Bad encounter with a LEO

This is a discussion on Bad encounter with a LEO within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Bad leo...

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree107Likes

Thread: Bad encounter with a LEO

Bad leo

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Exacto View Post
    You aren't required to inform unless asked in Virginia. But, in talking with the officers on the street and not the pencil necks that write the laws, they all say that as a professional courtesy they would like to be told. The officers on the street are the ones we deal with, not the law makers, so I inform upon initial contact, as a courtesy.
    Interesting read on what "professional courtesy means:
    Original Meaning

Professional courtesy was the tradition among physicians not to charge for treatment of each other's family.The purpose was to discourage physicians from having members of their own family as patients, as well as to foster bonds among physicians. The custom dates back to Hippocrates.
    The phrase may also be applied in a literal form, such as required ethical behavior of lawyers towards each other.
    [edit]Current Usage

Since approximately 1990 the term has been used to refer to the practice by law enforcement officers allowing other officers to engage in traffic violations and some crimes without being reported or arrested.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Quote Originally Posted by gregnsc View Post
    Yea the man should have told him to start with.
    Not required by law. So "should" is simply a matter of opinion. The man did absolutely nothing wrong. Your statement suggests that his resulting arrest was somehow his fault, not the fault of the arresting officer who should "shoot him in the ______ back"
    9MMare, dldeuce, darbo and 2 others like this.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Officer was wrong for the arrest if it is current and a violation of CC law,Driver is an idiot,this is how not to handle being stopped by LEO,back when I was an LEO anybody that got out of a vehicle before being asked raised my suspicion there may be something they don't want me to see or smell in the car,
    Driver then was reaching back into the vehicle and messing around something I would have stopped him immediately and very likely at gun point,too easy for the guy to get a gun, point and shoot.
    I would suggest stay in the vehicle and keep your hands visible,inform if necessary or you want to,and then follow his/her instructions.Don't make any fast moves and if opening glove compartment for papers etc pause before reaching in so they can see it's clear of weapons.
    dldeuce and aus71383 like this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    Our jeep got 'bumped" in Arizona a couple of weeks ago. When producing paper for the Officer I said "here's my lic., reg, ins, and CCW". She said gave me a funny look and said "I don't care about that". Just common courtesy I think, letting her know who she is dealing with.
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

I know you don't "have" to tell leo's.... but I would tell them just out of courtesy... Just my opinion.
    Nations crumble from within when the citizenry asks of government those things which it might better provide for itself... Man is not free unless government is limited... As government expands, liberty contracts.
    -Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member
    Be considerate of the officer. TN does not require that a permit holder inform. But part of my Handgun Carry Permit training in TN included a (simulated) clip of a stop in which the officer sees a concealed weapon on an overweight lady's person as she reaches for her insurance papers. He prones her out.
    The moral of the story is, it may be best to just hand your permit with your license or inform anyway, as a courtesy or don't be surprised if the officer takes the superior position.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Distinguished Member Array SCXDm9's Avatar
    I never saw a gun nor did that officer... he might have seen a holster but not a gun! The LEO says he is being arrested for DISPLAYING A FIREARM, not displaying a holster. Anyone know the out come of this?
    darbo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    The cops is all wrong on this one. Driver did nothing illegal nor threatening. Accidental exposure of a CW is not illegal nor a violation of open carry law in FL, nor is one required to inform unless asked. Either this is an old video, before the law was changed over a year ago, or some LEO is going to be paying off a huge debt while trying to find a new job.

I'd have done two things:
    1. Tell the LEO I want a copy of that video and that I have nothing further to say to him,
    2. Tell the wife to contact a lawyer and order those house plans for that summer cabin in Montana.
    Agreed but you are stupid and generally considered a threat if you get out of the vehicle unasked.
    pittypat21 and aus71383 like this.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by Exacto View Post
    You aren't required to inform unless asked in Virginia. But, in talking with the officers on the street and not the pencil necks that write the laws, they all say that as a professional courtesy they would like to be told. The officers on the street are the ones we deal with, not the law makers, so I inform upon initial contact, as a courtesy.
    The do not all say that

and

If they are professionals, they respect the law as written and treat the permit holder professionally.
    pittypat21 likes this.
    Fortune favors the bold.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

It's not about 'courtesy.' Personally I think that must makes the drivers feel better.

They have to treat ALL people as if they're armed. Even if you tell them, they'd be silly to trust you anymore than anyone else.

If they ask you to get out of the vehicle, that's a different story.
    Fortune favors the bold.

The video is from 2009.
    The DA did not bring any charges against the driver ......or the officer who is now a marine officer.

Biggest mistake he made was getting out. Had he stayed in the van he would have been on his way in 20 minutes.
    9MMare and thechriskarel like this.
    A word to the wise isn't necessary, save it for the stupid

Quote Originally Posted by heritage1865 View Post
    I know you don't "have" to tell leo's.... but I would tell them just out of courtesy... Just my opinion.
    Sometimes it may be useful, but most of the time I disagree. I have been in the situation where I felt I had to tell because I had foolishly placed my gun in the console where I kept my insurance and vehicle registration. It ended with me being made to get out of the truck while they " secured" my weapon. An hour later, after I refused their request to search my truck, a supervisor arrives and 5 minutes later I was headed home. Had I had my gun on me I would have simply handed the female officer my DL, insurance, and registration and I would have been done in 15 minutes. She would have never known and never felt threatened because there is no way possible she would have seen my gun.
    On a different occasion I had a problem with the lights on my trailer and the officer asked me to walk back with him. I told him before I got out that I was carrying and had a permit. He asked where and to see my permit. He asked if he should be worried that I would shot him. I told him no and we walked to the back of the trailer. I got a warning for my lights.
    In one case informing was useful and the other not so much. I don't tell unless I feel it is useful and 99% of the time it is not useful.
    A word to the wise isn't necessary, save it for the stupid

Quote Originally Posted by gregnsc View Post
    Yea the man should have told him to start with.
    Although it's not usually the case, I've seen plenty of stories where informing the cop lead to a very similar ridiculous set of circumstances.

No reason not to tell him. But it's nice when cops actually understand the laws they're supposed to enforce

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links