Adjusting, shifting and checking way too much.

This is a discussion on Adjusting, shifting and checking way too much. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK I have been carrying my S&W 642 for a month or so now and I have found that I am checking my rig way ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adjusting, shifting and checking way too much.

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar

OK I have been carrying my S&W 642 for a month or so now and I have found that I am checking my rig way too much.

I am carrying OTB using a BlackHawk Holster. My normal dress is jeans and an untucked poloshirt. I wear a 3X so I do have plenty of room left. I feel like I am always pulling down my shirt.

Now let me say that the Blackhawk was my first purchase and I needed to start somewhere. I have been reading here and think I have found the problem. I think I really need to be using a pancake holster. My Blackhawk has a belt loop through one side and then a tunnel in the back. This is the problem. My rig does not lay flat in the front. I orgionally thought I was just had to get "broke in" and used to carrying, but I think it has gone too far.

I am currently thinking of going IWB or to the pocket.

Anyone carrying a snubbie and have found the perfect holster to recomend?
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

kayaker,
    I too originally started out with a OWB paddle. After just a few days and my first wally world visit, I switched to a IWB (I have a desantis stealth for my pt140 and a home-made for my XD40) and it works well. for printing sake, I ask my loving wife to give me a hug and see if she notices.

good luck
    pax
    pt

I sometimes carry a 642 in a IWB Galco Scout single clip rig and, while not the best holster in the world, it doesn't move and is very concealable. Not bad for comfort but I prefer my C-T.A.C.

http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterG3.asp...=913&GunID=108

What kind of belt are you using?

Here's what I think is the best OWB holster for a snubby...Milt Sparks PMK shown with my wife's 642.

"It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by raysheen View Post
    I sometimes carry a 642 in a IWB Galco Scout single clip rig and, while not the best holster in the world, it doesn't move and is very concealable. Not bad for comfort but I prefer my C-T.A.C.

http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterG3.asp...=913&GunID=108

What kind of belt are you using?
    Im using a nice heavy duty 1.5 inch leather belt.

I think the Milt Sparks is nice, but it is set up in the same fashon as my Blackhawk. Belt loop in the back and tunnel under the gun.

I think I have two problems... my gun is not riding tight enough against my body and I am always moving my arms up and down (I have a 2 year old... nuff said) which raises and lowers my shirt tail length. 90 percent of the time I check and all is well, but that 10 percent is a killer.

It is getting along to winter and I could wear a cover shirt hanging out, but I feel like I shouldn't have to. I should be able to conceal underthe polo shirt.... or am I wrong?
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

Administrator
    You should not have any problem at all carrying a S&W 642 OWB using a good holster AND Gun Belt.

Buy a good leather rig & gun belt & then just make up your mind that you're going to leave it alone and quit fussing with it. Simple.
    A good holster and belt will do the concealment work for you and then you can forget it's there.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

where exactly are you carrying it? if carried at 3:00 a gun will print more because it's over your hip-bone. Try moving it either back to 4:00 (just behind the hip), or forward to about 1:30 or 2:00 and see if that solves the problem.

Another option you might consider...For my snubby (Taurus 85). I use a set of Barami Hip-Grips that allow for IWB carry w/o a holster. I carry at about 1-1:30 and can get the gun into action very quickly using this method.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

I wish that I had all the money back that I have spent on holsters to find one that feels right. I could buy another gun.

By far the most comfortable and body hugging of them all is the Jak Slide Belt Holster by Galco
    http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterG3.asp...=643&GunID=150

I carry a Sig Sauer P 220 in it in the Winter time and a Sig Sauer P 245 in the Summer. The belt runs through the exterior belt slots and pulls the pistol close to the body. Wear it at 3:00 under a size too large T-shirt and it will do ya fine.

printing

one thing to consider with an S&W revolver is the grips. You say you raise and lower your arms a lot and sometimes you're showing. Maybe it's not the holster. You could try a set of smooth wood grips. I know on my revolvers, the sticky rubber grips are more comfortable to shoot, but also a lot more likely to catch on my cover garment. Some grips I've had luck with are Hogue and Bang Inc. Hogue should make some for the J frame, but I doubt Miculek does.
    "An armed man is a citizen, an unarmed man is a subject."

Sights? What are those?

Something else to think about is how much are you printing? If it's the size of a cell phone, that's what 99% of people will see, a cell phone.

When I first started carrying I worred about printing a lot. Sometimes you will print no matter what. There will be a bulge of some kind when you pick something up or reach for something. That's inevitable and no one will really ever notice. Sad fact of the matter is, you could be open carrying and most people still wouldn't notice.

keep experimenting

The type of holster you have does a better job of pulling the butt of the gun in then a pankage type holster. Pancake holsters are popular because they are generally cheaper. It may be gun position or the fact that a revolver with a fat cylinder is harder to hide than a flat auto. Try an IWB and/or different placement of the rig. A higher riding holster may help also as it will place the cylinder above the beltline an add less mass to your waist.
    -Biker

I'm guessing that if you wear a 3x,you're a big guy..so am I.I wear a 4x...high ride holsters don't work for me at all.I need a holster that rides a little low.I carry a 642 in the pocket 99% of the time though.Try pocket carry.Then the only adjusting you may do is to pull your pants up once in a while.
    But like others have said....most people won't even realize what you're doing anyway.
    A good belt is a must too....
    "Just because I'm paranoid,doesn't mean they're NOT after me...."

I carry my 3" SP101 in my right front pants pocket in a Mika pocket holster all the time. Unlike many other pocket holsters, it has a rounded leading edge (the side that faces your, um, pants zipper) so that when you sit or squat or whatever you do that stretches the fabric tight against your thigh, the edge of the holster doesn't show the sharp outline of the holster the way it does with some other brands. You can't beat the price, plus Mika gets your order turned around very quickly. My only issue is that it's a thicker bundle in your pocket than, say, a FIST #5. I prefer the thicker bundle to the more obvious, IMO, printing issue that you get with other holsters.

http://www.frontiernet.net/~akim/

I was pulling on my shirt a lot too in the beginning. I was touching the butt of the gun too.

The thing that helped me was to wear just the holster by it self (no gun) . I wore it too class at the tech and to my work. I got use to it and now when I am armed I don't pull on my shirt any more.
    There are 10 types of people in the world:
    Those who understand binary, and those that don't.

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    You'll either stop or you'll go to a new rig.

Smartcarry works for me-- but you REALLY don't want to be checking it too often...

Your circle of friends will rapidly diminsh if you do!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links