Bad encounter with a LEO

This is a discussion on Bad encounter with a LEO within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; That Sheriff deputy way over reacted in that circumstance. If he cannot handle that situation in a calmer manner he needs to find a new ...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree107Likes

Thread: Bad encounter with a LEO

That Sheriff deputy way over reacted in that circumstance. If he cannot handle that situation in a calmer manner he needs to find a new line of work. Threatening to shoot the citizen in the back was way off base. The Sheriff in Citrus County should have fired that guy before his shift was over. That video could be use in future lawsuits if that same deputy hurts a citizen in that county. The video imputes knowledge to the Sheriff and county officials that they have a problem and failed to act to protect their citizens from his future egregious acts. Hopefully that deputy is no longer in law enforcement.

2. Remove Ads

Traffic stop for minor infringement. Informed of CCW. Cop wants to see the gun. He takes the gun and goes back to his cruiser and runs the the serial for a stolen weapon [it's not stolen]. Now he is "fisheing" for other infractions of the law. He has gone past beyone the reason for the traffic stop. Now wants to search my truck. NO!! Wait for the supervisor.
    Tell them of CCCW? Hell no!!!

VIP Member
    ...Motorist should have stayed in vehicle...Leo would not have been scared and responded like a little girl. Epic fail all around.

Cop seems to be better suited to be the night watchman at the old folks home instead of being a policeman.
    91wm6 and gottabkiddin like this.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Bad encounter with a LEO

while I don't give a dry crap what a LEO wants or doesn't want or what they think is courteous etc, that fool would've had a gun pointed at him either way. windows down, keys on the dash, interior lights on, and hands on the wheel. no matter what you say or don't say to a LEO about your firearm.

Even though he wasnt required to do so, I'd say stay in the car and start the conversation with telling him you have a loaded but holstered weapon and a permit to carry. Then see where it goes. I feel bad for the cop but he went overboard then tried to cover his own ass.
    (4) Springfield Armory XD-40 Sub Compact
    (1) Ruger LC9
    NRA Member

"Molon labe" "From my cold dead hands"

Inform

Whenever these types of discussions come up, I am always in support of informing the officer proactively despite the "legal requirement".

Driver was a fool for getting out of his vehicle. It's a risky job and the officer should be more alert once a driver exits the vehicle, and then again at the sight of an armed man. Playing "computer chair quarterback", from what is known from just the video, the officer's reaction was over the top and unprofessional. He needs further training and experience.

The driver needs to go back to Driver's ed when they teach you not to exit the vehicle and maybe also learn about confidence and tact.
    aus71383 likes this.
    “There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.”
    ― Albert Einstein

Personally, I think both parties were in the wrong to a degree here. If the law doesn’t require you to inform the officer that you are armed, then that’s fine. But if you are going to exit your vehicle during a stop with your firearm holstered on your side, you have got to use a little common sense and inform the officer that you are armed. The first words out of the guy’s mouth should have been telling the officer that he is armed. He dang sure should not have been reaching for his wallet on the firearm arm side without telling the officer he was armed. I understand that he didn’t technically break the law, but still use a little common sense. He shouldn’t have even gotten out of the van unless instructed too.

I also think the officer over reacted a tad and should not have arrested the guy. I think he did the right thing by restraining the guy after he saw the firearm, but arresting him for brandishing was a little extreme, I think. He should have jumped down the guy’s throat for being an idiot, gave me back his gun and sent him on his way. That’s what I would have done anyway. But I don’t blame the officer for being pissed. He is risking his life every time he makes a traffic stop, didn’t know this guy from Adam, and then the idiot gets out of the vehicle with a pistol strapped on his side and doesn’t even bother to tell the officer he has it. I’d be pissed too. I think the officer was a lot more “gentle” with this guy than a lot of LEOs would have been.

I feel for the guy, because he stated several times that he didn't have the money to fight the issue in court. But he should have told the officer he had was carrying in that situation, I think.
    ep1953 and aus71383 like this.
    ”Those who give up their liberty for more security neither deserve liberty nor security.”
    Ben Franklin

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    For those who like to use the "The LEO risks his life...," I don't recall any LEO being drafted. All of them are in that career voluntarily, and if making routine traffics stops puts them that much on edge, perhaps a long vacation or change in careers is in order. Cautious, yes. Belligerant, no.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

The part that I think most people see as the issue here would be the LEO's reaction and demeanor. The language used alone would cause me to seriously doubt the officer's fitness for duty and must I remind everyone that while the officer seems to be able to distrust the citizen: we as citizens have no choice in the reverse. This gentleman overreacted, plain and simple, to a bewildered citizen obviously making a sincere effort to comply with his orders. The citizen was obviously out of his element and while he was stupid to the nth degree, made no threatening gestures and did not brandish his weapon. That was simply an excuse used by the officer to cover his butt same as the ol strandby "obstruction".

The old saying, "everyone rises to his highest level of incompetence," is clearly demonstrated here. The officer should be back at the station sweeping floors and making coffee, not patrolling alone and given the ability to threaten deadly force when a citizen was clearly complying with his orders.

We don't get out of our vehicle without first being asked to do so now but there was a time that I was berated by a LEO for not getting out first. This was years ago in another time and world ( I can't figure this new one out LOL ) Savannah, Ga. in 1974. Didn't get pulled over for about 25 years so I got out first ...got berated for that you can bet. OK.... lesson learned... point I'm making is we never know what they want us to do and each person uses his own cues to instinctively decide how to react.

Should we clearly state that we are legally carrying? Of course, we should make an effort to put the officer at ease by acting calmly and upfront with information of this nature (Sir I need to inform you that I hold a CCW permit and am carrying a (weapon) in my (location), What would you like me to do?). I don't think any LEO would take offense at being told "I'm carrying" in this manner. If he is offended: well so be it, I would rather be held up a few minutes while he decides how bad he wants to punish me for his soiling himself than be threatened or worse. This could have ended badly!!!!!

Wonder if someone should come up with a universal way to act and tell us all about it so we are not scaring the officers and we all live happily ever after. Ther officers know we are acting in a normal manner and the citizens know how to act to not bring negative vibes into the situation.

I realize that many are on both sides of the fence on this but I am squarely planted on the side of the citizen here....this officer needs another profession
    Jeanlouise and ep1953 like this.

The civilian made his share of mistakes.
    But IMO this officer acted very unprofessionally.
    Profanity-laced commands by LE really bug me.
    To me this behavor reveals a lack of self-control and character. It diminishes the uniform and all it represents.
    If you want to talk like a gang-banger...find a different career.
    I guess I'm from another century.
    latentcarry and 91wm6 like this.
    The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved.

When did this happen? I live in Citrus County and don't remember seeing anything about it!!!
    Tony

The video is also on YouTube. Someone on there said that it was from 2009. If that's the case, I don't know if Andy Cox is still a deputy or not?
    Tony

My ccw instructor (florida county sheriff deputy) told us that as permit holders we had to disclose the fact we were carrying when stopped. Was he incorrect? If so can someone refernce the law or statute? Thanks.

This issue to inform or not, when not required by law to do so, really seems to depend on the cop, not the citizen or the state law. Last month I was visiting a friend outside of Atlanta. Georgia does not require you inform officer if you are legally carrying unless he asks. (Now coming from Illinois, you can guess how different the world was for me in Georgia.) Anyway, I had the opportunity to meet a friend of my friend who was a sergeant in a large Sheriff's Department. We were talking and i asked him what his opinion was on informing the officer that you were legally carrying in cases of a minor traffic violation. He looked at me with almost an expression of why was I asking such a stupid question. He then said he couldn't care less if the citizen was carrying as long as it was legal to do so. I then asked what his reaction was if the citizen volunteered the information. Again, he gave me a look like "what's the big deal" and said he would say something like "well, if you don't touch yours I won't touch mine." I asked him if he ever had a problem with concealed carry, and he said no, none at all. He presumes most are carrying, and again, it just wasn't a big deal for him. One other point. When I asked later what the effect of CC was in his area, he said no effect, except perhaps street crime probably dropped a bit.
    aus71383 likes this.
    Best way to win a gun fight? "That's easy, don't show up."
    --Wyatt Earp

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
    -- Wyatt Earp

I see two things here. The driver shouldn't have exited the vehicle until instructed to do so. Had he stayed in the vehicle, this incident wouldn't have occurred. Secondly, the officer overreacted, in my opinion, to seeing a holster. Wouldn't he have felt stupid had there not been a pistol in that holster?

A seasoned officer, who was amped up, might have reacted this way (minus the swearing and threats perhaps), but once he realized that he over reacted, he'd have taken the cuffs off, slapped the guy on the back, and sent him on his way, instead of letting it go through the judicial system, only to be dismissed. A simple explanation that I did what I did for your safety and mine, would have sufficed. Happens every day.

If this guy is now a Marine officer, I bet he's writing tickets for people having life jackets in their boats, but not wearing them correctly. His supervisors need to have a come to Jesus meeting with him. Not a very good example of professional law enforcement in my view.
    aus71383 likes this.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links