Defensive Carry banner

Texas CHL newbs

6K views 38 replies 28 participants last post by  Funkybassplayer 
#1 ·
Just sent mine off today.

How long is it taking lately???

#3 ·
Mine took 47 days mailbox to mailbox but I use to live in another State so they had to run a check where I use to live so yours might take a little less time...then again, they are probably processing more applications now than when I applied so you might be looking at about the same timeframe or longer.

#5 ·
My CHL is due to be renewed this year so it has been a while since I got mine CHL and I don't remember how long it took. However with the high volume of applications these days it may take a while, but it will worth the wait the first time you leave your house with it & your carry.

#8 ·
Imine was 5 weeks

#14 ·
I sent my packet of required documentation to them about a week and a half ago. Checked on the status just now and it's showing that they are still waiting for it. This leads me to believe that although they've received my packet, they just haven't gotten around to opening it yet. I imagine they have probably have rooms full of packets stacked to the ceiling right about now.

At this rate, I don't expect my license until the end of February at the earliest.

#18 ·
I think it varies quite a bit based on demand. Last I heard it was in the 4 - 6 week range.

I don't remember all the phases it goes through, but when my daughter got hers a couple of years ago, the website was very slow to update. Seems like she got her card in the mail while the website still was one or two steps behind. My son-in-law, who took the class with her, had his info updated on the website and it showed his was mailed (which pissed off the daughter), but his card actually came a day or two later than hers did (which made her happy).

From what I remember, she checked the status on the website about 10 times a day, and then checked the mailbox about 5 times a day. I guess that helps speed up the process. :smile:

#16 ·
Seems to vary...I mailed my packet Dec17, this morning my staus changed to MAILED, I expect it early next week :banana:

#19 ·
My wife sent her paperwork off on Dec 12. She didn't even show up in the state's tracking database until Jan 14. Background check is still being evaluated.

#22 ·
My wife's friend it took exactly a month.... Me i think i am a couple of days past that 30 day mark with TX DPS.... Patience Grasshopper. One good thing to know. In TX you don't need a CHL to carry a weapon in your car. At least you can have protection when your driving around.

#24 ·
Be very careful when you carry in your car under that statute that allows carry to and from, and within, your vehicle. The statutes also state that if you are in the process of an "illegal" act when carrying, then the carry is then also illegal.

What would be the problem then? Good question! There was an article about this very statute and if you're pulled over for a traffic violation, you are then comitting an illegal act and it's within the DA's rights to charge you with unlawful carry. You can also "take the ride" if the officer believes that the violation, combined with carry w/o a permit, together, warrant an arrest.

I could not find the article - I was just searching - so I'm going off of my memory of the information.

Please Texas CHL'ers, if I am incorrect here, please set me right.

I'm not saying don't carry in your car, just be mindful of the ramifications given certain circumstances.
saa.

#29 ·
Thank you! I remembered reading that and it always made me nervous so I never carried in the truck. Ii appreciate the clarification. :)
saa.

#27 ·
I got my Wisconsin CCL last year. It took 8 days mailbox to mailbox which included a weekend. I waited until the initial rush was past after our CC law was passed. As I understand it the times are quite a bit longer now with all this talk about gun control.

I hope yours comes faster than usual.

#28 ·
Mailed renewal stuff Jan 7-8. Feb 20 got an email saying it just went to printing and
should arrive in 5-15 days. Then the fine print-- something like if it doesn't come
by then you should report it as it might be lost in the mail--- but, you have to wait another
30 days to report. Duh. So, 7-8 more days to go which will equal almost 60 from the time it
was mailed (supposed to be processed in 45). Then, if it hasn't arrived, I have to wait
30 days before calling them. I take that message in a pessimistic way; but we shall see.

No award for them, but then I doubt our state legislature has properly funded them in the past
biennium.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.