Mag capacity limits and "grandfathered" mags, can I still carry "hi-caps"?

This is a discussion on Mag capacity limits and "grandfathered" mags, can I still carry "hi-caps"? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Do New york cops still carry 18 shot glocks?...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Mag capacity limits and "grandfathered" mags, can I still carry "hi-caps"?

Do New york cops still carry 18 shot glocks?

2. Remove Ads

And once again, the laws only affect law abiding citizens. Criminals don't care about the laws. If they did they wouldn't be criminals. Idiots
    “Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by MACC12 View Post
    And once again, the laws only affect law abiding citizens. Criminals don't care about the laws. If they did they wouldn't be criminals. Idiots
    Exactly. My new assembly representative in the New York legislature made this his first statement on the floor during the debate yesterday: "Those New Yorkers who will be most affected by this legislation do not commit crimes, and those New Yorkers who commit crimes will not be affected by this legislation. Therefore, I will vote NO." -- Bill Nojay (R), District 133 NY Assembly
    Last edited by CarlInNY; January 16th, 2013 at 10:08 PM.
    ccman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by CarlInNY View Post
    Exactly. My new assembly representative in the New York legislature made this his first statement on the floor during the debate yesterday: Those New Yorkers who will be most affected by this legislation do not commit crimes, and those New Yorkers who commit crimes will not be affected by this legislation. Therefore, I will vote NO." -- Bill Nojay (R), District 133 NY Assembly
    He's the representative from the area I grew up in. Good job sir!
    Gunowner99 - NRA Life Member

Senior Member Array Gary Slider's Avatar
    400.00 is the new NY Law.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network

Quote Originally Posted by DMan View Post
    Not a perfect solution but it can help "prove" your you owned them before the ban.

Mark the magazines with a unique mark, maybe a date/your initial etc. Take a picture of them making sure the mark is clearly visible. Make at minimum 2 copies. Place each set or copy of the pictures into a sealed envelope and then mail them to yourself. Make sure the seal is very well sealed and never broken. When it comes back in the mail DO NOT OPEN IT, but place one in a safety deposit box, the other with a lawyer, or someone out of state.

The post office is a federal agency and puts a date on the canceled postage. In most cases the courts recognize that this is valid way to verify date. All contents in the sealed envelope is considered dated by the postal service. (Hint, place postage on the BACK side of the envelope in such a way that the covers the seal of the envelope).

The courts (not NY courts) recognized this for me in a divorce from my 1st wife. I documented a lot of things many things to refute claims placed against me by her. I don't wish get into detail on my specific situation, but needless to say, when the COURT opened the letters and saw the dates, no argument could be made against when the documents were created.
    No way....it's the BURDEN of the STATE to prove when you purchased the mags. It's a bad/poorly worded law written hastily when emotions were high and politicians need to "do something" trumped logic and clear thinking.

Don't help the state with this bad law.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Frankly, I will continue to use and carry my 16 round mags including the one I just purchased today...and the feds can kiss my ass!

There will be hell to pay this time,in 94 there wasn't the internet that we have today that has galvanized the firearms community like no other time,It's gonna be extremely hard if not impossible to disarm gun owners that believe in the second amendment,especially in States that are passing laws to stop any Federal Infringement
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by theskunk View Post
    Do New york cops still carry 18 shot glocks?
    Yeah, but they need that many plus a reload just to hit what they are shooting at.
    SIGguy229 likes this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

If they do pass a ban and they do grandfather in what you already have. the beginning date of the ban would stop sale of any new purchases. wouldn't that in itself be proof you had yours before. since you cannot buy them after that first day of the ban.

Lawyer Jim Tresmond, Attorney in Buffalo, New York. Attorney phone is (716) 202-4301, successfully represented clients in the past on Second Amendment issues in NYS Supreme Court. This case is pro-bono for all the gun owners of New York.

According to Mr. Tresmond the new ban is illegal as it is an ex-facto law taking away previously owned property and he intends to file this action in Federal Court. We are looking for as many as possible to add to CLASS ACTION CASE:

SEND Your Name and EMAIL ADDRESS, Physical Address and phone number to: psacco1twcny.rr.com

It is not over - it's just began
    WonderBra likes this.

That's a man of the people right there!
    Gunowner99 - NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jdp751 View Post
    If they do pass a band and they do grandfather in what you already have. the beginning date of the band would stop sale of any new purchases. wouldn't that in itself be proof you had yours before. since you cannot buy them after that first day of the band
    Exactly! And if you grandfather in the large capacity mags, what's the point of trying to ban them. Just because you make them difficult to buy new, with all the ones out there that the "grandfathered" in, they're still out there and can be purchased used so your new ban does absolutely nothing...
    I don't want to be a hero, but I'm sure not going to be a victim.

Hydrogen and human stupidty are the two most common elements on earth, not necessarily in that order. -- Albert Einstein

One thing that I noticed while reading through the law, there is NO exception for law enforcement personnel...makes me wonder if this "we got to pass it to really know what's in it" might actually bite them in their collective fourth points of contact.
    Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But, I repeat myself. ...Mark Twain: Manuscript note, c.1882.
    NRA Life Member & JPFO Member.
    Sig & CZ-aholic, a Ruger SP101 3" & Wiley Clapp GP100

Distinguished Member Array dben002's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JayHawker45 View Post
    One thing that I noticed while reading through the law, there is NO exception for law enforcement personnel...makes me wonder if this "we got to pass it to really know what's in it" might actually bite them in their collective fourth points of contact.
    I am quite sure that NY's Finest will not have to abide by this new law....Articles of exception are probably being drafted as I type....NY is not going to refit the entire state with new weapons....trust me on that.....
    There are two types of people who carry concealed weapons...Responsible ones and Irresponsible ones...which are you...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links