Worried about getting cpl - Page 2

Worried about getting cpl

This is a discussion on Worried about getting cpl within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Brass63 In my county (Ottawa) I was required to go before a 'gun board'. All the approvals were completed beforehand. The purpose ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Worried about getting cpl

Quote Originally Posted by Brass63 View Post
    In my county (Ottawa) I was required to go before a 'gun board'. All the approvals were completed beforehand.
    The purpose of the board is to have you swear to the truthfulness of your paperwork and reaffirm your answers to several questions.
    And at the end of the very brief process, they hand out the card.
    As to any recent changes to ccw in Michigan...the new law/laws passed last year were more or less...positive.
    Perhaps the lady behind the desk just wasn't up to speed...knowing only that something new was coming.
    I'd wouldn't lose sleep over her passing comment.
    Pretty much what he said, sometimes, depending on the county, you might have to wait for it to be laminated and mailed to you(I had to).

Usually the gun board meets once, the first week, of each month.

There are no new gun laws in Michigan. The Gov. vetoed the proposed change as to how the license is issued. It basically gave everything to the Sheriff with shall issue in effect.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Re: Worried about getting cpl

She got her letter, still have to go in front of gun board(not worried). Letter said at least 60 people instead of the normal 20. She is one of the last to go up, think I might be late for work that day

from my phone

She got it!....... I guess since there were so many applicants, the first guy went up they asked him 12 questions. Then they asked the entire group if they understud every thing asked, everyone said yes, then asked if anyone would answer no, to any....... told everyone the were approved and could leave(with permit)

from my phone
    NCSoxFan likes this.

Outstanding! Congrats to your wife and the other 59 newly licensed citizens of MI.

Quote Originally Posted by Brass63 View Post
    In my county (Ottawa) I was required to go before a 'gun board'. All the approvals were completed beforehand.
    The purpose of the board is to have you swear to the truthfulness of your paperwork and reaffirm your answers to several questions.
    And at the end of the very brief process, they hand out the card.
    As to any recent changes to ccw in Michigan...the new law/laws passed last year were more or less...positive.
    Perhaps the lady behind the desk just wasn't up to speed...knowing only that something new was coming.
    I'd wouldn't lose sleep over her passing comment.
    Do they actually run a background check or just relying on the applicants' honesty? It sounds like they just relying on people's answers and the purpose of the in-person review is to double check. It must be a union thing and these county jobs must pay well.

Quote Originally Posted by nobody_iam View Post
    She got it!....... I guess since there were so many applicants, the first guy went up they asked him 12 questions. Then they asked the entire group if they understud every thing asked, everyone said yes, then asked if anyone would answer no, to any....... told everyone the were approved and could leave(with permit)

from my phone
    I love the union's thoroughness and dedication to their job. Was this on a Friday and the boards get some paid early-out?

Quote Originally Posted by 45ACPonly View Post
    I love the union's thoroughness and dedication to their job. Was this on a Friday and the boards get some paid early-out?
    Tuesday

from my phone

its more that there are usually so many people to swear in and go through, it has to be a mass procedure or it would take hours.. in Bay county, my meeting group was about 80 people, and that was a small group, they said. I was told that normally its 100-120 easy... cant even fit everyone into the meeting chambers, they stand outside.

The gun board thing is a farce and the legislation to get rid of them should have been passed last year. Thank our "republican" governor for that not happening...

I didn't have to appear at a gun board in Oakland county but my son had too in Maccomb county about a year ago. They asked him a few questions and handed him his cpl, no big thing but a pain in the a$$. Don't worry should be good.
    I love my Country but I fear my Government

Quote Originally Posted by 45ACPonly View Post
    Do they actually run a background check or just relying on the applicants' honesty? It sounds like they just relying on people's answers and the purpose of the in-person review is to double check. It must be a union thing and these county jobs must pay well.
    The background checks are all completed prior to the scheduled meeting. Your approval or rejection has already been pre-determined. (The cards are already made.)
    The 'raise your right hand' swearing to the accuracy of your responses proabably serves to strengthen the State's case against those who would lie about such matters.
    And perhaps the face-to-face meeting is intended to give the officials one last look at you...screening for wild-eyed nut cases who happen to have a clean record??
    I don't think this procedure has anything to do with unions or overtime.
    The panel members looked like they wanted to be anywhere but where they were.
    The United States Constitution 1791. All Rights Reserved.

Michigan 'gun boards' sound like nothing more than a bunch of little Napoleons to me...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links