I may have shot myself in the foot.

This is a discussion on I may have shot myself in the foot. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; You need to contact an attorney in AR that is a concealed carry expert. It will cost you some money, but you really want to ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: I may have shot myself in the foot.

You need to contact an attorney in AR that is a concealed carry expert. It will cost you some money, but you really want to be able to LEGALLY carry, otherwise it would be more costly than you can imagine.

2. Remove Ads

Since I am already signed up for the concealed carry class this coming Saturday, should I go ahead with the class and contact an attorney only if my application is denied? Or, should I cancel the class and contact an attorney before I take any steps at all toward the permit?

PM sent.

FWIW and IANAL... you will probably be ok.

"Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4
    Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

Quote Originally Posted by jhogan2424 View Post
    I'm still unclear on how to proceed.
    Well, it couldn't be any worst than the situation you're in now: not having a CHL.

Apply, and add the appropriate explanation that your ex-spouse wasn't family at the time you made the unfortunate remark. If you were arrested/convicted for the thing, it's hard to say it never happened. Simplest way would be to apply and see what it gets you. Saves you the legal fees of asking a presumed expert on the matter.

For example:

#13. Have you been convicted of a crime(s) that involves physical contact or threat of physical contact with a family member?

Explanation: 10yrs ago, I had an ex-spouse with whom I was not living at the time (ie, not a family member). I made an off-the-cuff remark to her that got me in some legal trouble, resulting in a misdemeanor (?) conviction on AR PC XX.YY for making a threat (case # XYZ).

At worst, you get denied your CHL.
    Hoganbeg and Hopyard like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Sounds like you have been able to purchase guns, you passed the background check for that. Maybe you're okay.

Yes Sir I had not purchased a firearm in several years until the crime rate in my small town went through the roof recently. Last month I purchased a Home Defense shotgun and last week I purchased a 9mm handgun with intentions of getting my concealed permit so I could carry when it in my truck and when I drive to St. Louis for business every couple of weeks. I honestly get very nervous when driving alone in St. Louis and would feel much better if was was able to carry.

Took my concealed carry class yesterday morning. This instructor said I shouldn't have a problem with the issue I had posted above. I jusd have to go Tuesday and get my fingerprints taken at the Sheriff's office and mail my aplication packet to the state. I have to say that I was a little dissapointed but may have been expecting too much from the class. I'd say 95 percent of the class covered gun SAFETY and not much on laws and regulations. There were almost no "what if" scenarios brought up during the 5 hours we were there. I am not going to name any instructor but have asked around and it seems this particular class is known to focus on the safety aspect. I am considering setting through another class with a different instructor to maybe get another view on concealed carry.

Administrator
    Just remember that you need to answer all of those questions honestly because fibbing on an app is a serious crime in and of itself.
    Sounds like you are an honest guy otherwise back when you were standing in front of that judge you would have just remarked..."I never said that."
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I'd say 95 percent of the class covered gun SAFETY and not much on laws and regulations.
    My experience here in KY was exactly the opposite. The overwhelming majority of the curriculum involved the legal aspects and how to make good decisions carrying in KY. In fact, the instructor made it clear this was not a safety course.

Hopefully you'll get your license and find another course to get the info you're looking for. In the meantime, I think you're on the right track. You need to know the legal stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    I'd give you a 50/50 shot.

You could have a criminal background check done on yourself to see what pops up.

I don't really think there is an issue at this point. In the past few days I have talked to several class instructors, the Arkansas State Police, and some very informative members from this sight. All seemed to think that the issue I thought could give me a problem will probably not. If for some reason my application is denied, I have an attorney lined up that specializes in Arkansas gun laws and he said he would be glad to help me any way he can. He did not think that I would have a problem but if they do deny my application he said that he could most likely get a judge to exponge that case as it was so long ago and there was no physical violence. Hopefully I will just get my permit in the mail and that will be the end of that.

Quote Originally Posted by jpohl402 View Post
    What does "..." symbolize?

Just an update... My status on the Arkansas State Police website has changed from "Pending background check" to "License issued." It looks as if everything worked out just fine.
    BugDude, kerberos and Hopyard like this.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by jhogan2424 View Post
    Just an update... My status on the Arkansas State Police website has changed from "Pending background check" to "License issued." It looks as if everything worked out just fine.
    Good. As a side note, please be more responsible than keeping your pistol in your truck.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links