GA kid with CC thinks he can carry everywhere - Page 2

GA kid with CC thinks he can carry everywhere

This is a discussion on GA kid with CC thinks he can carry everywhere within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Although, I wouldn't too quickly dismiss the "...a judge told me so..." line. That may well have happened. I am constantly surprised by the ignorance ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: GA kid with CC thinks he can carry everywhere

Although, I wouldn't too quickly dismiss the "...a judge told me so..." line. That may well have happened. I am constantly surprised by the ignorance of those who, by training and professional responsibility, should know better.

Most likely the judge said no such thing. People often hear what they want when they ask a question, so a well-informed judge's answer "You can carry in any state that recognizes our license." may have gotten a little condensed when translated into knucklehead.

Quote Originally Posted by pittypat21 View Post
    It took me about 2 weeks to get my carry license. Of course I had to wait til I'd been a resident for 90 days before I could apply. So for those 3 1/2 months I spent my time researching all the laws regarding carrying. I certainly didn't get my license and expect to be able to carry wherever I want, whenever I want.
    how long ago did you apply?? im not finding any residency requirement in the OCGA...you either live in GA or you dont(or youre on orders with the military and they issue you a license but military is actually exempt from needing a license)
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

Quote Originally Posted by drbald1 View Post
    Although, I wouldn't too quickly dismiss the "...a judge told me so..." line. That may well have happened. I am constantly surprised by the ignorance of those who, by training and professional responsibility, should know better.Most likely the judge said no such thing. People often hear what they want when they ask a question, so a well-informed judge's answer "You can carry in any state that recognizes our license." may have gotten a little condensed when translated into knucklehead.
    In the state of Ga. you do not go before a judge to get a GFL. The only time you would, would be in the event you were denied for the GFL by the local sheriffs dept. to start off with. Being that there was some discrepancy that caused the original denial, I seriously doubt that a judge would be so outta touch with reality and the laws surrounding something so commen as a concealed carry license as to inform some guy he can ignore the original guidelines and simply follow his special instructions. Come on, would anyone here seriously even ponder that guys story for a second... If so, that my friend is absolutely laughable.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Re: GA kid with CC thinks he can carry everywhere

In Alabama you can get yours.the same day. Only.costs $20 too lol just renewed mine a couple weeks ago.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

Oh we'll you tried. It's his responsibility to learn the laws of CC. If he doesn't he would just be another news story for the anti guns.
    Why people shouldn't be allowed to conceal carry without knowing the laws. Story at 6. I can see the headlines now.
    darbo likes this.

Idiots come in all sizes and professions. I was at a gun show last year, and a young man and woman were manning a table offering defensive handgun instruction. Because I've some experience and interest in the topic, I stood nearby listening to him tell some novice shooters, that if they took his course, they would get an "enhanced" CCW, which would be accepted in many more states than the standard CCW, and that you could basically carry anywhere. (Note: There is an enhanced CCW here in MS, but his explanation of it was seriously lacking).

Out of curiosity, I said "So if I take your course, I can carry my pistol on my person concealed, when I fly on commercial aircraft?" He replied, " Yes sir, this enhanced permit allows you to carry anywhere". I choked back my first reaction which was "Stupid hurts", but did tell him he needed to do a bit more research on what he was "selling" prior to making a huge, HUGE mistake.

They are EVERYWHERE! Be safe.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

I have an acquaintance the same way, he swears his Utah license allows him to carry in every state, including Illinois, he won't listen to reason. He also swears a cop told him that it would be legal to shoot someone standing by his truck if he thought that person was going to break into it.

He got the Utah license because he didn't have to shoot, he didn't see why a CCW holder would need to show proficiency with a handgun.

Fortunately I have no reason to be around him.
    darbo likes this.

GH
    Quote Originally Posted by KBSR View Post
    Out of curiosity, I said "So if I take your course, I can carry my pistol on my person concealed, when I fly on commercial aircraft?" He replied, " Yes sir, this enhanced permit allows you to carry anywhere". I choked back my first reaction which was "Stupid hurts", but did tell him he needed to do a bit more research on what he was "selling" prior to making a huge, HUGE mistake.
    It sounds like he was referring to an HR218 class for retired LEO.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

...I've trained rookies who've been told by those running the academy things that were TOTALLY illegal based on written law...had citizens tell me "Officer X told me this"...and found out he DID...and heard the straight skinny from the guys' neighbor's pool man...pros or citizens will tell a person ANYTHING...

...I just tell them all the same thing...you'd better look it up and read it in the law with your own eyes...the judge or cop or pool man AIN'T gonna be standing there before the judge with you...and they AIN'T gonna do your time if you get it wrong...we had a term for such astute info in the Corps...but here we gots rules...
    Aceoky likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikemgb View Post
    I have an acquaintance the same way, he swears his Utah license allows him to carry in every state, including Illinois, he won't listen to reason. He also swears a cop told him that it would be legal to shoot someone standing by his truck if he thought that person was going to break into it.

He got the Utah license because he didn't have to shoot, he didn't see why a CCW holder would need to show proficiency with a handgun.

Fortunately I have no reason to be around him.
    Looks like he wont be an acquaintance for to much longer.
    "As a strong supporter of our 2nd Amendment rights, I believe tougher enforcement of our nation's existing gun laws must be done before any more laws are enacted and put on the books."
    Jeff Miller

Quote Originally Posted by GH View Post
    It sounds like he was referring to an HR218 class for retired LEO.
    With all due respect, if he was, he was still wrong. I'm a retired federal law enforcement officer, and carry under the authority of HR 218 or LEOSA. For over 27 years I flew on commercial aircraft armed. As a retired LEO, under the authority of LEOSA, I am NOT authorized to carry, within the cabin of that aircraft any longer. I hope you can prove me wrong, but I'm 99.9% certain.

It's why I drive everywhere, because I'm not giving up my guns.
    Snub44 likes this.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    Some have to learn the hard way.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    In the state of Ga. you do not go before a judge to get a GFL. The only time you would, would be in the event you were denied for the GFL by the local sheriffs dept. to start off with. Being that there was some discrepancy that caused the original denial, I seriously doubt that a judge would be so outta touch with reality and the laws surrounding something so commen as a concealed carry license as to inform some guy he can ignore the original guidelines and simply follow his special instructions. Come on, would anyone here seriously even ponder that guys story for a second... If so, that my friend is absolutely laughable.
    You do go to a County Probate Judge to have the CC permit issued in Ga. This may be where he was confused about the "judge" part. In some small counties on a particular day he could have indeed come before a "judge" for his. I would expect that the person issuing the permit would have told him there were restrictions had he asked, most of these "judges" are career public servants who are well versed in the old " don't say anything you can get pinned down on" way of answering questions. The Probate Judge usually was the assistant to the old Probate Judge that retired.

Quote Originally Posted by latentcarry View Post
    You do go to a County Probate Judge to have the CC permit issued in Ga. This may be where he was confused about the "judge" part. In some small counties on a particular day he could have indeed come before a "judge" for his. I would expect that the person issuing the permit would have told him there were restrictions had he asked, most of these "judges" are career public servants who are well versed in the old " don't say anything you can get pinned down on" way of answering questions. The Probate Judge usually was the assistant to the old Probate Judge that retired.
    I seriously doubt that anyone could go anywhere in the state of Ga in this day and age and have their fingerprints ran thought the FBI database as well as a criminal background check and then see a judge to have a laminated and signed GFL issued to them; all in the same day. Heck, I'd even say in the same week, for that matter. If that is the case I would like for anyone to show what county or city that will do this. I have been a licensed concealed carry guy for 25+ years, and I have never seen or heard of anything remotely close to what you and this guy stated. Not trying to be a hard azz, but if it can be done there should be evidence of it somewhere, so please let me know, and please only site times and locations withing the last, lets say, 20 years or so.. If im wrong, ill be glad to concede the point. Thanks..
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Maybe it's time for a "You show me yours and I'll show you mine" session with this kid. Perhaps his permit is all in his head.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links