GA kid with CC thinks he can carry everywhere

This is a discussion on GA kid with CC thinks he can carry everywhere within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Got into a conversation at work and a coworker was inquiring about the steps to get his CC. I was explaining him the process, cost ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: GA kid with CC thinks he can carry everywhere

GA kid with CC thinks he can carry everywhere

Got into a conversation at work and a coworker was inquiring about the steps to get his CC. I was explaining him the process, cost and timeframe in FL, and another coworker (didn't look old enough to have a permit) told him he only had to go down to the courthouse with $90 and you get it the same day. He said that's what he did in Georgia to get his. I don't know the laws in GA so I didn't argue that point.

Then he said once you have a CWP in any state, you can carry in any other state. According to him, "A judge said so." Also a cop in Hawaii told him he could carry there with his GA permit. I pulled up a reciprocity map and showed him all the states he'd be breaking the law in.

I still don't know if he believes me.
    "Your mind is the weapon, all the rest are just tools." --gasmitty

2. Remove Ads

Well hes got the right idea at heart since any law abiding citizen should be able to carry open or cc without a permit, licence anywhere they want to in these not so United States,
    But of course he is wrong, only where states recognize his states permit.

You've heard it before, "It's hard to fix stupid.

This kid is going to learn from 'experience', hope it's not too bad.
    Perhaps he'll take a course from an instructor who can straighten out his thinking.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

You can't fix stupid, and it's easy to hurt yourself trying.

Austin

Some people just know everything and nothing that you say can persuade them differently....
    Anubis likes this.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Just goes to show you can't take what everybody says as good (and legal!) advice. The sad thing is that some people may believe him. Of course they'll get a big surprise when they find out they can't walk out with a permit the same day.

A quick check with handgunlaw.us tells me the the wait in GA can be up to 90 days. I couldn't easily find mention of the processing time in FL.

As for being able to carry anywhere, I'm afraid this young man may be in for a lesson learned from the school of hard knocks.

Ignorance like this is one of the biggest problems in the US today and does nothing but shoot the rest of us in the foot so to speak. I believe carrying is a major responsibility and we all should make every effort to know and abide by the laws...no sense in giving the anti's more ammo...

before they went to the new license type last year you could get your license in the same day in smaller counties...it was about 70$...now it takes about 5 days in smaller counties larger cities will take the full amount of time about 40ish days total..
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

It took me about 2 weeks to get my carry license. Of course I had to wait til I'd been a resident for 90 days before I could apply. So for those 3 1/2 months I spent my time researching all the laws regarding carrying. I certainly didn't get my license and expect to be able to carry wherever I want, whenever I want.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Quote Originally Posted by Moops View Post
    Got into a conversation at work and a coworker was inquiring about the steps to get his CC. I was explaining him the process, cost and timeframe in FL, and another coworker (didn't look old enough to have a permit) told him he only had to go down to the courthouse with $90 and you get it the same day. He said that's what he did in Georgia to get his. I don't know the laws in GA so I didn't argue that point.

Then he said once you have a CWP in any state, you can carry in any other state. According to him, "A judge said so." Also a cop in Hawaii told him he could carry there with his GA permit. I pulled up a reciprocity map and showed him all the states he'd be breaking the law in.

I still don't know if he believes me.
    Advise him to carry the card of a good attorney in his wallet at all times, as it seems he's destined to need it.
    darbo and pittypat21 like this.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by Moops View Post
    Got into a conversation at work and a coworker was inquiring about the steps to get his CC. I was explaining him the process, cost and timeframe in FL, and another coworker (didn't look old enough to have a permit) told him he only had to go down to the courthouse with $90 and you get it the same day. He said that's what he did in Georgia to get his. I don't know the laws in GA so I didn't argue that point. Then he said once you have a CWP in any state, you can carry in any other state. According to him, "A judge said so." Also a cop in Hawaii told him he could carry there with his GA permit. I pulled up a reciprocity map and showed him all the states he'd be breaking the law in. I still don't know if he believes me.
    Georgia resident here. The guy is not only a liar, but an idiot too.. There's no judge in this state that would give that clown card Blanche to CC any and everywhere.. Not to mention that the fee just went from $34 to $60 this past year or so ago... I guess there's one everywhere and we all know at least one guy that has done everything and knows all. If anyone's ever in Georgia and you come across a Jerry Kilgore, make use of the salt lick the guy drags behind him.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Senior Member Array Kimberpackn's Avatar
    "Kid" is the key phrase here. They come in all ages.
    We should not forget that the spark which ignited the American Revolution was caused by the British attempt to confiscate the firearms of the colonists. -

Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    Some people just know everything and nothing that you say can persuade them differently....
    Ya I got a couple of friends and a brother that way.

I've gotten into heated arguments with a friend here in FL regarding FL licenses. He calls me stupid when I say there are a few places you can't carry by law. He insists you don't need a license period. Few other things too. I finally dropped the last argument we had and refuse to discuss the whole issue with him anymore. Not my problem when he gets arrested one day.
    Exacto and darbo like this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    And folks like that are what scare me sometimes.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links