Would you take the shot???

This is a discussion on Would you take the shot??? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally posted by Bumper Unless he gets the notion that he is at the very least caught and going to wind up in jail and ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Would you take the shot???

DNM
    Originally posted by Bumper
    Unless he gets the notion that he is at the very least caught and going to wind up in jail and decides to slit your wife\'s throat and let you shoot him (suicide by armed citizen). Nope, we\'re going to have to disagree on this one. I would be interested in what your wife would say. I know what mine would say, and I would shoot, period.
    I\'m new to carrying... but I don\'t know if I could live with the fact that I watched someone take my wife\'s life and though I was prepared and \"willing\" to take action, I didn\'t. Just my nickel minus three pennies.

2. Remove Ads

dansumner
    Good to see you back Mr. Armstrong- I had some difficutly and had to re reigister (I was jdsumner).

I believe we are at a point at which we must agree to disagree....sort of. I think to a point, we differ on what we percieve the given situation to be. You state this is an armed robbery. To me, it was an armed robbery when he came in w a knife. It escalated to kidnapping (primary)when he forcefully took the shop owner\'s wife into his custody using a weapon (armed robbery is now secondary).
    I noticed you cited Ayoob in an earlier response. I have read also by Ayoob that persons who conduct certain types of violent acts are often on a suicide run (suicide by cop, mostly). You hafta wonder about someone who pulls a holdup? with a knife? Why didnt he just burgle the shop at night after closing and not involve anyone else. Another point I take into consideration is that someone willing to use a knife is willing to \'get their hands dirty\'. They are willing to be touching thier target. A gun lends itself to most in that you must have some proximity, but not be touching to be effective. Persons using a knife offensively seem to be more \'committed'to using it than a felon using a gun as a threat or leverage.
    We must all each personally draw our own line in the sand, if you will, as to what we are willing to accept. I personally will not accept someone taking my wife into their possession by force, for whatever reason. The very moment that happens, this person has put themselves in a position to recieve a violent reaction on my part. Because untill the situation is resolved, we can only speculate as to what the outcome will be. The hostage taker may let my wife go now, later, dead, alive, after taken to the car, driven off, raped, beaten whatever. But, if HIS life or ability to hold a hostage has been ceased, we know for sure the outcome. Just as the above article shows.
    Also, could you elaborate your answere to my third question as to what constitutes \'last resort\'? For the given criteria-man in home/shop with knife to your wife\'s throat?
    I pray you or I may never see this in our lifetime, but discussing it brings about a myriad of \'what if\'s'and possible outcomes, and that is what this forum is for.

Thanks,

Dan

Kahrman
    I would take the shot. I have too many people chastising me for my opinion on another thread to get involved in this one but if you have the ability and opportunity to take the shot and don\'t, you will be burying your wife. You have to live with it, not me. ;)

Ex Member Array David Armstrong's Avatar
    Unless he gets the notion that he is at the very least caught and going to wind up in jail and decides to slit your wife\'s throat and let you shoot him (suicide by armed citizen).
    We\'ll have to agree to disagree, I guess. The odds are that most won\'t successfully make the shot in such a manner that the BG is immediately incapacitated. So by shooting at him you are giving him an incentive to go ahead and knife the wife. And if he decides he doesn\'t want to go to jail and wants you to shoot him, why would he still be holding the wife hostage?? Why would he decide that the jig is up and he is caught if you are teling him to take the mopney and leave??

DC Founder
    Originally posted by David Armstrong
    We\'ll have to agree to disagree, I guess.
    I agree, David. I think about all that can be said has been said on this one. I just heard the lock click on this thread ;)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links