Mag capacity limits and "grandfathered" mags, can I still carry "hi-caps"?

This is a discussion on Mag capacity limits and "grandfathered" mags, can I still carry "hi-caps"? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Lets say the magazine capacity limit comes into law and mags are limited to 10 rounds. Can I still carry my 15-rounders for my Glock ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Mag capacity limits and "grandfathered" mags, can I still carry "hi-caps"?

Mag capacity limits and "grandfathered" mags, can I still carry "hi-caps"?

Lets say the magazine capacity limit comes into law and mags are limited to 10 rounds. Can I still carry my 15-rounders for my Glock 19? After all, I already have them and they are "grandfathered" in.

I live in Michigan, if that matters.

2. Remove Ads

Depends on how the bill were to be worded.

If it was like the recently passed legislation in New York, then the answer is no. In New York residents have one year to turn in, or sell out of state their "high capacity" mags.
    Living a life free from fear, means being able to protect it at all times.
    Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
    NRA

VIP Member
    As TheConcealer said, until the text of the proposed bill is available, no one knows.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Senior Member Array Gary Slider's Avatar
    The NY Law allows those with 10 Rd mags to keep them if they purchased them before the law went into effect. They can only buy 7 rd mags now. But they can only load 7 Rds in those 10 rds mags. The problem I see is how many of us can prove when we bought our mags? Do you have the purchase receipt? I don't for any of mine. So those in NY who can't prove when they bought those 10 rds mags could still get in trouble as the government will consider you guilty until they prove themselves innocent. IMO most will have to sell those 10 rd mags out of state also because they can't prove when they bought them. All in all the NY Law is a big piece of excrement !!!!!! It will not save one life but will make innocent gun owners law breakers.

Now if the feds pass a mag ban it will be tough to ban all those higher capacity mags. Not saying they won't do it but if they do and tell us we have no choice but to turn them in there are going to be millions of Good Americans who become instant criminals. Good reason to not put in words on the internet what you own.
    ccman, surefire7 and atctimmy like this.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Slider View Post
    The problem I see is how many of us can prove when we bought our mags?
    Not a perfect solution but it can help "prove" your you owned them before the ban.

Mark the magazines with a unique mark, maybe a date/your initial etc. Take a picture of them making sure the mark is clearly visible. Make at minimum 2 copies. Place each set or copy of the pictures into a sealed envelope and then mail them to yourself. Make sure the seal is very well sealed and never broken. When it comes back in the mail DO NOT OPEN IT, but place one in a safety deposit box, the other with a lawyer, or someone out of state.

The post office is a federal agency and puts a date on the canceled postage. In most cases the courts recognize that this is valid way to verify date. All contents in the sealed envelope is considered dated by the postal service. (Hint, place postage on the BACK side of the envelope in such a way that the covers the seal of the envelope).

The courts (not NY courts) recognized this for me in a divorce from my 1st wife. I documented a lot of things many things to refute claims placed against me by her. I don't wish get into detail on my specific situation, but needless to say, when the COURT opened the letters and saw the dates, no argument could be made against when the documents were created.
    NewtownSam likes this.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

I think we would have to see what the verbage is beforr we know if anything is still legal to posses and use
    BradL likes this.

DMan, Good Idea. When I went to LFI now called MAG 40 and MAG 80 after we typed up our notes we mailed them to ourselves Certified and Registered mail. That way the PO stamps all over it the date etc. Never to be opened until you need it like involved in a shooting. Mine is in my Safety Deposit Box. Been there 18 years now. But the law is already passed. If they would have had a few days notice they could have done just what you stated and that would have worked. It is still not to late but do it as quick as possible and it would be a great defense.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

New Law as pertaining to Mags.

23. "Large capacity ammunition feeding device" means a magazine, belt, drum, feed strip, or similar device, that
    (A) Has a capacity of, or that can be readily restored or converted to accept, more
    than ten rounds of ammunition, OR
    (B) Contains more than seven rounds of ammunition, or
    (C) Is obtained after the effective date of the chapter of the Laws of two thousand thirteen which amended this subdivision and has a Capacity of, or that can be readily restored or converted to accept, More than seven rounds of ammunition; provided, however, that such term Does not include an attached tubular device designed to accept, and Capable of operating only with, .22 caliber rimfire ammunition or a Feeding device that is a curio or relic.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

DMan, Good Idea. When I went to LFI now called MAG 40 and MAG 80 after we typed up our notes we mailed them to ourselves Certified and Registered mail. That way the PO stamps all over it the date etc. Never to be opened until you need it like involved in a shooting. Mine is in my Safety Deposit Box. Been there 18 years now. But the law is already passed. If they would have had a few days notice they could have done just what you stated and that would have worked. It is still not to late but do it as quick as possible and it would be a great defense.
    Your right, I didn't realize the law took effect immediately.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    I have my firearms and I have my magazines and I will use all of it to defend myself if I presume imminent danger and no one is going to change that.
    TheConcealer likes this.

Feds won't get a mag ban through congress and "the dear leader" can't override that with an EO.
    jrclen likes this.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

Thank god I don't live in NY, but my response would be that I don't carry bc I expect to have problems with law abiding citizens, and I sure don't expect the crazed maniac who's bent on killing me and everyone around me to be carrying only 7 rounds.

One of Feinstien's versions is..... that 1) you have to turn them in or become a criminal, 2) cannot own a gun which will accept a hi-capacity mag either (except AR's) .... and that includes shotguns, rifles, or handguns. Last I knew , I think they changed that again.....
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

New Law as pertaining to Mags.

23. "Large capacity ammunition feeding device" means a magazine, belt, drum, feed strip, or similar device, that
    (A) Has a capacity of, or that can be readily restored or converted to accept, more
    than ten rounds of ammunition, OR
    (B) Contains more than seven rounds of ammunition, or
    (C) Is obtained after the effective date of the chapter of the Laws of two thousand thirteen which amended this subdivision and has a Capacity of, or that can be readily restored or converted to accept, More than seven rounds of ammunition; provided, however, that such term Does not include an attached tubular device designed to accept, and Capable of operating only with, .22 caliber rimfire ammunition or a Feeding device that is a curio or relic.
    For the benefit of my simpleton mind, we are talking NY here, right? Any "federal law" still has to be passed by congress, correct? And if so, it would depend on the wording of that if we can keep as grandfathered or not?
    Gunowner99 - NRA Life Member

RKM
    I was thinking the same thing and actually considered buying a few CA legal Glock 10 round G19 (single stack) mags.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links