I notice when I stand I put my hand on my gun

This is a discussion on I notice when I stand I put my hand on my gun within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For some reason, I have this really bad habit. When I am standing, I tend to put my hand on my gun. Kind of like ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I notice when I stand I put my hand on my gun

For some reason, I have this really bad habit. When I am standing, I tend to put my hand on my gun. Kind of like how a cop put their hand on their gun when they are standing and just resting. I have no clue why I do it. Does anyone else have that problem?

Assistant Administrator
    Haha - ''just checkin'' huh

No can't say I do that - but do have ''sneaky ploys'' like right elbow in to side lightly as a sort of check and cover garment control sometimes.

Methinks from carry POV - a trend you will have to get rid of
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Discreet Check!

I'll second P95Carry's right elbow trick. I just got back from Wal-Mart and had used the light right elbow to check position. I just got a new Fobus for my Ruger P97 .45 and am still getting used it. To say that the .45 is a little "beefier" than my Kel-tec would be quite an understatement.

One other "trick" that may help put you at ease is to take a discreet glance at your reflection in store windows, restroom mirrors, etc.

Carry safe,

ccWV
    The constitutions of most of our States assert, that all power is inherent in the people; that they may exercise it by themselves, in all cases to which they think themselves competent, . . . that it is their RIGHT AND DUTY TO BE AT ALL TIMES ARMED . . . Thomas Jefferson (June 5, 1824)

pax
    You do want to get rid of that habit if you can.

What kind of belt & holster are you using?

pax
    Kathy Jackson
    My website: Cornered Cat

Quote Originally Posted by ccWV View Post

One other "trick" that may help put you at ease is to take a discreet glance at your reflection in store windows, restroom mirrors, etc.

Carry safe,

ccWV
    I ALWAYS look in anything thats reflective. My friends think Im vain. I call it safety. lol

Quote Originally Posted by pax View Post
    You do want to get rid of that habit if you can.

What kind of belt & holster are you using?

pax
    Well I am carrying a Kel Tec P3AT with an Uncle Mikes Inside the pants holster. Problem is I wear tight shirts, kinda european style i guess, so even the Kel Tec shows on certain shirts. I also just use a regular belt.

pax
    Okay. My best guess is that the reason you keep putting your hand on the firearm is because you are consciously or subconsciously feeling it shift around as you move.

Solution? Get rid of the Uncle Mike's and get something a little less squishy, and maybe move to a stiffer belt too. With something as light as the P3AT, you probably don't need a true gun belt, but you do need something a little stiffer than average so you're not feeling the gun shift anymore.

Oh, re snug tee shirts. Get in the habit of adjusting it or tugging it down only when you stand up, get out of the car, etc -- and try to keep your hands off it otherwise. It's natural to adjust snug clothing when you straighten up after sitting or bending over, but unnatural to adjust it every ten minutes no matter what you're doing. A habit of out of place clothing adjustments is pretty much a giveaway that you're carrying, to all little kids and to any adults who are trained to notice such things.

HTH...

pax
    Kathy Jackson
    My website: Cornered Cat

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ccWV View Post
    Also a good way to keep an eye on whats behind you....
    I use car windows in this manner when loading groceries etc....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

I too tend to use my elbow for any adjustments.
    Don't be a fool and die for your country. Let the other sonofabitch die for his.

George S. Patton

P3AT, here, with a DeSantis pocket holster.

Quote Originally Posted by gbahri View Post
    ... Kel Tec P3AT ... Uncle Mikes Inside the pants holster ... regular belt ... tight shirts, kinda european style ... When I am standing, I tend to put my hand on my gun.
    That's a bad combination, as I'm sure you know. You've got to change two or three of those things, else you will get "made" by those who are scoping for a target. It could mean the difference between you surviving and not. </soap box>

Suggestions:
    • P3AT carried in the pocket, with pants suitably pleated/baggy to allow the room.

Or
    • A proper, well-made IWB holster that tightly holds the gun in place, under cover, not shifting.
    • A proper, well-made belt designed to support a firearm and to hold it in place without having to fidget, check it, worry about it.
    • Shirts and/or "cover" clothing sufficient to conceal the gun. Tight shirts or sufficient cover: pick one and go with it.

You haven't mentioned anything about spare magazines, but I'm assuming you're carrying two. The P3AT mags are very small and can easily fit in a pocket pouch or a good leather mag pouch on the weak-hand side in an IWB setup. Again, concealment and not fidgeting with it is critical.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; October 23rd, 2006 at 01:59 AM. Reason: grammarian nervous tick
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    plus 4 on the elbow check.....
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

When I get out of the car or stand up after sitting, I do the shirt tug thing and do a discreet check with the elbow, but my Sam Andrews OWB and my Beltman belt firmly keeps everything where they belong. I also use the elbow when navigating rush hour at Costco, for example, to prevent contact between pistol and passersby...

Administrator
    I'll second everything ccw9mm said, and add that this nervous habit will go away with time. I still do "check" once in awhile, same as I do for car keys, cell phone and wallet. I usually do the gun check with my thumb en route to check wallet. I only do this after getting up from a table, out of a car etc.

Carry option

gbahri,

With the Kel-tec P3AT, maybe you want to consider smartcarry. I'm thinking of trying this method for the Kel-tec P11 9mm I just ordered and would welcome any comments from those who have used this method to enlighten both gbahri and myself.

http://www.smartcarry.com/

ccWV
    The constitutions of most of our States assert, that all power is inherent in the people; that they may exercise it by themselves, in all cases to which they think themselves competent, . . . that it is their RIGHT AND DUTY TO BE AT ALL TIMES ARMED . . . Thomas Jefferson (June 5, 1824)

Not trying to smoke you, but:

Spend good money for a good holster. Checking/positioning, to the degree you're talking about,is advertising yourself as someone who really isn't sure about, or comfortable with, carrying a weapon. Advertising to alert LE and BGs, that is. The weapon-check is a "uiversal-cue" (the hand to the waistband, the surreptitious glance in the direction of the weapon, patting the weapon-side). Very frequently a "tell" with someone doing Mexcan carry. Pocket carry would be something else to consider. Stay safe.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links