end with 2-3 rounds being fired. Unless the weapon is directly next to her head permanent damage to your daughter's hearing is unlikely.

Quote Originally Posted by elrey718 View Post
    My daughter is not old enough to cover her own ears and I don't want to fire right next to her fearing that something might happen to her hearing.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

I had a very similar situation while walking in town at night with the family. I was also holding my 11month old daughter. I was thinking the same things as you an dI came to the conclusion that I would have to keep holding her until I could get control and hand her to my wife.

Tough question. I would say that once you observed these guys and perceived possible danger, hand your daughter off to your wife before you get anywhere near the BGs.

For future reference make sure that you and your wife have a plan to get her and your daughter to safety while you may have to engage BGs.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

It may sound uncaring but if you have to save your, your childs or your wifes life, if you have to drop the child from a semi crouched position onto to her butt. Then step in front of your daugther (towards the BGs) and do your work.. That way most of the blast will be directed away and above her. If drawing and firing is warranted, her falling from 18-24" onto her butt will be your and her smallest problem.. I have two childern also, and would die defending them or my wife, without a second thought. I know it sounds unexceptable, but short of your other options (wife or stroller carry) what else is there?
    Be safe..

I hope these thing will never happens....

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Then step in front of your daugther (towards the BGs) and do your work
    Umm how about move sideways instead , not only are you clearing your family from being downrange of you , but most people have more problem tracking a moving target , rather than one that is still ( advancing appears still )
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Agreed Craig.

Surviving.Situation > *Situation

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by CraigJS View Post
    It may sound uncaring but if you have to save your, your childs or your wifes life, if you have to drop the child from a semi crouched position onto to her butt.
    Just what I was thinking while reading the OP.

If you see it coming or suspect something's going to happen, and there's time, maybe hand off to the wife.

NY27 said:
    For future reference make sure that you and your wife have a plan to get her and your daughter to safety while you may have to engage BGs.
    Yessiree, we got us a winner...

Have a plan...whatever it is that works for you and wife, know ahead of time how the two of you will react to a threat, with your child's safety in mind.
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

If you see something going down and have enough time, nonchalantly hand her over to your wife, then go all Dirty Harry on em
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Thanks. . .

Thank you for everyone that replied to my questions. You guys gave me a couple ideas and I will be talking with my wife tonight on what to do. Thanks again.
    “Do you have any idea how hard it would be to live with yourself if your loved ones were attacked and killed, and you had to stand there helplessly because you were unprepared for that day?”

Ricardo

Links