Dry Firing - Safe for a Semi-Auto?

This is a discussion on Dry Firing - Safe for a Semi-Auto? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Your not going to find 1 set answer to your question. Some manufacturers state in the manuals not to dry fire, others don't address it. ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Dry Firing - Safe for a Semi-Auto?

VIP Member
    Your not going to find 1 set answer to your question. Some manufacturers state in the manuals not to dry fire, others don't address it. 99% of the time it won't cause a problem, even in those guns where it is not recommended. That 1% that it does can be expensive, especially if it is someone elses gun. Snap caps are not expensive. You could pick up snap cap in the most popular calibers (.380/9mm/.40 S&W and .45 ACP) and put them in your glove box in a zip lock bag.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    The striker fired pistols like XD's and Glocks are so easy to fix I wouldn't worry about it. I have dry fired the crap out of my Glock 19, probably 20,000 to 30,000 times, over the years and if I pull out the striker and take a look, or look into the striker channel with the bore scope, there is no damage. I've dry fired all my Glocks a lot - well, not the 30, I just got that yesterday, but I did dry fire it about 200 times last night. I've been dryfiring my XDs 140 - 150 times a week since Christmas morning. I just took the striker assy out of it and it looks just fine.

I don't dry fire any of my rim fire guns. I don't worry about the center fire ones. I dry fire them a lot. When deer season is approaching I watch TV with my Ruger BlackHawk .45 Colt in my hand and dry fire it during commercials.

Dry firing will definitely improve your handgun shooting skills. Do it safely, but do it.

Fitch
    Vtxdpm likes this.
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I've never heard of a firearm being damaged by using a snapcap.
    9MMare likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Dry Firing - Safe for a Semi-Auto?

Manual (Manuel) will tell you...
    "The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

Re: Dry Firing - Safe for a Semi-Auto?

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    There is a screw that serves as the firing pin retainer (I think) that gets deformed and damaged during dry firing. Anyway in the manual there is a warning not to dry fire it.
    +1 same with the pf9 when you dry fire it, it puts all the pressure on that screw. I dry fire the craps out of my sp2022, but had to go buy some snap caps for this thing lol. O well still a great gun.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
    Okay...lemme understand...firing a semi w/o a round in the pipe causes more damage than firing with a round that releases extreme pressure and hundreds of foot-pounds of force in a split-second? Really? No force is more damaging than hundreds of pounds of sudden force? I need to go back to Physics 101
    Perhaps so. Firing pins/strikers are designed to hit the primer, and with no round some can hit the inside of the slide instead, damaging the pin and or pin opening. Look at it as hitting the head of a nail with a hammer--or missing and hitting the wood instead. Not all firearms will be damaged, but not all of them won't either.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

The fact that this debate never goes away,and it isnt worth risking it, is why i spent the $12 and got some snap caps
    Jemsaal likes this.

I once owned a CZ P 01 that the manual specified no dryfiring. The gun came with a set of plastic snap caps.
    I've dry fired my Glocks thousands of times without issue.

I bet if you read the manual you won't have to ask on a forum for random strangers' opinions. Also - the manual for whatever gun you are looking for is probably online....making it even easier.

Austin

Distinguished Member Array OhioCatter's Avatar
    Snap caps.

Quote Originally Posted by OhioCatter View Post
    Snap caps.

cap-gun-with-round-caps.jpg

I'm probably just adding air to air by saying this but whatever.
    I dry fire all my weapons and for my rimfires, I use empty cartridges. I believe in order to practice properly, you need to dry fire. Don't take my word for it, ask a pro. The whole stance and grip practice is nice but if that finger isn't able to pull that trigger quite right, your losing valuable training

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links