To Conceal or Not to Conceal

This is a discussion on To Conceal or Not to Conceal within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey guys. Got a small dilemma on my hands. I will be driving to Atlanta, GA tomorrow morning and I wanted to travel with my ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Mike1956
  • 1 Post By Big_Blue
  • 3 Post By Big_Blue

Thread: To Conceal or Not to Conceal

Hey guys. Got a small dilemma on my hands. I will be driving to Atlanta, GA tomorrow morning and I wanted to travel with my Beretta M9 for obvious reasons. But as some of you may know, there is no reciprocity agreement between VA (where I'm from) and GA for CHP holders. So I'm wondering and would like your input: Should I go ahead and travel with it and just leave it in my vehicle or just leave it at home and carry some other form of protection like a knife or something??

I know some of you may think I'm crazy for wanting to conceal it in my vehicle but I've never been to GA and I don't know what it's like down there. Please let me know what you guys think!

-Chop

VIP Member
    I wouldn't travel without it. Do what you have to do when you are in the state to comply with GA laws. Are you good for the other states you'll drive through or will you need to adhere to federal laws of transport?
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

VIP Member
    A New Hampshire non-resident permit, obtainable by mail with a very quick turnaround time will eliminate this dilemma next time. Pricey, but simple.
    Black Knight likes this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

I found the below at the FAQ page of georgiacarry.org

I Do Not Have a Firearms License. What Can I Do?
    Q: I don’t have a Georgia Weapons License. Can I carry in my car?
    A: Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun may have or carry on his or her person a weapon or long gun on his or her property or inside his or her home, motor vehicle, or place of business without a valid weapons carry license. In addition, such person may carry a long gun, which must be carried openly if loaded. Moreover, such person may carry in his or her own motor vehicle. Finally, if such person is eligible for a Georgia Weapons License, he or she may carry in any private passenger motor vehicle.

However I am not a lawyer so do whatever you do at your own risk.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

aus71383 likes this.

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar

Re: To Conceal or Not to Conceal

What does this have to do with concealed or not, or carry for that matter?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    What does this have to do with concealed or not, or carry for that matter?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2
    Concealed carry via motor vehicle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

If it's a choice between no carry or open carry - it would depend on where in Atlanta I was going, for how long, why...etc...

It's a personal choice. Check out handgunlaw.us for lots of good info and links to state laws.

Austin

As others said, you may carry in your vehicle. It does not have to be concealed. Welcome to GeorgiaPacking.org This web page has Georgia's gun laws in plain english making it easy to understand. Do not leave your pistol at home.

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    You are a big boy now. If you are going to follow the advice of a forum, particularly when one of your options is illegal, you are not very smart. Personally, you have a responsibility that has been given to you by your state to carry a handgun; don't want to follow it "just because", and get arrested for same, face the consequences, which should also include, as far as I am concerned, confiscation or at least a lengthy process, and revocation of the CCWP in VA.

You "don't know what it's like down there"? You think you are going to a third world country? Geez! Grow a pair! Bad things CAN happen anywhere, anytime. But don't stress out over it. I'd be more worried about the drive down I85 than whether I should have my gun in GA!!!

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    I agree with Mike1956 try to get the New Hampshire permit. I got mine just before the price went up and am good to go from Virginia to Florida in addition to other states. It was quite easy. All I had to do was send a copy of my Virginia Permit, the application, and a check. I also sent a few extra documents to assist in the process but they were not needed.

Last time I checked, it was $100.00. Not that long ago it was $30.00. From the paperwork I printed, you needed to copy both sides of your carry permit, even if only one side has printing on it. As I recall, you didn't need to send a fingerprint card either. Of course, this could have changed.
    "The time is now near at hand which must determine whether Americans are to be freemen or slaves."
    ------------------------------------— George Washington 1776
    Gun free zones
    are safe havens-
    FOR CRIMINALS

Well Chop. How was your trip down to Atlanta? Did you survive it?

I live in Atlanta. You came at a good time. I haven't heard any shots for days now, and most of the bodies have been carried off.
    aus71383, DubH00 and Jetfuelrm like this.

Man people make GA sounds like its a war zone...its not...check out GAPacking.org and you will that you can carry it in your car loaded 1 in the pipe and in plain view or glove compartment and you are good. Atlanta is a huge City so you could be anywhere and I doubt you will end up in any questionable area's unless you are looking for those areas intentionally.

Sponsored Links