Who to Tell

This is a discussion on Who to Tell within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by GentlemanJim My wife knows.If you are in a sticky situation and a friend who knows you carry is along, do you really ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Who to Tell

Quote Originally Posted by GentlemanJim View Post
    My wife knows.If you are in a sticky situation and a friend who knows you carry is along, do you really want them yelling, "You've got a gun, do something."Jim
    Exactly. People knowing you carry totally changes the dynamics in a potentially life threatening situation. I don't tell ANYONE.
    Always Carry, Never Tell
    S&W Shield 9mm
    Ruger LCP .380
    NRA Member
    Certified NRA Instructor

2. Remove Ads

I usually wear a T-Shirt with a Neon Arrow pointing to my carry position that reads.."Hey I Have A Gun Ask Me Where"...

Seriously its up to you...in my experience...the fewer the better..and only those that need to know will know..
    Darrow75 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyLee View Post
    I am a new CHL in Texas. Who do you tell? Family, friends, boss at work, coworkers, pastor at church?
    I think that the fewer that know about it the better but give me your opinion.
    What are your reasons for telling? In other words, why would you? If you have a good reason, then go with that but I'd be interested in the reasons.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

I'm sure I've posted this before but maybe it will be helpful.

My parents, in their 70s, dont live near me. They are gun-neutral people and were happy to hear I bought a gun and happy I got the training to use it. I told them I had guns in the house because a) when they are here, they sleep in my bed in the *safe room* and b) there are things they need to know if there is a night-time break in....there are procedures and a plan.

In WA St. you can cc into restaurants where alcohol is served but you cant go into the lounge area (anywhere 'under 21' are restricted). We travel and do lots of things and eat out alot when they are here. So I had to explain I was carrying because there would be the occasional restriction on where I went.

My father is a really good guy but he treated it like a joke. He thought it was 'cool' and would make jokes or sly comments in front of waiters in restuarants "now dont shoot the waiter" . Or while we were wating in line somewhere. He didnt mean any harm and he didnt understand the implications. I had to talk to him several times about the seriousness of his comments and the fact that if taken wrong, could get me arrested (if people freaked out or something), etc.

Around him, I know it could still pop out on occasion. I didnt really have a choice in telling my folks but again....keep in mind that as others have said...once you tell you no longer have control over that information.
    aus71383 likes this.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Senior Member Array Kimberpackn's Avatar
    My motto which is shared by several here.....Always carry, never tell
    We should not forget that the spark which ignited the American Revolution was caused by the British attempt to confiscate the firearms of the colonists. -

Patrick Henry

VIP Member
    People who know I am armed:
    The one I wake up looking at;
    The ones who pay to take my class.
    Last edited by Mike1956; January 21st, 2013 at 06:55 PM.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Mrs. Ghost Tracker never KNOWS, but always...knows.
    Ya' know?
    (I think it's a "woman" thing.)
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimberpackn View Post
    My motto which is shared by several here.....Always carry, never tell
    Man I've been doing I wrong! I thought it was never carry, always tell! :)

I am gonna differ from many respondants to this question in that I tell anyone that asks.
    1. I usually OC, except at work or when it would be SOCIALLY unacceptable-thus, I answer the questions I may get concerning the "legality" of my OC with "It is perfectly legal to OC in the state of AL, no permit needed to do so, although you do need a permit to carry, Open or Concealed if in a vehicle." I then, if needed go further into the legalities of the situation.
    2. When I am CC, if somone spots my carry, and comments on it (a rare occurance - the spotting that is), I will confirm that "Yes, I do have a permit for my firearm".
    3. When and IF the conversation turns to firearms in my prescence, I like to show those who think that all gun owners are "gun nuts" or what have you that, infact your average Joe (or in my case Tom) is the type who owns, and carries a firearm for personal protection. We have so many "rabid" excuses for idiotic gun owners/carriers that give gun ownership a bad name, that I feel it is my duty as a citizen to put weapon ownership/carry in a positive light.

If everyone subscribed to the "C.A.N.T." school of thought, we leave the general population with only the idiots/showboaters as examples of Sheepdogs (to use a over used phrase). As long as people only see the you tuber examples of LAC's then we all will be painted in that same light.

Then again, I am of the opinion that if a BG knows you are armed, he's not gonna target you, he is gonna move on to easier prey. For the most part they are cowards and lazy, they want the easy score or else they would get a job, and not be robbing folks. Oh, the occasional "Mass Murderer/Killing Spree/shoot up a mall" type won't be deterred, but they are abberations even among criminals to the point that you are more likely to be struck by lightening TWICE than run across one of them. (IMHO)
    9MMare likes this.

Lot's of good point to consider, my MO is don't tell, nobody has ever noticed if and when I'm packing, had to get through some issues with my Girlfriend at first, now that we have gone shooting together and she's thinking she's good because she actually hit the x once with my .357, and hit dirt most of the other shots, we are good to go. She said something special to me recently, when I mentioned our shooting time at the local range, she said you were so relaxed and looked to be enjoying your shooting. Hmmm. She's a keeper.
    Now to get her shooting the targets instead of the dirt around the targets lol. I'm loading her with light target .38's for now, oneday I'll give her a load of some average .357 and watch the fireworks once she quits shooting the dirt under the target stands.

I don't bother telling anyone. The less I really emphasize it and consider it just a part of my wardrobe, the less anyone really could care less. Although I live in a resort town in a rural area, nowhere near a metropolis of any kind.

My neighbors know I have guns. It would be kind of hard to miss because of all the gunfire! So I have casual conversations with them about firearms in general.

However, I never, ever, ever talk about my CC gun with anyone unless someone sees it in my hand at the range.

Lessons learned very hard way dont ask dont tell

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    No reason to tell anyone actually!!!
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyLee View Post
    I am a new CHL in Texas. Who do you tell? Family, friends, boss at work, coworkers, pastor at church?
    I think that the fewer that know about it the better but give me your opinion.
    No one.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links