Texas CHL newbs - Page 2

Texas CHL newbs

This is a discussion on Texas CHL newbs within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Seems to vary...I mailed my packet Dec17, this morning my staus changed to MAILED, I expect it early next week...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Texas CHL newbs

Seems to vary...I mailed my packet Dec17, this morning my staus changed to MAILED, I expect it early next week
    The wise man looks for ways to minimize mistakes, a fool boasts it will never happened to him.

"The problem is not the availability of guns, it is the availability of morons."
    - Antonio Meloni

I mailed mine 1/3 and nothing changed yet...

I think it varies quite a bit based on demand. Last I heard it was in the 4 - 6 week range.

Quote Originally Posted by llmstratocaster View Post
    I sent my packet of required documentation to them about a week and a half ago. Checked on the status just now and it's showing that they are still waiting for it. This leads me to believe that although they've received my packet, they just haven't gotten around to opening it yet. I imagine they have probably have rooms full of packets stacked to the ceiling right about now.

At this rate, I don't expect my license until the end of February at the earliest.
    I don't remember all the phases it goes through, but when my daughter got hers a couple of years ago, the website was very slow to update. Seems like she got her card in the mail while the website still was one or two steps behind. My son-in-law, who took the class with her, had his info updated on the website and it showed his was mailed (which pissed off the daughter), but his card actually came a day or two later than hers did (which made her happy).

From what I remember, she checked the status on the website about 10 times a day, and then checked the mailbox about 5 times a day. I guess that helps speed up the process.

My wife sent her paperwork off on Dec 12. She didn't even show up in the state's tracking database until Jan 14. Background check is still being evaluated.
    If you would enslave a people, first you must disarm them.

~ Adolf Hitler
    ~ Mein Kampf

Got mine 15 years ago here in Tennessee and it took the full 90 days to get to me. They may get it to you quicker with newer technology now. IDK.

Texas CHL newbs

Update . 2 weeks Ago it went to background check under review. And hasn't changed .

How long from here ? I have no background at all.

My wife's friend it took exactly a month.... Me i think i am a couple of days past that 30 day mark with TX DPS.... Patience Grasshopper. One good thing to know. In TX you don't need a CHL to carry a weapon in your car. At least you can have protection when your driving around.

Texas CHL newbs

An month for the background check?

saa
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennydale View Post
    My wife's friend it took exactly a month.... Me i think i am a couple of days past that 30 day mark with TX DPS.... Patience Grasshopper. One good thing to know. In TX you don't need a CHL to carry a weapon in your car. At least you can have protection when your driving around.
    Be very careful when you carry in your car under that statute that allows carry to and from, and within, your vehicle. The statutes also state that if you are in the process of an "illegal" act when carrying, then the carry is then also illegal.

What would be the problem then? Good question! There was an article about this very statute and if you're pulled over for a traffic violation, you are then comitting an illegal act and it's within the DA's rights to charge you with unlawful carry. You can also "take the ride" if the officer believes that the violation, combined with carry w/o a permit, together, warrant an arrest.

I could not find the article - I was just searching - so I'm going off of my memory of the information.

Please Texas CHL'ers, if I am incorrect here, please set me right.

I'm not saying don't carry in your car, just be mindful of the ramifications given certain circumstances.
    saa.

The law specifically states that it does not include class 3 misdemeanors which is what almost all traffic violations are. I double checked my statement and it is even more clear than I remembered it. The law specifically excludes traffic violations.

Just got mine in January. I believe it was 41 days box to box.

Good luck!
    Always Carry, Never Tell
    S&W Shield 9mm
    Ruger LCP .380
    NRA Member
    Certified NRA Instructor

GH
    I got my Wisconsin CCL last year. It took 8 days mailbox to mailbox which included a weekend. I waited until the initial rush was past after our CC law was passed. As I understand it the times are quite a bit longer now with all this talk about gun control.

I hope yours comes faster than usual.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

VIP Member
    Mailed renewal stuff Jan 7-8. Feb 20 got an email saying it just went to printing and
    should arrive in 5-15 days. Then the fine print-- something like if it doesn't come
    by then you should report it as it might be lost in the mail--- but, you have to wait another
    30 days to report. Duh. So, 7-8 more days to go which will equal almost 60 from the time it
    was mailed (supposed to be processed in 45). Then, if it hasn't arrived, I have to wait
    30 days before calling them. I take that message in a pessimistic way; but we shall see.

No award for them, but then I doubt our state legislature has properly funded them in the past
    biennium.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

saa
    Quote Originally Posted by 3dfxMM View Post
    The law specifically states that it does not include class 3 misdemeanors which is what almost all traffic violations are. I double checked my statement and it is even more clear than I remembered it. The law specifically excludes traffic violations.
    Thank you! I remembered reading that and it always made me nervous so I never carried in the truck. Ii appreciate the clarification. :)
    saa.
    "Every man is my superior in some way, in that I learn of him." - Emerson

"The value of good work lasts far longer than the sting of working for too little money." - Patrick Truillio

Texas CHL newbs

Still no update , I emailed them and they sent me some BS generic email on how to check my status . 60 days is approaching next week .

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links