Defensive Carry banner

PA...Bill seeks to expedite violence victims' guns

997 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  thirtyonebravo 
#1 ·
At least they're trying to go in the right direction. The wait time is still WAY TO LONG......

http://www.ydr.com/newsfull/ci_4521679

According to the bill, a person seeking a 90-day emergency license to carry a concealed gun would have to show evidence of imminent danger such as a protection-from-abuse order. The sheriff would immediately ask state police for a background check, which takes 14 days.

If the sheriff determines the person has met all the criteria, including being of sound mind, he would immediately issue a temporary 90-day license to carry a concealed firearm.

Pennsylvania State Police Lt. Brad Lawver of legislative affairs saw a delicate balance between the safety of the applicant who believes she is in imminent danger and the safety of the general public, law enforcement and the victim.

Metcalfe said the bill would empower somebody who is fully eligible to carry a gun to protect herself. The victims aren't limited to abusive domestic relationships; the bill could apply to anybody facing imminent danger, such as a witness testifying against a gangster.

"We have seen where police could not act," Metcalfe said. "People who have had the ability to use a firearm protected themselves, a child or a neighbor and stopped the perpetrator."

"Hundreds of thousands of people use guns to defend themselves," he said. "A lot of people may still not choose the right they have. Those who are confident they could defend themselves and their loved ones could use the right."
The Antis are still against it......(using the same lame arguments):
bill to speed up the process for issuing the victims of domestic violence a license to carry a concealed gun worries Twilah Shipley, the director of ACCESS-York

"Domestic violence situations can be really dangerous and violent and can turn lethal and sometimes fatal," Shipley said. "The guns could possibly be used against the person trying to protect herself or himself and may actually increase the chance of a homicide."

"I am not in favor of it," said Anne Acker, director of Safe Home in Hanover.

"Domestic violence is a very volatile situation. We should focus more on removing guns from the perpetrator than on granting weapons to the victim."

The government should not erect a wall to stop women trying to protect themselves. It's important to empower every individual.
To bad the bill isn't going to make it anytime soon......

#2 ·
All well and good but -
The sheriff would immediately ask state police for a background check, which takes 14 days.
Compare this with a std application for a 5 year CCW - which can be done and dusted in Sheriff's Office (well mine anyways) inside about 30 minutes!!!! The background check is near instant like when buying a gun.

Why they mention 14 days I am not sure and why even any talk of ''emergency licence issue'' when what I have described is I'd have thought the logical way to go.

I must be missing something here (apart from a brain cell or two maybe!).

Oh and the anti stuff
We should focus more on removing guns from the perpetrator
Yeah right - well let's have the proposed method HUH!!! :rolleyes: It ain't depriving us good guys of guns that's gonna do it. :frown:
"Domestic violence situations can be really dangerous and violent and can turn lethal and sometimes fatal,"
Yep - sure can - we know that.
"The guns could possibly be used against the person trying to protect herself or himself and may actually increase the chance of a homicide."
Minimal percentage risk horse puckey!!!
The government should not erect a wall to stop women trying to protect themselves. It's important to empower every individual.
Urghh! What! That within the same quote section almost sounds like it means the right thing - or am I mis-reading? ''Empower every individual" - yes exactly!!!

#3 ·
I second what Chris says on the time frame. I applied on a Friday and got my permit the following Thursday, so waiting 14 days doesn't sound right, unless it's in Phila. where they may drag it out as long as possible.

IIRC there is a maximum time where they have to let you know their decision and I thought it was something short like 3 or 4 weeks, but I may be wrong on that.

#4 ·
I second what Chris says on the time frame. I applied on a Friday and got my permit the following Thursday, so waiting 14 days doesn't sound right, unless it's in Phila. where they may drag it out as long as possible.
mine took that same amount of time, just less than a week, and a friend of mine in Phila got is in 43 days. State law requires issue within 45 days of application (granted you pass the background check of course).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.