Bad encounter with a LEO

Bad encounter with a LEO

This is a discussion on Bad encounter with a LEO within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; You are not required in Florida to inform a LEO that you are legally armed during a traffic stop. This is why you may want ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree107Likes

Thread: Bad encounter with a LEO

Bad encounter with a LEO

You are not required in Florida to inform a LEO that you are legally armed during a traffic stop. This is why you may want to do so. You have to copy the link and google it.

LiveLeak.com-FL Deputy
    Why do I carry a Gun? Because I can't carry a Cop

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    You aren't required to inform unless asked in Virginia. But, in talking with the officers on the street and not the pencil necks that write the laws, they all say that as a professional courtesy they would like to be told. The officers on the street are the ones we deal with, not the law makers, so I inform upon initial contact, as a courtesy.
    kb2wji, MACC12, GH and 5 others like this.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

I think the guy showed poor judgement in getting out of the vehicle. If you are going to go the route of not telling the officer you are armed (which I am neither advocating nor discouraging) then sit in your seat and keep your hands on the steering wheel.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I love Tiberius/Maggie.

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    In SC you must inform when asked for ID.
    This deputy went overboard and needs to examine whether he is in the right line of work, and improve his vocabulary. Bad attitude also.
    aus71383 likes this.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

Distinguished Member
    "Put your hands on the van or I'll shoot you in the [*******] back!" - Bad cop... no donut!
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

Distinguished Member Array dben002's Avatar
    LEO's risk danger and death on any traffic stop. Especially at night with multiple occupants of a vehicle. For my own safety and and as a courtesy to the officer if I am ever stopped I will inform him and show my CCL whatever state I am in. Here it is law to do so anyway.
    ninjahippie and aus71383 like this.
    There are two types of people who carry concealed weapons...Responsible ones and Irresponsible ones...which are you...

"You were brandishing a firearm"

Give me a freakin break. He was being calm and polite and you saw his holstered weapon. Yeah...he was "brandishing and displaying" a firearm alright...

Unbelievable.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Yea i'm from S.C. I got pulled for speeding,back in 2010,and was carrying.All i did was give LEO the 3 usual things and my ccw permit.I'm guessing he ran my permit but no problem at all.

So in FL if your weapon shows its a violation?

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    The cops is all wrong on this one. Driver did nothing illegal nor threatening. Accidental exposure of a CW is not illegal nor a violation of open carry law in FL, nor is one required to inform unless asked. Either this is an old video, before the law was changed over a year ago, or some LEO is going to be paying off a huge debt while trying to find a new job.

I'd have done two things:
    1. Tell the LEO I want a copy of that video and that I have nothing further to say to him,
    2. Tell the wife to contact a lawyer and order those house plans for that summer cabin in Montana.
    pittypat21, JaxRolo, jbum and 6 others like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by JoshJ10 View Post
    Not since they passed new legislation last year. I didn't look at the video, so it could be older than when the law was passed.
    The Old Anglo likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshJ10 View Post
    No.
    790.053 Open carrying of weapons.—
    (1) Except as otherwise provided by law and in subsection (2), it is unlawful for any person to openly carry on or about his or her person any firearm or electric weapon or device. It is not a violation of this section for a person licensed to carry a concealed firearm as provided in s. 790.06(1), and who is lawfully carrying a firearm in a concealed manner, to briefly and openly display the firearm to the ordinary sight of another person, unless the firearm is intentionally displayed in an angry or threatening manner, not in necessary self-defense.

This law was changed specifically for the reasons in the video.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pittypat21 View Post
    "You were brandishing a firearm"

Give me a freakin break. He was being calm and polite and you saw his holstered weapon. Yeah...he was "brandishing and displaying" a firearm alright...

Unbelievable.
    Negative. Brandishing and displaying are two entirely different things. Brandishing inplies a threat, whereas displaying is only visible. IAW FL law, I can actually, and intentionally, show you my CW as long as it's not "intentionally displayed in an angry or threatening manner, not in necessary self-defense."

The driver did neither.

Edit:
    The closest thing to brandishing in FL law is "use" as described in the statute covering guns and alcohol. In that, it defines "use" as having the fiream "in hand."
    Last edited by OldVet; January 18th, 2013 at 12:22 PM. Reason: Clarification.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Negative. Brandishing and displaying are two entirely different things. Brandishing inplies a threat, whereas displaying is only visible. IAW FL law, I can actually, and intentionally, show you my CW as long as it's not "intentionally displayed in an angry or threatening manner, not in necessary self-defense."

The driver did neither.
    I was being sarcastic in my response. Also, I used brandishing and displaying because the cop in the video accused the man of both.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Yea the man should have told him to start with.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links